Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Full composite wings.

Postby TomW » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:10 pm

I'm not building any yet, but if I was going to, I can see several options :
1. model them in Solidworks or Rhino and print them out on a 3D printer and v-Bag on carbon and glass. I would model them smaller with compensation for laminate thickness. The 3d prints could even be made in top and bottom halves and filled with carbon resin and glued together, then laminate outside. Might be difficult to keep overall shape totally symmetrical. 3D prints warp and some change shape with humidity. With some simple jigs it might work.
2. Model like above, but mill out of cibatool high density foam or wood and then vbag on laminate. You could even make a wood and carbon " plywood " and mill that, creating custom core that has some stiffness, spring and more stability in core.
3. Low tech way is to model it in CAD and print out paper templates and Shape it by hand in cibatool or softer wood/plywood . And vbag laminated.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:52 am

Yep, many ways to 'skin a cat' :) I would be careful with plastic, since epoxy might produce a lot of heat and warp the mold.
The wings are submerged most of the time, would any moisture trapped in the wood cause a problem? Foam might be a solution but again, if not perfectly wrapped in carbon the moisture might go in as with wood.

So as I can see it, epoxy is the only option to avoid any delam caused by moisture (salt).

Two wings are ready for carbon:
DSC_0019 (Medium).JPG
This one is balancing on a pencil to prove that the weight is right. As I've learned with a mold, my desk wasn't level, producing thicker wing on one side :)

Slightly sanded it before I wrap them in carbon. Planning to do that this weekend.

D.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards
Has thanked: 0

Postby bay surfer » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Thin wood usually soaks up epoxy will making it almost waterproof, but anyway its encased in glass. Same reason I use wheat flour for thickning/fliller for epoxy its very cheap!
Just a note If you can make a mold that can withstand some heat that's curvy with winglits/anhedral, you could use some prepeg Materal/carbon and (form it) then bake.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:07 am

bay surfer wrote:Thin wood usually soaks up epoxy will making it almost waterproof, but anyway its encased in glass. Same reason I use wheat flour for thickning/fliller for epoxy its very cheap!
Just a note If you can make a mold that can withstand some heat that's curvy with winglits/anhedral, you could use some prepeg Materal/carbon and (form it) then bake.
More googling. I'm thinking vac bagging is about my limit though :o

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:55 am

So I went ahead and gave making a full composite wing since I finally got some days off from work. My method was simple. I made one solid piece using carbon twill 6oz cloth, and 12oz biax with 6oz mat fiberglass. From the bottom up I did 2 layers of carbon the 2 layers of glass and then 2 more layers of carbon. I thin started making smaller layers of glass and staggering them to make the foil. 7 layers in all followed by a smaller piece of carbon. Then I capped it with 2 more full sheets of glass. I did the last two layers of glass to smooth out the 7 staggered layers and give a buffer for sanding down smooth. I vacuumed bagged the whole thing to get out excess resin. Finished it off with 2 layers of carbon for extra stiffness on the top and 1 layer on the bottom for looks.

It is heavy but should not really matter when going it's a freaking hydrofoil after all and it creates lift. Really the only con I can see about this approach is the weight. One big pro for it is the fine tuning. I can cut and sand as needed to adjust how the wing performs. No need to redo any carbon to protect the core.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:18 pm

Interesting shape, whats the thinking behind it?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:28 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Interesting shape, whats the thinking behind it?
Handle bar mustache :P

Return to “Gear Builders”