Kevin Brooker
Medium Poster
Style: snow
Gear: Home sewn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: How thick can I lay carbon fiber?

Postby Kevin Brooker » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:02 pm

Yes, like an Easter egg. After the mold is constructed another piece is indexed and added to one side of the mold. I use 3-5mm thick plexiglass. This joggle gasket is cut to parallel the outline of the molded party lip but hangs into the mold the thickness of the layup. Make the layup as usual and go up and over the joggle. After cure cut the part along the flat the of the joggle. When the joggle is removed there will be the lip of the egg which will fit inside of the other side adding glue surface and aligning everything.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:06 pm

Whow,
That is so advanced layup :) I would not attempt such a thing with no prev experience. But thats me.

since RC was mentioned, our application is more similar to ski and snowboard building. The closed cell or pu core can drink water :) , same with wood.

Think the OP needs to look at other build here and follow ie GrantL build. Which is all molded....

Kevin Brooker
Medium Poster
Style: snow
Gear: Home sewn

Postby Kevin Brooker » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:34 pm

True on the ski building but many of the methods used in r/c are directly applicable. Fur better resin/cloth ratios the vac infusion methods can be applied as can using a silicone plug to more evenly apply pressure and fill voids in wet hand layups. Many molding methods are very well illustrated and described by the r/c community

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby opie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:14 am

downunder wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:06 pm
Whow,
That is so advanced layup :) I would not attempt such a thing with no prev experience. But thats me.

since RC was mentioned, our application is more similar to ski and snowboard building. The closed cell or pu core can drink water :) , same with wood.

Think the OP needs to look at other build here and follow ie GrantL build. Which is all molded....
Thanks for pointing out the Grantl build thread, lots of good info there.
Kevin Brooker wrote: Yes, like an Easter egg. After the mold is constructed another piece is indexed and added to one side of the mold. I use 3-5mm thick plexiglass. This joggle gasket is cut to parallel the outline of the molded party lip but hangs into the mold the thickness of the layup. Make the layup as usual and go up and over the joggle. After cure cut the part along the flat the of the joggle. When the joggle is removed there will be the lip of the egg which will fit inside of the other side adding glue surface and aligning everything.
That's a cool idea, saving weight and still getting good connection. I bet I can find some plexi at work in the recycle piles. It would probably come in handy in other ways, too.

I have been reading and reading peoples' ideas about building without really being able to follow much, but now that I am trying to build myself stuff is beginning to make more sense. The stuff I am building now is by far the ugliest I've ever seen, but I bet my next attempt will be cleaner...and faster, I hope. :)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:58 am

Kevin Brooker wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 pm
For gluing up there is a method of building a lip or ledge a few mm thick which slips inside the other half increasing the gluing surface for a stronger bond. I'll see if I can find a name for the process. It is very simple to do but difcukt to describe.
Is there a video or photo of this?

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear

Postby tahoedirk » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Solid wings for sure in the smaller sizes, Do I really need a core?
Two halves, fill em up and put them together. This is easy. Lately I have been spending time on the skin and just filling the mold, it works fine, just don't overfill. I just tried again to bag both halves for a perfect finish , it was not worth it.
I'm trying to figure out a simple core with a few layers or solid bead on the LE to throw in the mold for the bigger wings

Resin rich, so what?
At some point you just want a wing. When you nail your perfect design and go into production, then you can start shaving ounces off and make millions too! These wings are plenty strong and stiff. They are more fun also when they take a few hours to build instead of a couple weeks .

opie
Medium Poster

Postby opie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:32 am

While waiting on supplies I gave Dirk's "dirty mold" another shot. I was very proud of the way the first half went but when I started the second side I failed to wax the parting edge enough. New plan is to just add more layers, leave the plug in there, attach it to my ugly mast and see if it flies. I'll start new wing design based on the results and try again.

I also tried leaving some 60 minute hardener 1.5 inches deep in a cup. I thought maybe the slower hardener wouldn't go all exothermic on me but it did. I've got some 120 minute hardener coming in the mail so I'll try that also to see if I can guess how careful I have to be when attempting the mast mold.
Attachments
20180307_153820.jpg
20180307_135536.jpg

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:58 am

opie wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:32 am
I also tried leaving some 60 minute hardener 1.5 inches deep in a cup. I thought maybe the slower hardener wouldn't go all exothermic on me but it did. I've got some 120 minute hardener coming in the mail so I'll try that also to see if I can guess how careful I have to be when attempting the mast mold.
Ha ha, classic....It's not about the pot life, but the put itself :) You were lucky, this could go in flames, and burn the shed down.

Also, judging by the color, this is the WS epoxy, no?

opie
Medium Poster

Postby opie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:42 am

Fiberglast 2000.

I guess I'll just spend a day doing the mast a few layers at a time. Didn't know I was risking a fire. :o

mopman365
Frequent Poster
Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional

Postby mopman365 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:59 am

opie wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:44 am
Kevin Brooker wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 pm
For gluing up there is a method of building a lip or ledge a few mm thick which slips inside the other half increasing the gluing surface for a stronger bond. I'll see if I can find a name for the process. It is very simple to do but difcukt to describe.
Like the middle connection on a plastic Easter egg? The skin of one half has a lip that continues down the inside of the other half's skin?
I can't picture this working on the thin trailing edge. Or do you just do the LE side?

Return to “Gear Builders”