RRD x5
North nugget wave board
Skim fish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My home made hydrofoil

Postby magnusmd82 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi I have som question about my hydrofoil.

The mast is eppler 836 100 mm cord, wing is aquila 9.3 % smoothed and the span is 600 mm and cord 155 mm. The stabilizer is aquila9.3 % smoothed span 300 mm and cord 100 mm. The fuselage is 700 mm and angle of atack is 2 degrees.

I have tried it and it start to foil at 3kt and I have a short mast only 400 mm and don't get the time to play with it befour it jumps out of the water. Maybe my Ar for the wing is to big to much lift to early?
The total weight of board and wing stab mast an fuselage 5.2 kg
Her is some picture, pleas help me with feedback.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by magnusmd82 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear

Re: My home made hydrofoil

Postby tahoedirk » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:48 pm

Looks great Magnus,
Sounds normal to me,
learning to foil and learning to make a hydrofoil at the same time is a huge challenge. Learning either one by itself is difficult enough. Not enough pitch on the rear stab seems to make a foil too pitch sensitive in my experience. Too much pitch just makes it slow. You could try 3 degrees or just keep trying at 2. Stick with it and enjoy, you are at the fun part now

magnusmd82
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brandalsund Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Crete Amudara
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha swichblade
Naish Torch
RRD x5
North nugget wave board
Skim fish

Postby magnusmd82 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:03 pm

Thanks!

I will try it tomorrow, I have already tried it after a boat an I could foil 50-60 meter. But it is more difficult with kite and waves. I made the surfboard little small and to little rocker. Tomorrow the wind will be around 11 m /s and i will use my Cabrinha 8m.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:57 pm

When I made mine and tried it behind a boat and did not have enough angle on the rear wing I had to get my feet quite far back to get it to lift off and then it was not very steady. If you really have the right weighting on your feet and foot placement when using the kite then adding more angle should make it rise up even more. The mount looks far enough back that I would not think you are standing too far back. I suspect that you are defaulting to a rear foot weighting as you start since that is common on TTs and also surfboards. I assume you are riding this strapless based on the photos? I suspect if you built the board with the options for straps or hooks that it might be one less thing to worry about, and give you more time to start so you can focus on foot weighting.

Peter

magnusmd82
Rare Poster
Naish Torch
RRD x5
North nugget wave board
Skim fish

Postby magnusmd82 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanks
I think you are right about rear foot, but I have surfed a lot with surfboard to put more pressure on front fot. I have used a surfboard noth nugget to be able to change to front foot pressure. My thoughts is maybe the angle of 2 degrees is to much because I have profile aquila 9.3 % smothed on the stabilizer, and I guess that it with 0 pitch create big downforce anyway. I use it strapless and have no attachment for straps on this board. I will try to add more front foot pressure tomorrow. I also remember that last time I also put to much foot pressure and the board was diving. The wing and stabilzer are made in a 3D mill and covered with 1.5 mm unidirectional carbon, very strong and light. I have have wood in the center of the wing to reinforce the wing for the screw and fuselage the rest of the wing is foam. The weight of wing is 400g and stabilazor 50g very very light and strong. The mast I have wood core and two carbone stringer milled down in the profile covered with 4 layer carbone and on top 1 fiberglas all is vacuum bagged. I have made two of everything incase of failure but I don't think it will happen only if you hit the bottom but then it will break even if it is solid. The point on the top of the board is where the central of gravity supose to be.

magnusmd82
Rare Poster
Naish Torch
RRD x5
North nugget wave board
Skim fish

Postby magnusmd82 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:45 pm

I have now built the long mast eppler 836 profile and will also build new fuselage for my new hydrofoilmast.
The mast is built with wood core and covered with carbon and last layer fiberglass.
The first picture is my old new hydrofoil board.
I mean the board is old but I gone use it now, and I will put my hydrofoil mast and wing on this board.
Her is some picture of the new parts.
Last edited by magnusmd82 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

magnusmd82
Rare Poster
Naish Torch
RRD x5
North nugget wave board
Skim fish

Postby magnusmd82 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:16 pm

Her is the picture and the text is on previous post.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “Gear Builders”