Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Ozone R1 V3 is out?

Postby gmb13 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:00 am

Now it's actually officially online:

https://ozonekites.com/products/water-kites/r1-v3/

Mine arrive in about 2 weeks, so stay tuned for a quick review before christmas.
--
Gunnar

keskopesko
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Grado, Seča Portorož
Favorite Beaches: Lago Santa Croce I, Pelješac Cro, Bol Cro
Gear: Moses Onda, 590
Ozone Chrono R1V2, Slingshot SST
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Ozone
Been thanked: 0

Postby keskopesko » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:08 pm

Waiting for you Gunnar :)

thank you,
Ales

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Johhnn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:20 pm

Looking forward to your review as well.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:08 pm

I'm very interested by this description, "OUR UNDERSTANDING OF TRUE RACE PERFORMANCE IS NOT ONLY RAW POWER AND SPEED – IT IS THE COMBINATION OF EVERY ASPECT OF A KITES CHARACTERISTICS, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HOW EASY IT IS TO ACCESS ITS FULL POTENTIAL."

I've been on the Flysurfer VMG for a few months. Performance is amazing, but is in no way easy. It is crazy fast, but I crash a lot more often. Interested to see if all kites are going this direction, speed at the expense of ease, or if this statement from ozone is true.

Mlkman
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Instincts
Nobile kites
Nobile board
Surftech boards and SUP:s
Brand Affiliation: Ozone Importer
Nobile Importer
Surftech Importer
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mlkman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:13 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:08 pm
I'm very interested by this description, "OUR UNDERSTANDING OF TRUE RACE PERFORMANCE IS NOT ONLY RAW POWER AND SPEED – IT IS THE COMBINATION OF EVERY ASPECT OF A KITES CHARACTERISTICS, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HOW EASY IT IS TO ACCESS ITS FULL POTENTIAL."

I've been on the Flysurfer VMG for a few months. Performance is amazing, but is in no way easy. It is crazy fast, but I crash a lot more often. Interested to see if all kites are going this direction, speed at the expense of ease, or if this statement from ozone is true.
Interesting you picked up on this. To me, this is the biggest difference between Ozone design filosofi compared to how other brands put it.
I also think that this is the divider in any high performance equipment sport. Same would be true also for racecars, bikes, boats, etc. For kite race I imagine falling just once, or having to play safe in a tricky situation and loose a tactical advantage due to that, would have bigger impact on your race performance then slightly faster, or small differences in angle on the tacks/downwinds. Obviously there would be somewhere these two attributes meet, where you get max usability to the smallest potential cost of performance.
It will be very interesting to see how Ozone have managed, if they got it right. And also to see if other brands starts following.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Mlkman wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:13 pm
Interesting you picked up on this. To me, this is the biggest difference between Ozone design filosofi compared to how other brands put it.
I wouldnt say ozone is the one brand with this philosophy. In the first gen race kites, I found the Flysurfer sonic to be more user friendly than the Chrono. 2nd gen the F-One diablo was definitely easier to fly fast than the R1V1. Sonic 2 was very user-friendly as well.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Mlkman wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:13 pm
To me, this is the biggest difference between Ozone design filosofi compared to how other brands put it.

It will be very interesting to see how Ozone have managed, if they got it right. And also to see if other brands starts following.
LOL no, it was Ozone who started this race kite thing (except some Russian small brands for snowkiting) with their Chrono v1. I remember very well first encounter with them, constant collapses after collapses... I felt sorry for those guys who had bought them.

Later they got used to them, learnt how to fly and tune them correctly or at least how to survive with them. Performance was great though, Chronos beat Speeds with considerably margin, both speed and upwind.

How Ozone now managed with R1V3 - apparently just as well as you can expect high performance kite from top manufacturer does. But there will be no "following" for sure, better not to be dazzled by marketing phrases.

queneseb
Medium Poster
Gear: Peterlynn NOVA
Peterlynn AEROv2
Peterlynn HOOK
Brand Affiliation: Peterlynn
Chubanga
Has thanked: 0

Postby queneseb » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Lol, its just r1v2 with NicoP small briddle...

They are the same like 1.5year ago... and Ika register.. they registered the kite and then not released... and now come back to the market :rollgrin:

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:08 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:27 pm
it was Ozone who started this race kite thing (except some Russian small brands for snowkiting) with their Chrono v1.
Elf kites were also present on water race-board class by their russian team riders and they did very well on events they participated. I think Elena Kalinina won most of her starts. Dorovin did well too on mens. Sorry if I got the names wrong. But that year women's world champion was riding Speed-series. But Elf riders would probably won the titles if they participated more. That woke Ozone.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Anyone know if there is a price increase from r1v2? Theses are the only prices I've seen, and seem to be the same as v2: https://www.ozonekites.de/produkte/foilkites/r1v3/

Return to “Foil Kites”