Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sneak peek new Kook 2 piece foil

Postby tahoedirk » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:37 pm

Yup, all true BC

Oh man, why does everything have to be so hard? I ran into a bad batch of unidirectional last night right at the crucial moment. I unwrapped the stuff and it pretty much fell apart in my hands, the Hot Melt binder never got heated up. On top of that it is the most pliable soft fabric I have ever seen. Even though it's high-modulus, T800, it feels Ultra Soft with no resin. Anyhow, after a couple extra hours of dealing I made a new strut. The Finish is good because of the six ounce neon green bling I think but it is 14 millimeters instead of 13 or less , probably because of the extra 2 hours I could not clamp it enough.My stupid fragile MDF mold chipped off in a spot also, so I get to fix that. I also remembered that this particular resin likes to cure for a week or a year in the Sun to get really stiff . It is always someting. Anyhow I am still making progress. The two parts bolted together with no effort :D I think the connection is good, but I won't really know for a year.
Untrimmed, it looks pretty good!
1477940229932.jpg

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:53 pm

That looks fantastic man. Good effort.

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA

Postby tahoedirk » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:26 pm

Thanks Plummet,

I made another foil yesterday.

I finally started keeping track of how many layers of each different template. This made it easy to reduce my cloth layer count by 3 layers. This one came out very close to the original plug/model :thumb: :thumb: .

My new mast is 105 cm instead of 100 and also bolted on easily . I sanded a small flat spot on the fuse for the bolt heads which seems plenty adequate. I hit.the whole thing with 400 grit real quick. Now all that's left is the barrel nuts for the Tuttle mount, and sanding/detailing

I'm pretty excited since my goal was to shave as many hours as possible in the build process and reduce as much drag as possible.

I bet I will still be pulling my hair out over stuff I haven't even thought of yet.
20161101_135254.jpg
Seems streamlined enough
20161101_135429.jpg
Flush as I hoped for (for now)
20161101_135454.jpg
Looks tall, oh yea, it is tall!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:19 pm

Super rad! Can't wait to hear how she rides :-)

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby tkettlepoint » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:39 am

great work. I have had a couple uni fluffs too. aka hot melt not melted...

keep up the great work
terrie

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA

Postby tahoedirk » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:32 pm

It works!!!

Actually it works great. Bad news... not perfect yet.
I got a mini session a few days ago, it was freezing and a bit light . I popped right up and nailed my first 5 or 6 jibes . The foil is smooooth , hardly any drag :D .The only thing I did not love in my brief sampling is that it is still a bit "bouncy" through turbulent water. The pitch at 3 degrees seems nearly perfect, maybe even a bit too much which surprised me, initially I wanted my front foot a bit more forward..... but then... I got used to it and got cold before I could put it through its paces. The extra 2 inches in the strut seemed massive on my first impression. I am glad I made 2 right off so I can continue refinements on one and check them against the other. Funny ,I measured the wing on the spotz 2 and it is nearly 14mm thick,I was shooting for 11, hmmmm, what does it all mean? My first move will be to take about a half inch off the rear stab, I believe it is just too big for high speed tracking, we'll see. I may also narrow down the main wingtips a bit , maybe.

I am scheming right now how to get to some warm water for a couple weeks before April.

I revised another mast mold with a narrower TE and it tapers from 5"@14mm to 4 1/8"@12mm and 98cm instead of 105. It should be awesome to be able to simply switch out foils and struts. I feel like an idiot for never having mounted a gopro to my lines in order to view where I may be sucking a bubble. Lake Tahoe is so clear that a video would be 100% descriptive, as opposed to the Sacramento delta where a video of brown water would be useless.

I really need some warm rowdy wind , some huge jumps with bad landings , crash into the sand, maybe a rock or log, and maybe back into it with my diesel truck :nono: to see how it holds up . Yeesss R&D, I'm still very excited

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:11 pm

Congrats, did you take a GPS with you?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:58 pm

I have a question re the rear stab. It seems quite big to me relative to the front wing. What is the advantage? extra stability. If you are going for a high speed foil why not reduce the rear stab size? What am I missing?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:33 pm

plummet wrote:I have a question re the rear stab. It seems quite big to me relative to the front wing. What is the advantage? extra stability. If you are going for a high speed foil why not reduce the rear stab size? What am I missing?
Stab size is relative to fuselage length and a shorter fuselage is better for acceleration and maneuverability as the shorter "pitch moment" makes it easier to tip the nose down and speed up quickly.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1108820

^just paraphrasing this thread about RC planes^

Anecdotally, the Mike's Lab and Spotz foils have fairly short fuselages and larger stabs. Levitaz, Sword, and Banga have longer fuselages and smaller stabs. The first category of foils are renowned for their high wind performance, the later seem to do better in the light stuff. There are a lot of other factors there, but it seems like the move for powered up racing is shorter fuse, larger stab.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:23 pm

Ahh yes I remember that now.

But what if you had a short fuse and small stab. Wouldn't that be even faster again? albeit with loosing some stability?

Return to “Gear Builders”