Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sneak peek new Kook 2 piece foil

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sneak peek new Kook 2 piece foil

Postby Randahl » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:33 pm

tahoedirk wrote:I'm not,
I set it at 3 degrees after much deliberation. I have to make one first and ride it. The mold is made to adjust and it is easy to measure after I test drive it. I have found that even a couple of tenths makes a big difference. I can barely ride some foils that I sold , even recent ones, I've offered to reset them but the owners decline, they are used to them. I am used to being out of the rear strap more often than not now, except for jumping. This is huge though because properly setting both wings on three different axes has gobbled up hour after hour. I am hoping to shaves these hours down significantly, and still sell them for 1000$ I do believe that there is almost a perfect angle for speed ,drag ,pitch stability and foiling transitions. I currently like about 3.4 but I shortened my fuse by an inch and added a bit of camber in the TE mid section of the rear stab. It will take some luck or work to get it perfect.

I have been either vacuum bagging or clamping in the past . By bolting together my molds instead, I hope to be able to tweak it mildly and visualize/measure it, if needed while it cures.

Great question BC
You fall out of your chair when you see the price on a good carbon foil, but if you follow the build process, you wonder how they can turn a profit at those prices. In reality, you're probably not far behind Mike Z down in the Bay who is turning out a top performing product. He's a really cool guy if you ever get the chance to hang out at Crissy. I've enjoyed getting him to "talk shop" while watching races.

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear

Postby tahoedirk » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:39 am

Mike is awesome. I met him when I showed up with the strongest foil ever X3 . He helped me with many tips, encouraging me that I was on the right track. Now that he is world famous again I can barely squeeze the hot tips out of him, understandably. What a long learning process. Yup on prices , I am trying to break the 15$ /hr barrier. I can make 4 times that as a contractor but it is not nearly as satisfying. I'm definitely not in it for the money. I was over flat water years ago and now I'm laughing like it is 1984 again!!

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster

Postby tahoedirk » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:37 pm

Two steps forward one step back.
I encountered a small setback yesterday. After sanding my strut mold and placing the bolts I made a practice part. I knew I was on shaky ground with MDF instead of solid steel. I got the part I was after but the mold piece, which took hours to make , broke when I demolded it. I think I will try making another today with oak or maple.

The part looks pretty good though, I might fiddle with the angles a bit but I think it's going to work, exciting! (for me) . I have to get it exactly right since I will be placing it in the other foil mold and cast around it for a perfect fit
20161019_100045.jpg
Holy crap this part is eating up the hours.
There, just a couple hours, I think I like this better. Still have to put the screw grooves in and paint it.
20161019_133441.jpg
Ironwood, kind of like steel but different
OK I'm ready to move forward again! The bolt together method is sure easier the clamps or vacuum bagging. I'm at 13.2mm, looks a lot like my drawing and the 100mm cross section of the spotz vertical thingy.
20161021_121228.jpg
Success, 3rd time's a charm, better angles and. ironwood is. indeed tougher than MDF
20161020_210742.jpg
3 sizes to choose from in 2017!
20161021_125014.jpg
Very similar/accurate? The flat spot is cuz the paper is sagging on a towell. Really!

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster

Postby tahoedirk » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Almost there!!!
I have sanded the mold to 800 and I am making templates to cut cloth. Trying to decide if I need grooves to allow excess resin to escape, might try it without first. Coming soon!
20161025_111246.jpg
Doesn't look like months of painstaking effort yet

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster

Postby tahoedirk » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:05 am

I'm so excited for Christmas tomorrow but I'm going to stay in bed until it's light outside !
Attachments
20161029_212758.jpg
Come on Santa do me right! !!

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby tkettlepoint » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:16 am

great job. it does take for even to get everything right that is for sure but once you do you cant get that smile off your face for nothing. 15/hr shit I'm lucky to make 9/hr on foils lol we do it for the love of the sport that is for sure

terrie

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster

Postby tahoedirk » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks Terrie,
yup it's been pretty satisfying to see 4 or 5 kook foils up and running at my local spots this year. Changing everything and creating all new jigs and molds has been like starting over. I am really hoping to knock off a bunch of hours with this 2 piece design

Okay, I lied. I was wide awake in bed so finally I got up at 5:20 to check my results. I had my prize before the sun came up

It's about to start snowing right now , i don't know how I am going to deal with winter for the next 6 months??
20161030_070325.jpg
20161030_065130.jpg
Lots of little tiny textured bumps that I can't see or feel in the mold, so it looks like I will be sanding more than the edges. Kind of figured. ..

bigcane
Medium Poster

Postby bigcane » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:37 pm

Wow, you are definately taking it up a level.

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster

Postby tahoedirk » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks BC.

OK, closer inspection reveals.....

front wing supposed to be 10.7 came in at 13.7 :( . Back wing shooting for about 9mm came in at 10.7. Rear wing shooting for 3 degrees , looks more like 2.7 :-? . there also seems to be a slight twist in front which may have always been in that wing :wink: Hmmm ..

I think I used too much cloth, it squished out 2mm in leading edge and 1.5 in TE, and I may need grooves to allow resin to escape, probably in the strut mold too , or maybe just less cloth. I figured .8mm per ply but it looks more like 1 or 1.1mm with all 20oz cloth. I guess a couple voids in the center of wings wouldn't hurt at all if I erred toward less cloth.

I had already been planning on taking 1/2" off the rear wing of the prototype instead of the mold , so now I have a real test subject.

Near as I can tell : semi successful.

bigcane
Medium Poster

Postby bigcane » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:55 pm

yes maybe too much cloth if it spilled out onto the flange and maybe that also stopped the excess resin flowing out. Are you building solid carbon or leaving some space for a resin and filler core? It could be that you also need to start using clamps again to get some pressure in the middle, could be that the mold is bending when the pressure is only applied on the flange

Return to “Gear Builders”