Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Front wing

Postby downunder » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:56 am

jaros wrote:
the bond between plastic and epoxy is mechanical. The bond epoxy/epoxy is chemical. In theory, we would not need a core at all, like plane wings with ribs, etc.
The bond between allready cured epoxy and a fresh epoxy is mechanical also, i believe. But not all mechanical bonds have the same strenght, that is true.

It is Jaroš, however, the general rule is if epoxy on epoxy 24hrs after the first part, it is chemical. With normal curing. With heating post curing, everything accelerates.

I don't know anyone in the Aerospace industry but they might confirm how they cure carbon parts. This days heaps of planes are carbon.

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Tahoe, CA
Sherman Island, CA
Gear: North, Slingshot, F-One, Naish, Taaroa, Ride Engine
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Yodarocket31 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:09 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:I'd highly recommend using the red Bondo glazing compound to fill in the pinholes and imperfections in the surface, then wet sand in steps to a final finish of 1000 or 1200.

The finished product is WAY smooth. My Sword2 wing and stabilizer were getting a little buzzy and unstable, so this past weekend I followed the instructions in the Delta Hydrofoil video to fill and wet sand, and it's AMAZING how much more stable the foil feels under my feet and all of the hum and buzz is gone. Since you're working from a homemade finish, this would speed up your time to get it feeling smooth since you won't have to sand all the imperfections down, the glazing compound just fills them in. This is one of the secrets of Mike's Lab's high performance race foils, he uses a ton of compound on the final finish to get them smooth and fair.
Mossy, this is a helpful tip. Surprising it made such a big difference considering the finish on that foil is already quite smooth and seemingly free of surface defects.

Is the red Bondo compound on the wings the ONLY modification to your foil, or had the wings+strut already been painted sanded for racing?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:43 pm

They'd been painted/sanded but not for a while...I filled in all the little holes on the leading edge of all surfaces and the tips of the wing that had been run into the sand and everything got way quieter and way more stable.

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Sherman Island, CA

Postby Yodarocket31 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:57 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:They'd been painted/sanded but not for a while...I filled in all the little holes on the leading edge of all surfaces and the tips of the wing that had been run into the sand and everything got way quieter and way more stable.
I'm going to try it. Do you happen to remember your sandpaper grit sequence from coarse to fine?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:55 pm

I'm not sure if this is overkill, but I did 400, 600, 800-1000 grit sponge, 1000 grit paper, all wet sanding under a slow trickle of running water. Make sure you really try to scrape as much of the Bondo off when you're applying it, fill the holes then try to get it clean, it'll make sanding a snap. If you do a really good job putting it on sparingly, you'd be fine starting with 600 grit, 400 is a bit overkill if you're just doing fine touch up work.

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Sherman Island, CA

Postby Yodarocket31 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:53 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:I'm not sure if this is overkill, but I did 400, 600, 800-1000 grit sponge, 1000 grit paper, all wet sanding under a slow trickle of running water. Make sure you really try to scrape as much of the Bondo off when you're applying it, fill the holes then try to get it clean, it'll make sanding a snap. If you do a really good job putting it on sparingly, you'd be fine starting with 600 grit, 400 is a bit overkill if you're just doing fine touch up work.
Hey Mossy, which Bondo product did you use:

a) "Bondo 907 Glazing and Spot Putty" (1-part product, no mixing req'd)

OR

b) "Bondo 801 Professional Glazing and Spot Putty" (2-part product, must mix w/separate creme hardener before applying)

???

On the Delta HOME page, the product used in the video is listed as Bondo 801, but I don't see George mixing anything before he applies.

I think this may be a typo; I think he is actually using Bondo 907 straight out of the tube. I called Bondo and they confirmed the difference between the two products.

Did you squirt it straight outta the toob or did you mix 2-parts first?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:04 pm

I used the 1 part, the 907. Given the temporary nature of this as a fix, I don't see the reason to go with anything harder than a simple filler...

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear

Postby tahoedirk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:18 pm

20161018_090945.jpg
This one woks too if you like white