Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: DIY Strapped Board

Postby darippah » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:35 am

SpunMonkey wrote:Thank you.

The Tuttle installation sure seems strong. Adding foam to the Tuttle seems to make this connection solid- so much surface area now to adhere to. Just use lots of filler, resin itself isn't that strong and you'll cook the foam with too much resin. Board lady has great instructions. I added some carbon to the bottom bridging the Tuttle and the board. I've seen some very lightly built boards handle everyday riding. I suspect most of what ends up being built is way over engineered. Have fun with it and good luck!!
Thanks! I'll keep you posted on how it comes out. Another issue I've just encountered is my Kiteboard that I planned to install the Tuttle box in isn't quite thick enough to fit the entire tuttle box. it would have to stick out the bottom of the board by about 1/2 an inch or so ...

Kind of defeats the purpose of the tuttle so I think I'm going to just install the tuttle in a regular surfboard of mine. my question is , aside from reinforcing the deck with some glass, do I need to reinforce any other areas of the board? Such as the bottom of the board towards the nose so that it can handle some nosedive wipe outs?

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby ptraykovski » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:06 am

someone else please correct me if i'm wrong, but you should be able to to cut the the top of the tuttle box off. I just got a box that was about 4in deep:

http://shop.fiberglasssupply.com/Sailbo ... Box_W.html

and cut it to 2.25" deep in the front and about 2" in the back, then glassed over the top.

I might have to grind the tuttle insert of my foil a little to 2" in the back as I think it 2.25 all the way across but haven't gotten it yet.

If your board has much less than 2 thickness then tuttle might be a bad choice as it needs some depth to be strong.

wil
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Raglan, Tauranga New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki
Style: free ride
Gear: Switch Kites and Decay boards, Naish Venturi, NJS CF6, Makaira Zeeko foil, Home made foil Clearwater creations wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby wil » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:01 pm

What skid material did you put on the top?

cosmo
Medium Poster

Postby cosmo » Mon May 02, 2016 7:10 pm

inspire by the original post, I do my best to recycle my old Aguera to a foilboard...not easy in a apartment.

cosmo
Medium Poster

Postby cosmo » Mon May 02, 2016 7:13 pm

Return to “Gear Builders”