Favorite Beaches: Longreef, Yorkeys Knob
Style: Surf Foil
Gear: RPMs, Switch, Homemade TT, Homemade Foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Aluminium Casting Parts for Foils

Postby DartBoard » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:14 am

Earlier this year I finished my first attempt at a foil just in time to take it away for a 6 week kite trip to Cairns where conditions for learning are perfect. I couldn't ride at the time and after a couple of sessions on it at home I'd split the laminate on the fuselage enough for water to get into the core and twist things up. The replacement I ended up with turned out so much better than I'd hoped and has proven super strong over the last 5 months having survived a lot of very hard knocks at speed. I'm excited about using the approach in my next build and wanted to share it with the community.
When it came to fixing the foil I wanted to use aluminium bar (25mm square 6060) for the fuselage because I didn't have time to make and layup another one. The tricky part was how to connect it to the bottom of the wooden mast. As luck would have it I'd also just finished making an small aluminium forge that I'd seen on The King of Random site. It cost about $20 to make and was completely idiot proof. Turns out there are hundreds of designs for home forges out there and I've even seen people melting aluminium on a charcoal bbq using a hair dryer as a blower!!!

The King of Random one.

https://youtu.be/lSoWxG30rb0

The one that I'd made using a propane burner ( again lots of designs on youtube) for DIY burners.

So the idea was to cast a connector that would butt glue to the end of the mast and be deep enough so that I could just drill and tap a couple of holes into the connector, drill through the aluminium fuselage and bolt them together.

The quickest way I've found to cast something is to use sand casting. The idea is that you create a copy of the piece you want to cast (the plug) using whatever material you have on hand (wood sealed with spray paint or shellac is perfect). You then place that piece inside an wooden frame and ram damp (not too wet) sand around it. You really ram it in hard because when you then pull the plug out the damp sand holds its shape and leaves a void that exactly matches the part you want. This link shows the general idea.

http://www.the-warren.org/GCSERevision/ ... asting.htm

You can get professional quality parts using really fine sand and mixing it with bentonite clay (crushed clay kitty litter) which binds the sand together much more strongly. But I didn't have time (or inclination) so I just used washed beach sand ('Play Sand' from Bunnings) and used water as the binder.
The plug I used consisted of the end section of the mast with an extra 'foot' on the end that I could spend time getting really square. The foot extended beyond the mast far enough to be able to put a couple of bolts through it and into the fuselage for extra strength. In hindsight I am not sure this was necessary.

Here's the plug and the cast piece about 2 minutes after I poured it!

I roughly cleaned the connector up, cut of the sprue (left over from where the aluminium was poured in) and 5 minute epoxied it to the end of the mast.

I then wrapped about 5 layers of 180gm basalt fibre I had left over from a TT build. This is weaker than carbon but stronger than glass. (if you use carbon you need to put a layer of glass between the aluminium and the carbon otherwise you'll get galvanic corrosion because carbon and aluminium are both conductive)

I was in a big rush to get it done so I didn't bother with making it look good this time round. I had no idea if this was going to hold up but after 5 months and a lot of big hits ( learned in Cairns where a sand bank ran into me every other run) I'm very happy to report it is still going strong and has survived longer than my original wing!

This has worked out so well that my plan is to try casting both the fuselage connector and the baseplate / mast connector in my next build. The mast will still be wood core (for weights sake). The beauty of casting these sections is, firstly, casting takes only a couple of minute to produce the piece and secondly it avoids all the work needed to reinforce the high stress areas which in my first build was a very long part of the process.

There's lots of great info on the web for home casting and if you're just going to do a couple of pieces then the forge can be as simple as hair dryer blowing air onto bbq charcoal. Aluminium melts at around 700 degrees which means it can go horribly horribly wrong if you're careless (wear full protection gear, welder gloves and esp. face covering - read about flash boiling n casting) but at the same time steel melts closer to 1200 degrees so you can use lots of readily available material to make a forge ( the King of Random made his inside a steel bucket and used plaster of paris as the lining).
Also, there are lots of different alloys that you can use for casting. I used whatever I had around which included aluminium cans and profile off cuts. All relatively weak stuff by Al standards. I have read that some of the best material to use is Al alloy from car parts and in particular pistons and housings as they have good flow characteristics that let it flow into fine details of your plug.

The other thing that might be possible to do with casting is to make molds for wings. In an approach called 'lost foam casting' you make your plug out of foam, pack it in sand and the molten aluminium burns the foam out as it enters and fills the space the lost foam leaves. You could hot wire cut female molds of the wing like I've seen others do on this forum. You could then use the lost foam approach to cast the female molds for the wings. This would take a bit of trial and error to get good finish straight out of the sand.

Anyhow, wanted to share this because I'm really excited about doing this in my next build and hope it gets the creative juices going for others to experiment with it.

Matt

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Re: Aluminium Casting Parts for Foils

Postby tkettlepoint » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:21 am

great build... casting your own alum sweet. great job. Just the weight would be a killer.. but a great build

terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

DartBoard
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Longreef in Sydney, NSW

Postby DartBoard » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:40 pm

Thanks Terrie!

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:08 pm

Nice work.
Can you tell us how much the entire rig weighs?
Been considering doing an entire mast w fuselage casting.
Anyone done this with lost foam melt cast?

Also, what are the dimensions on your alum fuselage?

DartBoard
Medium Poster

Postby DartBoard » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:25 am

NYKiter wrote:Nice work.
Can you tell us how much the entire rig weighs?
Been considering doing an entire mast w fuselage casting.
Anyone done this with lost foam melt cast?

Also, what are the dimensions on your alum fuselage?

Cheers!

Just weighed the whole mast /foil/wing set up and it came in at 4.7 kg and about 1 kg of that is the fuselage which is 25mm square bar that is 64cm long. Its all fibreglass so there is a lot of weight in the glass and epoxy.

I'm sure that the fuselage can be made out of small size bar. I have seen 2 DIY foils that used 20mm square bar and in one case it did bend when he hit the sand when he was coming back in. So I think that use and smaller size material you probably need to use 6061 or some other hardened aluminium (or don't hit things - which is just an aspiration for me :D )

Have toyed with doing a mast and fuselage and as Terrie pointed out weight is the main tconsideration. Aluminium is around 3 times the density of plywood and I don't think you could get away with much smaller dimensions than when you build it with composites. Finding a way to cast it hollow seems like a promising approach. Lost foam is definitely worth experimenting with here. I haven't seen anyone try long thin structures with lost foam (not that they haven't, I just haven't come across any). The longer pieces that I've seen on youtube seem to make use of vents out through the sand along the length of it to let the gas from the burned foam escape. This prevents the gas bubble stopping the flow of metal inside. I've seen people using lost foam to cast aluminium heat sinks with quite fine fins and this approach has worked well.

Another approach might be to make the sand mold as if it was going to be cast solid but then suspend some cores along the length of it. You could possibly use aluminium tube and pack it solidly with sand and suspend it down the center of the mast. This would be a good alternative to the sand cores that people make using sodium silicate and CO2.

Another thought, make two halves and route out the excess core material then epoxy them together. You could cut internal webbing into it at the same time.

Cheers
Matt

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:17 am

any plan to do hardening like for instance precipitation hardening?

DartBoard
Medium Poster

Postby DartBoard » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:05 am

edt wrote:any plan to do hardening like for instance precipitation hardening?
I haven't heard of it. Do you think its DIYable?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:18 am

hardening aluminum is different from hardening steel but the principle is the same. Without the hardening, steel is just soft iron. You heat up steel and then quench it to harden it but for aluminum you have to heat it up for a while, I think like 24 hours or something. Just something to think about. I would be a little bit worried about the strength of cast aluminum but who knows maybe it's fine. As for a DIY maybe I dunno. You can't trial and error it as far as I know you have to get the exact temperature time and know the exact chemical composition of your alloys, so maybe just leave it and then if it breaks think about doing a precipitation hardening next time.

DartBoard
Medium Poster

Postby DartBoard » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:32 am

Thanks for the ideas. I'll have a look around and see what I can find out. I m very much a novice at this but am excited to have another fabrication method to play with.

It will be interesting to see how it goes with a stiffer mast. The current ones torsional stiffness isn't great so I suspect this helps distribute some the stress away from the connector and into the mast.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:33 am

Good work with aluminium casting.

But I think joining aluminium fuse to wood core mast can be done with screws and barrel nuts. I would slide into fuse some hardwood block and then drill through holes and countersink. Super glue/epoxy to the holes to not let water do it damage. The ends of the fuse can be filled with PU foam. Barrel nuts should be located reasonably far from the end of the mast, for the strenght. Wrapping some layers carbon at the end of the mast should prevent any possibility for splitting and increase a bit area against the fuse. The end of the mast should be cut precisely straight.

This is the method I will use my in next builds. Goal is to have a bit more transportable hf and to make the fuse easier to build.

Return to “Gear Builders”