Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Setting up rear stab angles for new build

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
max
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Setting up rear stab angles for new build

Postby max » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:09 am

plummet wrote:That's what I've done rev. 0-0 and shim. But I have no one to test other than myself as i'm the only foiler locally. And I have no ideal what is good or bad. hopefully in the next few days i'll get to try the 3.5 deg stab setting.

If you are foiling for distances without falling . . . you will feel the difference as to whether it is better or worse than previous, by the smoothness and by the foot placement/pressure balance required.

An experienced foiler would feel it straight away generally and also be able to suggest how to improve it.

I started with 0 front and 2 deg stab and then shim changes after that.

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby tahoedirk » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:27 pm

I like the yaw for surfy turny freeriding. Currently my nemesis is pitch stability. 3 degrees difference is my starting point lately.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:35 am

Setting, adjusting "delta V" on our underwater flying machines can be daunting.
Why?
As a beginner it is almost impossible to tell if a certain set up is well trimmed or not.
One simply lacks the well tuned flying trim feeling.
And to make matters worse, if stupidly learning with straps (god forbid front and back) and they are not in the correct fore aft position, then even tiny changes of stab A o A will change where balanced foot weight stance should be.
But it can be very hard for a new pilot to strapless water start (worse in choppy H20) and then move both fore and aft foot placement as well as width to find what is a comfortable flying stance for you.
Once again why using a front foot hook only and mounted a couple cms forward of flying trim stance can REALLY aide a newbie to adjust by allowing it to help a lot with water start while allowing freedom of foot stance placement not to mention the crash SAFETY factor!
Cunundrum!
Also needs to be clearly pointed out that different wing profiles will give different up, down forces, therefore wings set at 0° with say
clark y 9%.jpeg
clark y 9%.jpeg (4.56 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
as compaired to
e817.gif
will change your delta V a lot, board foot position, and then factor in the R wing, stab profile and A o A...
So although certain standard starting wing A o As can help for sure, they are just that, a starting point.
R H

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:49 pm

So. 3.5 deg definitely more stable less responsive perhaps? Now I have to re-learn with the new stab able.

Return to “Gear Builders”