Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Bar recommendations

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:51 am

andylc wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:43 pm
The Bridge crew have proto bars I know, apparently it may be out in September but I’m not sure how reliable this is.

How does a brake line interfere with launching and relaunching exactly? I do use it for self landing - it’s useful to loop around a stake and keep the kite on the ground although I’m sure I’d manage some other way if I didn’t have one. How to people without one do it when required?
Do you know what it looks like? Is it a dramatic change or kinda more of the same? I would be surprise they release a new bar separately from releasing a new kite. I've tried the OASE forum to find any info but haven't had any luck.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:44 am

Adventure Logs wrote: The flysurfer bar is decent but there’s issues that they never have corrected like bungees to secure the lines which never work, grip that easily gets damaged and those damn bar floaters which always tears. The latest infinity 3.0 CC is pretty good but I’m curious to see what the new 4.0 has in store. I expect the new bar to be released with the need Speed/Sonic so that won’t be happening till new yearish I’m betting. Anyone have any spy pics of the new bar? I know they’ve been testing it for awhile.
To be honest this is most bar problems or most bars have problems. The big problem with bars is the chicken loop, very few people us it or need it. Few brands are willing to step away from the norm, but flysurfer has consistently show it can make it's own path. My hopes are a little high but not very. Ultimately you just don't see any great innovation from the big brands. The bar is a simple device, it is best not overdone, kept lite, efficient, functional. I was really sad when flysurfer stopped using carbon in their bars, it was a big down step for the brand.

I would love to see licensed or just taken up Toby's "Strictly Hooked" motto, and the release of "Strictly hooked" bars.
andylc wrote: How does a brake line interfere with launching and relaunching exactly?
You have much more control with each side individually held. In very light wind say 4 knots or even a bit less, you need to relaunch in stages. First lift the kite off and rotate it. Often you need to swim against the kite to do this. You have limited time you can swim that hard or limited time when you get a small gust. You need to raise and rotate the kite as fast as possible. One side needs to go from full reverse flight to full forward flight in an instant. You let go of one side to do this. You can even do this one handed by feeling the balls lol.

Generally with relaunch having control on both sides just makes things so much more in control. When I watch Ozone riders with straps I cringe. They have trouble and get into and can't get out of situations that it doesn't need to be that way. Sure you can mess well up with balls, but you can learn things you can't with a strap.

Even for riding, you can use the leaders or balls to correct things or do things.
andylc wrote: it’s useful to loop around a stake and keep the kite on the ground although I’m sure I’d manage some other way if I didn’t have one. How to people without one do it when required?
You can wrap your bar around the center, or leash both rear leaders to the depower rope. I usual just walk up all 4 lines. You land reverse, hold leaders in the center with depower rope with one hand. Disconnect from the kite. Next hand up to the 4 lines. Then hand to hand walk up the lines. Care not to stand such that lines could catch you if you drop then. Once you are at half way and if the lines are slipping or kite is hard to hold, you can let go of one side or even 3 of the lines to flag it. Of all things you can let go of the whole kite, if you are smart and do this from the start in a place it is safe to do that. It does not take much to stop a foil on the ground, if something catches the fabric or a bridle they 99% of the time won't power much. They are really different from LEIs like that.

Yes a brake strap seems simpler to land and it largely is. But again more control with both rear lines and you can land off center and in tighter places. A brake strap is something with a lot of negatives that don't outweigh any benefit.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:51 am

I meant to go have a look but forgot! Steph agreed that their current bar and lines isn’t the best but said the new one is really nice - not much help really..!

And yes I have landed by walking up the lines. The Soul is very easy to relaunch and haven’t needed to use brake lines for this so far. I have not experienced any negatives from the brake line so far so I’m still using it!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:40 am

Have you only used a brake line? Because I would be surprised if you have used the other way, and still saw no negatives.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:43 am

Séb wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:27 am
baxterbradford wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:22 pm
I'm using the Core Sensor 2S with my 18m Soul. It works fine despite at 54cm being shorter than the recommended 60cm for the 18m.
Sorry but even if i love it, the Core Sensor2 bar is in fact not suitable to ride with a high aspect foil kite like the Soul. You just can't securely flag the kite with this bar. This is pretty dangerous if you are not aware of that. Also this bar is 52cm but that's fine.
The Core Sensor 2 is now a single safety flagging line just like the Flysurfer infinity 3.0. Did you know this and are you speaking from experience i.e. you tried it and it didnt work? Thanks

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:25 pm

Macster wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:43 am
The Core Sensor 2 is now a single safety flagging line just like the Flysurfer infinity 3.0. Did you know this and are you speaking from experience i.e. you tried it and it didnt work? Thanks
It is not a regular front line safety system. Their system is different and is almost mid point between a two lines safety and single line safety as it slide via a ring and transfer some tension to the second line. Check their website to see what i mean. When you flag a foil kite like a 18m Soul, the lenght of the flag line is too short to fully depower the high aspect foil kite and it won't work and is in fact dangerous. And yes i speak from experience and know the Core bars very well as i am a dealer.

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:11 pm

foilholio wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:44 am
Ultimately you just don't see any great innovation from the big brands. The bar is a simple device, it is best not overdone, kept lite, efficient, functional.
I would like the bar you can feel under water if you grab it correctly or not. Simple thing to improve safety.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:39 pm

Séb wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:25 pm
Macster wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:43 am
It is not a regular front line safety system. Their system is different and is almost mid point between a two lines safety and single line safety as it slide via a ring and transfer some tension to the second line. Check their website to see what i mean. When you flag a foil kite like a 18m Soul, the lenght of the flag line is too short to fully depower the high aspect foil kite and it won't work and is in fact dangerous. And yes i speak from experience and know the Core bars very well as i am a dealer.
Ok thanks. I would like to use it on an 8m and 12m (not an 18m). Do you think that would be ok? The site says the core sensor 2 will flag 4.9m. My North is about the same but I think my Cabrinha and Ozone were nearly double that distance...

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:47 am

@Macster: i can't tell you as it depend on the AR of the kite, best thing is to try it in LW like we did on larger size foil kites like Diablo and Sonic kites from 11 to 18m size.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:50 pm

For foil kite the front line safety moving range should be about the wing span of the kite. So lay your kite on the ground, move the bar to safety stopper knot and tension safety-side bridles. Check if other side bridles are lose. If not - kite will loop while on safety. For flagging out bridles cannot have any tension.

Return to “Foil Kites”