Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Looking for advice on building a foil plate for my "One board for everything" split board

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Looking for advice on building a foil plate for my "One board for everything" split board

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:00 pm

I have this crazy idea of turning my aging Flysurfer Split M into a one board for everything which includes foiling. Yes I know it's not going to be a very good foilboard but the idea of just traveling with one kite, one board, and a foil and be good for just about any wind condition is very appealing to me. To help with stiffness and hopefully help the board last longer I want to build a carbon foil plate like the one from Shinn. I've seen this sucker go for like $400USD and I think I could build something much cheaper but I've never dealt with carbonfiber. I'm looking on advice on what materials I would need to try something like this on my own. I'm hoping to build something this winter and give it a go. To help with flotation I'm trying to find a thin pad to put on the top deck. I'm hoping to use the spitfire along with this. Looking for advice and opinions. Thanks!

=Jason-

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Looking for advice on building a foil plate for my "One board for everything" split board

Postby BWD » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:42 pm

For the plate you can get a sheet of marine plywood (okoume preferably) 6mm.
Wherever you need to have fasteners, drill it out with a 20 or 25mm bit and fill with epoxy reinforced with high density filler or glass fibers.
This will create a strong zone to hold bolts, screws, inserts you might use. You can pot inserts into the resin at this stage if wanted.
Laminate top and bottom of plate with carbon. Most stress would be longitudinal so 2/3 of the carbon should be unidirectional.
Torsion also is a consideration so some regular 0-90 plain weave or twill, or DB 45/-45 is needed also.
I would try this recipe:
200-250g 45/-45
200g uni 0
200g uni 0
core
200g uni 0
200g uni 0
200-250g 45/-45

...unless you want to try using heavier triaxial carbon, 2 layers each side, but the lighter cloth is easier to wet out.
For the area of the mast attachment, use extra patches of 600g or so cloth on both sides, about 30cmx30cm.
Likewise, reinforce areas where you attach to the board.
To do a great job with this, is as hard as building a full board.
Consider doing that instead?

winduser
Medium Poster
Gear: 2014
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for advice on building a foil plate for my "One board for everything" split board

Postby winduser » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Return to “Gear Builders”