Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What happened to DIY

Postby Denisesewa » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:20 am

bigcane wrote:Agreed, unless you already have the tools and vacuum pump, etc then it seems cheaper to buy an entry level foil especially if you buy used. I have no regrets with my homebuild wood core foil though, its lightweight, easy to ride, stable but still fast enough to be fun. I am planning to build another one this winter and apply the learnings from the first build. The stiffness and the quality of profile of the mast will be the focus. I am also considering to bond everything permanently together except the tail wing as i don't plan to travel with it. I am thinking this will make it stronger, easier to build and also more streamlined/faster. Anyone else done this? What are the downsides?
https://vimeo.com/134895729
Yep, two of my 3 DIY foils are one unit except for the tail wing, sure made the build easier , likely much stronger as well and no issues that I can think of, transport hasnt been a problem.
Tahoedirk- I have been dissapointed in the lack of interest as well, not much point in taking the time to post my board and foil builds when no-one gives a $@^%.
I also agree with Rev, there is a certain sense of accomplishment when riding stuff you've built yourself and hanging with the high dollar stuff, if you are carefull with materials purchases you can build boards and foils at 1/4 to 1/3 the price of commercial.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:47 am

bigcane wrote: I am also considering to bond everything permanently together except the tail wing as i don't plan to travel with it. I am thinking this will make it stronger, easier to build and also more streamlined/faster. Anyone else done this? What are the downsides?
https://vimeo.com/134895729
My high wind, fav and most used, KBHF is built just like that!
Permanent layups of bibias at the strut to board plate, strut to fuse and F wing to fuse.
As I feel the stab,R wing; AoA is set to my liking I also hesitate to lay it up also.
Has to be stronger no?
R H

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tkettlepoint » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:57 am

the season of the diy stuff is soon coming back... I will have a few pictures of my foil very soon. summer is a busy time of the year for most. Winter is my laid back .. Keep a watch I will post some pictures

terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

Return to “Gear Builders”