Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Yet another diy hydrofoil. The plummet hammerhead

Postby tahoedirk » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:16 pm

Awesome fun Plummet, keep it up!

I want to try building a wooden foil too. Woodworking is very enjoyable compared to cutting , grinding or sanding 12k carbon fabrics.
I tried to calculate how many fibers I was cutting through when preparing 45 degree (biased) strips of my 50" 12k twill cloth. It was a very big number. I think I'll lean toward unidirectional cloth more when possible,or wood??

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:45 pm

Well that was a exercise in desperation. Wrong conditions, wrong wind angle, wrong kite,wind with current.

But I did get some body dragging with the foil through small waves. So not a complete waste of time.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:59 pm

plummet wrote:Well that was a exercise in desperation. Wrong conditions, wrong wind angle, wrong kite,wind with current.

But I did get some body dragging with the foil through small waves. So not a complete waste of time.
Never a waste of time if your smiling! :)

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:27 pm

plummet wrote:Well that was a exercise in desperation. Wrong conditions, wrong wind angle, wrong kite,wind with current.
Very nice work and intelligent construction design plummet :thumb: . And foil experience is never waste of time even when just body dragging. :wink:

Just be aware your board stance area has nearly no flex towards the foil, otherwise just put a stringer of wood with carbon inbetween foil and board similar as shin or ketos does. Any flex will elongate the learning progress.

Happy foiling. :D

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rufusz » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:07 pm

Nice work!
Could you share some details about the hook? I guess its DIY as well... Whats the core material?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:13 pm

Thanks men. The front foot hook is a temporary measure. I just bent up and old bit of tube glued and wrapped some old wet suit around it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Just get out and carry on - everybody has these "nothing works at all" days at the very start - this is normal as we all hope in advance we will just go out and "do something spectacular" just for a few seconds - but we wont... :roll:
And still good practice so just continue and one day "voila" you got it !!!

8) PF

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:15 am

Having the board too flat is the biggest problem for starting, so the board rolls over downwind (to the leeward side, before on the foil). You can't ride a flat board like you might if leaning against fins. Start with the board on its rail, not too flat. Gradually flatten it till you find the sweet spot. I found if too leaned to windward things plowed but it was no big deal. Too flat and over you go. Sort out the side-to-side balance of the board first. Once you get going like that, you might choose to try to ride the whole day without foiling, but who wants to do that? Have some marks on your board so you can look at where your feet are and see how far forward or back you have to be to fly or not fly. Then once done for the day, figure out if your feet are in the right place compared to the front wing location, and figure out if you need to play with the stabilizer angle. You have an extra variable to play with than a store bought foil, but it should be not too hard to tweak it right.

My first day with the kite I was battling with an onshore wind and a fair bit of weeds deep down which would bog me down, so I never really got going. It seemed a bit hopeless but next day at a different location with the right conditions I was up and riding for long reaches and going upwind pretty soon. 2 days later i was back at the first spot (my house) and got out away from the weeds up on the foil and clear to deep water easily. The progress is pretty quick, but I still have a long way to go.

Peter

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:12 am

Well first real session today. Still too light and even s small swell day here give a couple of foot wave.

Anyway, to start with I would just shoot straight out of the water like a rocket. Even though I had heaps of front foot pressure. I cam to the conclusion the front hook was too far back.

Repositioning the foot strap forward worked. No more rocket launches. But many crashes later. I managed a token glide for maybe 10 meters. Man was it a glorious 10 meters. I managed another just started warping upwind like a demon. Then I started to porpoise.. and over again.

Yeha. Probably 100 crashes and several token glides.

God damn it it's cool when you raise out of the water and glide above it.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:52 am

Just your honeymoon phase you'll get over it :P

If your balance front to rear isn't right, you could stand with both feet together and you'd still get lobbed. Funny thing is, when you get used to it, you'll probably move the foot strap back :D

... it's good, innit? Wait till you can catch and ride the swell... ;)

Return to “Gear Builders”