SpunMonkey
Medium Poster
Style: Directionals, foils, and sailing
Gear: Foils, underwater and in the air
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

DIY Strapped Board

Postby SpunMonkey » Thu May 22, 2014 1:07 am

Hello All . In an effort to keep costs down and get into a faster foil than the one I learned on, My new foil board is a modification of an old cabrinha 178(Heavy Wind race Board as they called it..)

Ive been doing all the mods and laminating using what I had access to directly around me. Basically what I could bum, borrow and trade favors for. The Board will use a tuttle box in a position forward of the aft foot strap. Ive chosen to not use the Chinook style polycarbonate fittings for the straps because i couldn't find them locally, and I felt i could easily use G10 which resin will stick to. The G10 was cut and helicoiled and then laminated to another piece so that the holes are blind. The lower piece is also wider than the top threaded bit.

Here is what is left to do:

I'll probably bag the aft end. Right now I just filled it with thickened resin.
All the strap thread g10 plates will get a couple layers of glass along with the top of the tuttle.
Tuttle must be router d out and fastener holes drilled.
I don't plan on filling the old fin boxes. Just weight, the G10 adds enough.

Trying my best to add pics in the right order.
Attachments
IMG_1715.jpg
IMG_0113.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg
IMG_0154.jpg
IMG_0167.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg

SpunMonkey
Medium Poster

Re: DIY Strapped Board

Postby SpunMonkey » Thu May 22, 2014 1:13 am

Here is a picture of the rocker profile. The Board is now 5' or about 1.52m along the bottom of the board.
Attachments
IMG_0116.jpg

SpunMonkey
Medium Poster

Postby SpunMonkey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:18 pm

Wanted to update for anyone who did find any interest in this project. The board weighs in at a whopping 12 pounds! For all this weight though I do get a board that I can easly drop on the rocks or do as I please with. It has also been a great learning tool. I have had the pleasure now of riding a few different boards with modern foils now. A couple of things:

Tail rocker is nice. My next board will have maybe 3/4" of tail rocker to pop up off of.

The farther inboard footstrap helps in the beginning. When getting onto a high aspect wing foil from a low aspect foil it is like staring over. I set up the board with the front strap holes either at 1.25" or 2" off center. I've found myself enjoying the inboard position better, staying in column seems easier while I get accustomed to the sensitivity to faster shapes underwater. I expect the outboard position may work better once I can really get this thing going as it may help with the tacks.

No back strap doesn't hurt in the beginning. Easy to kick this thing away with only one foot in.

Float is fun. Displacement though seeming strange thing to talk about with foils is a good thing. The speed needed to learn to get these shapes off the water is a lot. Having a stable platform to cruise until you are ready for flight is a time saver. I spent lots of time on an old carafino learning strapless. Every time you touch down you come off. With a big board you get another chance often.

Almost time to build a proper lightweight board. For now though this indestructible thing is fun.

SpunMonkey
Medium Poster

Postby SpunMonkey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:21 pm

image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg

paulOz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Hampton and Brighton, Victoria Australia.
Style: HF WW in order of preference.
Gear: KBHF - Jshapes (wonderful)
OR flites

Postby paulOz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:07 pm

Good job. There are probably many like me. Quietly warching from the background. I have my own project happening v slowly in the background.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:14 am

Really cool!

Looks like what you did worked out great, but my 2 cents:
-It's better to cut the carbon fiber or fiberglass with rounded corners instead of hard corners to avoid stress concentrations
-Not sure if you did multiple layers, but if you do it is best to make the multiple layers different sizes, getting larger as you go out, so you don't have a really stiff/strong part where you had multiple layers and then a flexy/weak spot all at once. Smooth transitions in strength and stiffeness are key.

How long did it take you to do the mods? Considering whether it is worth the money to buy a board already set up for the foil or convert one that I already have

SpunMonkey
Medium Poster

Postby SpunMonkey » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:51 am

Thanks Dave.

There are probably six full hours into this, it was a lone project so every batch of epoxy and step was for this board only. Having helped a friend modify a board recently, there is definitely a cost savings if you can do all the steps yourself, have the tools handy and know how to use them. The board will be heavier than anything purpose built though. Sanding is the time killer. (Definately Vacuum bag, Peel Ply) Going forward, I will take what I learned and apply it to a new foam blank which I expect will have the same time in hours as this one did to complete.

Regarding the Carbon reinforcement of the Tuttle box: There are a couple layers of carbon- the second bigger than the first. I get the point about the stress concentrations though am not worried. This board would take a serious grounding to rattle that tuttlebox. At that point I might be throwing the board away as well as likely needing a new foil.

If you've recycled the board from something you didn't ride anyway, It really wouldn't hurt would it?

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Arcsrule » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:35 am

good job! but...i especially like your shop--nice toys to play with :)

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:53 am

Nice work spunmonkey! I've been riding a home made foil with the bolt on setup, but just bought one that requires Tuttle box.

If you don't mind, will you please post instructions on how to install the Tuttle with enough strength? My foil will not flat so I'm terribly afraid of doing this wrong

SpunMonkey
Medium Poster

Postby SpunMonkey » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:36 pm

Thank you.

The Tuttle installation sure seems strong. Adding foam to the Tuttle seems to make this connection solid- so much surface area now to adhere to. Just use lots of filler, resin itself isn't that strong and you'll cook the foam with too much resin. Board lady has great instructions. I added some carbon to the bottom bridging the Tuttle and the board. I've seen some very lightly built boards handle everyday riding. I suspect most of what ends up being built is way over engineered. Have fun with it and good luck!!

Return to “Gear Builders”