ozone Hyperlink V2 wishes

For all foil kite riders
kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: ozone Hyperlink V2 wishes

Postby kitexpert » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:18 pm

This shows how bridle line length (and drag) can be cut 15-20%, maybe more. Rest of the kite is same. It could be improved but then it wouldn't be Hyperlink any more but some other kite.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:24 pm

@Tom - Those modifications you’ve stated are in essence a total redesign of the HL
The HL was designed to meet a given functional criteria which has been met, how well it functions (Non-functional requirements) is matter of personal opinion.
My HL 12m works perfectly well for me, the option to configure the HL to open cell was part of the design remit for a kite that covers all terrains if you so desire to use that option.

It would be nice to see “tuneable speed system” as standard and not as an optional extra.
Having said that, thanks to the “Ozone Speed System Adjustment thread viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2390593 I have made my own version which works perfectly well.

The Soul
Having read the design spec, watched many videos and read many positive reviews the Soul in my opinion is an excellent kite without question.
Designed and manufactured by Flysurfer who have been making Closed Cell Foils since 2001. Marketed for all terrains like the HL, but the Soul presents many years of accumulative knowledge in terms of design,features and functionality.
My views are from someone who has never owned or even flown a Soul/ Flysurfer kite.
Last edited by mgs on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:33 pm

BTW, the design of Hyperlink (and mine variation above) are very very balanced ones. Cell count, AR, inner structures, air intakes and bridle configuration relate to each other nearly perfectly.

For many foil kites that is not the case.

Of course cell count could be higher, but it would be different kite then.

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:21 pm

Sizes: 13,9,6,4.
Closed cell only to reduce hindenburg tendency/improve drift. No mash on air inlets.
Velcro deflate opening.
Outside inlets closer to center to prevent water inflush during relounch.
Mini ribs on 7 outer cells to improve turning ability.
Additional strings in critical places to help the kite maintain shape in luls.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Mlkman wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:11 pm
I struggle to understand why Soul is compared with Hyperlink? It is similar to comparing a C-kite to a allround-freestyle tube. Both are great but for different things. Is it a marketing thing from FS, or where did it come from?
Its because both kites are marketed at the cross over point from LEI to foil kite. They both use similar marketing terms to capture first time foil flyers (easy relaunch by pulling on a steering line, responsive steering etc)

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:15 pm
Mlkman wrote:
I struggle to understand why Soul is compared with Hyperlink? It is similar to comparing a C-kite to a allround-freestyle tube. Both are great but for different things. Is it a marketing thing from FS, or where did it come from?
Its because both kites are marketed at the cross over point from LEI to foil kite. They both use similar marketing terms to capture first time foil flyers (easy relaunch by pulling on a steering line, responsive steering etc)
Not quite true. The only time LEI is referenced in the Soul marketing is when they talk about the one line relaunch. The Fact is, is that the Soul has replaced the Speed and is not in the same category as the Hyperlink. If anything you need to compare the Hyperlink to the Unity, which was Flysurfers failed attempt at that type of kite.

I hope the V2 will not change too much. I love the way the HyperlinkV1 works. I agree, having the pro tune system on the kite as standard would be nice. I would also like 12 to have lighter bar forces and turn tighter.

What I really do not want is more performance (lift). It has more than enough for that type of kite. I love the fact that the Hyperlink can be thrown around aggressively on a Foilboard and that there are no massive power spikes to deal with.

--
Gunnar

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:32 pm

flying grandpa wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:21 pm
Sizes: 13,9,6,4.
Closed cell only to reduce hindenburg tendency/improve drift. No mash on air inlets.
Velcro deflate opening.
Outside inlets closer to center to prevent water inflush during relounch.
Mini ribs on 7 outer cells to improve turning ability.
Additional strings in critical places to help the kite maintain shape in luls.
agree!
Outside inlets do grab water if in any small chop waves. But then tip inflate would be delayed.

Why would making closed cell only be a " total redesign " of the kite ?

PostMan
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone, Flysurfer, Skywalk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby PostMan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:15 pm

gmb13 wrote:
nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:15 pm
Mlkman wrote:
Not quite true. The only time LEI is referenced in the Soul marketing is when they talk about the one line relaunch. The Fact is, is that the Soul has replaced the Speed and is not in the same category as the Hyperlink. If anything you need to compare the Hyperlink to the Unity, which was Flysurfers failed attempt at that type of kite.

I hope the V2 will not change too much. I love the way the HyperlinkV1 works. I agree, having the pro tune system on the kite as standard would be nice. I would also like 12 to have lighter bar forces and turn tighter.

What I really do not want is more performance (lift). It has more than enough for that type of kite. I love the fact that the Hyperlink can be thrown around aggressively on a Foilboard and that there are no massive power spikes to deal with.

--
Gunnar
Totally agree. I used Flysurfers from 2006 to 2017 and loved them (except the Unity, really hated that one). The Soul is an incredible kite, but yes, it slides into the Speed's spot now. Comparing the Hyperlink to a Speed/Soul is pretty much pointless in my opinion since they have different roles. That's my frustration with FS lately - too much product overlap. The Hyperlink, Chrono, and R1 are all nicely separated by their function and purpose.

Back on topic to the Hyperlink V2 wish list:

- Adjustable bridle
- A little more water tight

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 pm

to summarize- wonder if Ozone will listen to us..

- velcro dump sock
- closed cell only- no zippers on vents
- mini ribs
- move outside inlets (?)
- Adjustable bridle - adjustable speed system ( protune) - at least offer as option when ordering...

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:37 pm

TomW wrote: to summarize- wonder if Ozone will listen to us..

- velcro dump sock
- closed cell only- no zippers on vents
- mini ribs
- move outside inlets (?)
- Adjustable bridle - adjustable speed system ( protune) - at least offer as option when ordering...
And let's not forget smarter and simpler bridle, which cuts total line length and line drag considerably. A bit more substance to Ozone's "minimal bridle line plan" wouldn't hurt no one?

Return to “Foil Kites”