Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Budget low tech kite hydrofoil DIY build a long

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
max
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Budget low tech kite hydrofoil DIY build a long

Postby max » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:19 pm

I have been reading all the build threads and all the learner tips and looking to build a foil and just reading more . . . and time passes and still just reading.

Everyone who tries foiling seems to be instantly converted once they feel the power of the foil so I had to stop procrastinating and put something together to try it.

Here is my basic set-up. Not impressive like the carbon masterpiece in the post on the previous page.

IMG_0766.JPG
IMG_0766.JPG (190.94 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG (171.77 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
IMG_0769.JPG
IMG_0769.JPG (123.95 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

Tried it for the first time yesterday. Was able to water start and ride back and forth and after a while, ride very short distances out of the water using the foil. Felt safe with no straps and also not being very far off the water with the short mast made the touch downs from the foil lifting out of the water and then dropping as I reacted poorly easy to recover from (apart from the first few attempts where soon after i water started, the foil seemed to launch itself vertically and throw me off).

Believe I am smitten . . . can't wait for the next go :D

At this stage, can not imagine that a first go on a 1m length foil using a board with footstraps would have had the same outcome. Perhaps slingshot's flight school masts are the way to easy learning for the average person.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:58 pm

No doubt a short mast will make the first bit easier. I think there is risk of sticking with it too long. There are many many learning stages to foiling and it's really important to keep the end game in mind. That being full time flight, through every transition. The learning comes fast and furious and you can literally pull something new the first 50 sessions. That feeds the stoke like crazy. I have found it really helpful to push your own progression hard. As soon as you are batting 50% on whatever key skill your working on, you should try the next thing. For instance, once you make a few surface transitions, try it flying. You will gain insight that works well to get the current skill on lock. By doing this, my surface transition began to take on the timing and flow of a flying transition and learning accelerated. As soon as you can water start, do it with a kite loop. As soon as you can transition with the kite going across the top, try it with a downloop. As soon as you fly a few jibes, try a tack. Pushing your learning curve relentlessly will get you to the end goal in no time. Short masts should be the type of thing that people sell to the next guy quickly to help them with that initial couple sessions. I really don't think you do yourself any favors riding it for a month. Expose yourself to the the feel of 1m ride height and do it early. It will be old hat and completely normal in no time.

Have fun, learn fast, ride tons, share your stoke, and welcome to your new addiction.

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards

Postby Denisesewa » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Starsky wrote:No doubt a short mast will make the first bit easier. I think there is risk of sticking with it too long. There are many many learning stages to foiling and it's really important to keep the end game in mind. That being full time flight, through every transition. The learning comes fast and furious and you can literally pull something new the first 50 sessions. That feeds the stoke like crazy. I have found it really helpful to push your own progression hard. As soon as you are batting 50% on whatever key skill your working on, you should try the next thing. For instance, once you make a few surface transitions, try it flying. You will gain insight that works well to get the current skill on lock. By doing this, my surface transition began to take on the timing and flow of a flying transition and learning accelerated. As soon as you can water start, do it with a kite loop. As soon as you can transition with the kite going across the top, try it with a downloop. As soon as you fly a few jibes, try a tack. Pushing your learning curve relentlessly will get you to the end goal in no time. Short masts should be the type of thing that people sell to the next guy quickly to help them with that initial couple sessions. I really don't think you do yourself any favors riding it for a month. Expose yourself to the the feel of 1m ride height and do it early. It will be old hat and completely normal in no time.

Have fun, learn fast, ride tons, share your stoke, and welcome to your new addiction.
I couldn't agree more! , even a month on a super short mast is probably too long, just holds you back.

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."

Mikey
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Northern Adriatic
East coast Australia
Favorite Beaches: One I can kite at (and my gear is with me)
Style: very unstylish!
Gear: PL twinskins / BRM Cloud2 17, D_1 13, D10
Home made boards (TTs, Low volume Kipuna style & 6'22 Simons style)

Postby Mikey » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:56 pm

Cheap wing template ? :wink: [attachment=0]image.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
image.jpeg

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:36 pm

Mikey wrote:Cheap wing template ? :wink: image.jpeg
Just slap some carbon on that puppy and you're done :lol:

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:52 pm

Starsky wrote:No doubt a short mast will make the first bit easier. I think there is risk of sticking with it too long. There are many many learning stages to foiling and it's really important to keep the end game in mind. That being full time flight, through every transition. The learning comes fast and furious and you can literally pull something new the first 50 sessions. That feeds the stoke like crazy. I have found it really helpful to push your own progression hard. As soon as you are batting 50% on whatever key skill your working on, you should try the next thing. For instance, once you make a few surface transitions, try it flying. You will gain insight that works well to get the current skill on lock. By doing this, my surface transition began to take on the timing and flow of a flying transition and learning accelerated. As soon as you can water start, do it with a kite loop. As soon as you can transition with the kite going across the top, try it with a downloop. As soon as you fly a few jibes, try a tack. Pushing your learning curve relentlessly will get you to the end goal in no time. Short masts should be the type of thing that people sell to the next guy quickly to help them with that initial couple sessions. I really don't think you do yourself any favors riding it for a month. Expose yourself to the the feel of 1m ride height and do it early. It will be old hat and completely normal in no time.

Starsky . . . sounds like great advice . . . have read your comment more than a few times and agree entirely.

Have watched the first learners in my area take a pounding. We have onshore winds the majority of the time and very shallow drop-off, hence the short mast when the opportunity arose. It is half of a friend's original 1m mast that bent after a few uses and was discarded in my direction. Excellent opportunity I thought.

Also liked your advice to Plummet (about foil building) on another thread. Have had my eyes on the Blue and White Zeeko alloy foil since it came out and that looks likely to be my first purchase :)

The 4 or 5 foilers in my area are full on into the racing side and ride the serious full carbon weapons. Am not interested in the racing side . . . got interested once I saw the Drexler vids . . . though only time will tell what i will actually end up liking.

Like many others who kite, I am of the older generation so time is precious. Any foil builds will come after I have developed some foil riding skills.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:10 pm

Max I think your build is great. It will teach you to fly and that is priceless. I bet building can be super fulfilling, but how can it hold a candle to riding? Good on you. I have given many thanks that foiling has come along while I'm still able to tackle it. Once dialed, it is by far the easiest form of kiteboarding on the body and I hope we are both flying well into our respective sunsets.

I jumped right into it with the first gen of alloy foil from Zeeko and love it. I did take a beating all last fall. All pretty minor but a quality beating just the same. Feel like I'm over the hump and bordering on full competence. Certainly by the end of summer.

I'm genuinely stoked for builds like yours. Get at er and go from there and when it comes time that Zeeko will not disappoint.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:56 am

Mikey wrote:Cheap wing template ? :wink: image.jpeg
interesting...

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:23 am

dihedral tho

Mikey
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Northern Adriatic
East coast Australia
Favorite Beaches: One I can kite at (and my gear is with me)
Style: very unstylish!
Gear: PL twinskins / BRM Cloud2 17, D_1 13, D10
Home made boards (TTs, Low volume Kipuna style & 6'22 Simons style)

Postby Mikey » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:07 am

Great comments guys!

I too am being drawn in. I have several homemade boards that can be repurposed and a supply of materials to build v. cheaply. The "not hard on the body" thing is also attractive, as well as the light wind aspect.

What's not to like :)

Return to “Gear Builders”