Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Broken Foil - Need advice

Postby plummet » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:15 am

Mossy 757 wrote:
plummet wrote:Does it squeeze back together?
:-( No, it's really hard to even get it to budge a bit. Not sure what's in there, shining a flashlight down in there it looks like it didn't break clean in 2, it kinda "tore" whatever is in the middle apart. If you look at the top picture, on "this" side of the screw holes, you can see that the surface where the wing mounts is also torn and fractured a bit.

@Bille, so are you saying I need to pull the whole thing apart in order to rebond properly? :cry:
Get a bolt into the front threaded insert and see if you can work it around. That front insert looks to have moved. Maybe wiggling it the insert and clamping at the same time might get it to move.

I agree Bille, Sand the split section where you can.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tkettlepoint » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:41 pm

billie great minds think alike about the tow LOL sent that in the pm I guess we both been at it for a while.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkettlepoint » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:43 pm

better off to pull the inserts out all together.. most like will never lock in after the repair and just cross bolt it when finished. also threads will be screwed after a impact like that.

bigcane
Medium Poster

Postby bigcane » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:08 pm

my 2 cents - i repaired a friends foil from another brand that had split just like this. There are huge twisting loads on the fuse from the wing and wrapping thin carbon tows around it might not be enough (especailly if you bump into things occasionally). This how I tried to fix my friends foil initially and the repair failed. If you want peace of mind while riding I suggest permanenty bonding the front wing on and vacuuming carbon over the top and bottom. It will then be bomb proof and really stiff. If you need to travel by air with the foil then maybe its time to upgrade and then sell the repaired foil to someone in your area who just wants to use it locally.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks for all the input guys, if nothing else, my mind is now made up that this isn't my racing foil anymore. Gonna send it out and let a seasoned expert do his best. I'm considering being insanely lazy and just buying a new foil so I can just reuse the packing materials to ship the broken one :-)

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkettlepoint » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:26 pm

that is option B have a pro do the work

terrie

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:50 am

Ah bummer , totally fixable tho. We've seen 3 like this. My buddy who repaired them Kept the insert in and re bond it then do a full wrap round with 5 layers

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:15 am

Jzh_perth wrote:Ah bummer , totally fixable tho. We've seen 3 like this. My buddy who repaired them Kept the insert in and re bond it then do a full wrap round with 5 layers
That's the good thing about carbon/glass compared to say alloy. Sand it slap a few layers of carbon over the top and BOOM. Probably stronger than original!

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:29 am

bigcane wrote:my 2 cents - i repaired a friends foil from another brand that had split just like this. There are huge twisting loads on the fuse from the wing and wrapping thin carbon tows around it might not be enough (especailly if you bump into things occasionally). This how I tried to fix my friends foil initially and the repair failed. If you want peace of mind while riding I suggest permanenty bonding the front wing on and vacuuming carbon over the top and bottom. It will then be bomb proof and really stiff..
So nice to read words of wisdom! :thumb:
Having repaired 3 like this, confirms the off set alpine 4 bolt mount configuration is MUCH stronger,
f wing fuse.JPG
and opened up fuse nose from the bottom, removed stupid in line inserts,
very rough sanded, hospital standared cleaned, alcohol and acetone, used toxic yet magic araldite to bond inserts and fill voids.
Then slide carbon tube over fuse nose to STRUT and vac sack.
Then in one case did as wisely suggested above, permanent connection with inserts glued to ss, inox screws and flats of F wing glued to fuse and carbon tube wrapped, bomb proof as said, also carbon at 45° over top of wing to fuse area.
R H

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:08 am

plummet wrote: BOOM.
Did you mean hopefully "fuse"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_(sailing)
Sure looks like a boom is connected to a mast to support a sail above the water, whereas
A STRUT is connected to a fuse which supports wings, both in aviation AND our KBHF application,
1280px-Cessna152C-GZSS02.jpg
A Cessna 152 shows its single lift strut, joining the fuselage to the high-mounted wing.
Never seen a boom with wings just like never seen a mast connected to a fuse, if the correct word definitions are used!
R H

Return to “Gear Builders”