Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fly surfer soul wind range

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:46 am

Macster wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:43 am
I took my 12m Soul out on a moses fluente yesterday (80kgs). Started at 8knots and wind suddenly picked up to around 20-22 knots.

I thought I was going to die. I have the ozone race bar with 60cm of depower but it still wasnt enough. I dont know how these racers can hold down so much wind.

Came back and swapped foil board for a twin tip and did some awesome jumps but was still overpowered. I recommend keeping the 12m under 20 knots unless you weigh a bit!
I love taking my 15m out overpowered with my twintip. I’ve taken it out many times in around 25kts. You must be pretty damn light to struggle on the 12m in those winds.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:27 pm

This past week i had the occasion to try my Soul 8m in the upper range with my hydrfoil and TT to find out what was the comfortable limit. I am 188lbs and on my hydrofoil i was comfortable up to 20-22 knots and on my TT easy to hold at 30 knots but overpowered at 36 knots. Easy to jump in the higher range, great hangtime and the kite absorb the gusts very nicely, smooth ride.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:32 pm

I also have an 8m Soul and have only gotten to use it once at the lower limit of it's range, which is surprisingly good (decent power and some jumping at 15 knots), I really want to find the upper limit as I want to get a new high wind LEI and can't decide whether it needs to be a 7m, 6m or 5m Naish Pivot! I'm thinking 6m... (I only weigh 145lbs).

mikesids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate

Postby mikesids » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:11 am

Am considering a 12m Soul for twin tipping and speed kiting in 18-20 knot winds. Am 80kg. Could someone with experience on the 12m tell me how it compares power-wise with an all round 12 or 14m LEI - say a Bandit or similar? My 12m high aspect speed kite needs minimal/no depower at 18-20 knots of breeze. I won't be able to demo a Soul where I live so am trying to guesstimate the power ( and depower) from research and opinion. Thanks

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:19 am

In 18-20knots you will be powered up! I’d compare it to 13-14m LEI power-wise. 20 knots is the absolute upper limit for me but I do only weigh 65kg. Flysurfer quote 26 knots as upper limit.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:16 am

mikesids wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:11 am
Am considering a 12m Soul for twin tipping and speed kiting in 18-20 knot winds. Am 80kg. Could someone with experience on the 12m tell me how it compares power-wise with an all round 12 or 14m LEI - say a Bandit or similar? My 12m high aspect speed kite needs minimal/no depower at 18-20 knots of breeze. I won't be able to demo a Soul where I live so am trying to guesstimate the power ( and depower) from research and opinion. Thanks
I weigh about 80kgs too. I recently borrowed a 2018 11m Bandit for a week and was very impressed with the kite's wind range and low end if you actively flew it
. I could do about 12-14 knots low end all the way up to 30 knots. It wasnt fun until about 16 knots though. All on a twin tip.

The 12m soul is happy enough at 12 knots, it can maybe drop down to 10 knots absolute low end and I have had it into the low 20 knots.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:21 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:46 am
Macster wrote:
I took my 12m Soul out on a moses fluente yesterday (80kgs). Started at 8knots and wind suddenly picked up to around 20-22 knots.

I thought I was going to die. I have the ozone race bar with 60cm of depower but it still wasnt enough. I dont know how these racers can hold down so much wind.

Came back and swapped foil board for a twin tip and did some awesome jumps but was still overpowered. I recommend keeping the 12m under 20 knots unless you weigh a bit!
I love taking my 15m out overpowered with my twintip. I’ve taken it out many times in around 25kts. You must be pretty damn light to struggle on the 12m in those winds.
Yeah I watched some of your videos and you're in good shape and not heavy looking, so full credit for wrangling that beast in such winds!

I must be getting soft as I amost equally hate being overpowered nowdays as being underpowered.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Macster wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:21 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:46 am
Macster wrote:

Yeah I watched some of your videos and you're in good shape and not heavy looking, so full credit for wrangling that beast in such winds!

I must be getting soft as I amost equally hate being overpowered nowdays as being underpowered.
Thanks. I usually don’t enjoy being overpowered on foil kites since they tend to be sketchy but the Soul is different. My bar is setup for a lot of throw(depower) so that might have to do with it as well.

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Portland
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one bandit 11m 2018
F-one bandit 9m 2018
F-one Mitu pro surf board
Flyradical 5 twin tip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bossstyle » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:16 am

Awesome video. I note when your jumping you under loop lots I’m new to foil kiting having only the 15m soul and only got to use it once so far. I see when you downloop you also tilt the bar down towards the water at the same time as pulling on the front hand. What effect does this have in the jump and kite? How does it effect the kite loop power wise please?
haiku wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:26 am
Just to show what the Soul 12 is capable to offer in a wind range of 10-14 Knots here's the video of my first summer session with It.
PS: my weight is 76 kilos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nJq18rOKcY

Cheers

Carlo

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL
Has thanked: 0

Postby fogmeister » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:19 pm

i was out boosting on my hydrofoil yesterday with the 12m soul in gusty winds got into a stretch of 20-25 kts with gusts to thirty. riding with the foil at 12 oclock was no problem, then tacking hard upwind powered fully sheeted out for a boost............................now this isnt fun cruising around effortlesly on the hydrofoil , it was for boosting, i could and should have been on 10. But the range is large on these kites! i should mention i only weigh 65kg.

Return to “Foil Kites”