coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

FS Speed5 - not getting on with it

Postby coffeeking » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:46 pm

Come from a (long, but sporadic) history of C kites and old Arcs, I'm really struggling to get on friendly terms with the Speed5 12. I had it out in a holey 12-16kts yesterday, which was probably pushing the lower end of usable (I'm 110kg on a 120x41 board) but I'm finding it quite slow turning and quite punchy (I'm used to getting a more consistent power delivery from my lower performance kites).

I'm seriously considering selling it at this point - I can feel it is more capable than I am, but I just can't seem to get past the "ooh, it's folded in half" or "just bloody turn...." stage and I feel like I'm not progressing because I'm fighting the kite.

I had it up on the same day as a 12 crossbow and that was significantly easier to work with (though harder to re-launch!).

Anyone any tips to stop my disappointment, before I pop it in the for sale section?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Re: FS Speed5 - not getting on with it

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:24 pm

First thing is first. I’m guessing it’s a used kite. What bar are you using? Are all lines equal when trimmed out for full power with the bar sheeted in? Have you done a bridle check?

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi Coffeeking, in my opinion it's better to wait and get used to the Speed. It is very very different from a LEI, you have to "learn" to sheet in less, to wait at the beginning of the turn and to take advantage of the different behaviour of this kite. The firs time I tested my 21 it was quite funny: I moved the kite to water start and in a second it was in the drink, I couldn't believe it was happening, I felt back to my first kiteboarding attempts so many years ago! After a couple of session I began to feel good with it, I was precise with the bar and I was able to redirect it correctly during the jumps. Keep in mind that the 21 is soooo slow, so I think the 12 should be easier to get used to.
Go on with it, I'm sure you're going to love this kite in just a couple of sessions!

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:16 pm

at 110 kilo in that wind you should be on a 15 minimum. That 12 you pull out in 16 plus kts. And get a big board like a door or shinn king g 150 by 50... absolutly essential under 14 kts or so for you. you will ride more efficiently and faster!

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:46 pm

120x41 board is too small for your weight unless you're describing a smaller hydrofoil board.
Couple of suggestions to improve the situation:
- try a 145x45 board, it helps a lot in gusty/light conditions and for your weight it's a size to look for (Flysurfer Radical5 144x46 would be awesome)
- add lines extension. The kite will feel turning "faster" and pulling more. (it screws up your jumping timing though)
- for your weight and these conditions a 12m is an aggressive call. I'd start with 14m size
- foils in gusty conditions might behave tricky (the "folding in half"). Give a try to Rally 14m or Switchblade. Just have a demo.

The cheapest option is long lines
More expensive but it's a must for 110kg - larger board

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:11 pm

Speeds like speed. You can make that 12 work in 12-16 but you have to ride fast. As many have said a bigger and specifically faster board is a must. If it’s choppy you may not be able to do it with out a race board or hydrofoil. In lulls it’s very important to maintain airspeed and not choke the kite at the bar. It’s counterintuitive, but sheet out, bear off and maintain speed.

DenisT
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone
enduro c4 edge frenzy

Postby DenisT » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:43 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:24 pm
First thing is first. I’m guessing it’s a used kite. What bar are you using? Are all lines equal when trimmed out for full power with the bar sheeted in? Have you done a bridle check?
Agree, check lines & bridles, sounds out of trim....

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m

Postby coffeeking » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:24 pm
Yep, it is a used kite with about 10 sessions on it. I'll run a bridle/mixer test and see how that pans out for sure - fair point.

I think you're right - I've got an array of boards but they're all small apart from my Celeritas (which I've not had a consistent enough wind day to try out!). I'll have a look around and see if I can find a cheap used board in that region. Thanks for the encouraegment - I was seriously considering ditching the whole sport after the 6th aborted session this year!

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:05 am

Once you have checked the bridles and lines to make sure everything is trimmed properly, wait for a windy day. Take the 12 out in 20 knots+ and send it. You will be surprised by the magical landings of your foil kite. Frankly, you are no small fry and you have no business going out with a kite that small in less that 15 knots unless you are on a hydrofoil. Ride the kite powered up and it will put a smile on your face :rollgrin:

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:18 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:05 am
Once you have checked the bridles and lines to make sure everything is trimmed properly, wait for a windy day. Take the 12 out in 20 knots+ and send it. You will be surprised by the magical landings of your foil kite. Frankly, you are no small fry and you have no business going out with a kite that small in less that 15 knots unless you are on a hydrofoil. Ride the kite powered up and it will put a smile on your face :rollgrin:
When I got my 12m I was on twin tips and I called it my miracle kite in the wind range that Fernmanus references. The fist time I sent it I almost killed someone by landing on them due to my brain not being ready for the height and hang time.

Foiling, its another matter. The Speeds are just too heavy. On a TT they rock. Also loved my 15m....pulled like a truck.

Return to “Foil Kites”