Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: How thick can I lay carbon fiber?

Postby tahoedirk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

You will be fine if you do not use fast hardener. Epoxy all varies but most mediums will not get out of control. When using epoxy it is often/usually necessary to pour it out into a paper plate to prevent sudden heat buildup

What kind of foam is that Rynhardt? I need something for bigger wings. Nice vid, Is that your work? I've been looking for some kind of pourable epoxy foam. Regular Great stuff PU doesn't seem to be solid enough. I was going to try their tile and stone waterproof spray foam.

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:04 pm

http://www.sicomin.com/processes/foaming available at tcomposites.com

https://www.prosetepoxy.com/wp-content/ ... y-Foam.pdf

These are 2 products that would be great for this.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:57 pm

tahoedirk wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm
You will be fine if you do not use fast hardener. Epoxy all varies but most mediums will not get out of control. When using epoxy it is often/usually necessary to pour it out into a paper plate to prevent sudden heat buildup

What kind of foam is that Rynhardt? I need something for bigger wings. Nice vid, Is that your work? I've been looking for some kind of pourable epoxy foam. Regular Great stuff PU doesn't seem to be solid enough. I was going to try their tile and stone waterproof spray foam.
I used a rigid 2 component PU foam, 80kg per cubic meter.
Similar to smooth-on foam-it 5lb per cubic foot.

Kevin Brooker
Medium Poster
Style: snow
Gear: Home sewn

Postby Kevin Brooker » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:23 pm

If you can find the DVD series on building composite wings for r/c aircraft by Phil Barnes much of what is needed to build wings for hydrofoiling is covered. The r/c world is a great place to look for DIY info. These guys have lots of experience molding stuff. The adaptation is adding a core to handle the point loads of attaching the mast, fuse, etc. the shape and outer layers are the same process.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 pm

The other question you need to ask is how many layers can you lay up before the initial layer starts to gel off? The limitation may not be heat. It may be the fact that you will end up with a resin rich, heavy part due to pre vac curing.

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby opie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:24 pm

plummet wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 pm
The other question you need to ask is how many layers can you lay up before the initial layer starts to gel off? The limitation may not be heat. It may be the fact that you will end up with a resin rich, heavy part due to pre vac curing.
The only way I can use vacuum is to do each half separate and then glue them together. I was planning on just filling the two halves of the mold and then clamping them together. I realize this will end up resin rich and therefore heavier. It just seems like gluing together two halves will be weak.

I may try vacuuming a layer in each side of the mold first, to get a cleaner outside.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:53 pm

opie wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:24 pm
plummet wrote:
The only way I can use vacuum is to do each half separate and then glue them together. I was planning on just filling the two halves of the mold and then clamping them together. I realize this will end up resin rich and therefore heavier. It just seems like gluing together two halves will be weak.

I may try vacuuming a layer in each side of the mold first, to get a cleaner outside.
If you fill the mount then clamp together you will need an exact layup with an exact core. If you do that then you will be able to press out excess resin, But it will be pretty damn hard to get both halves pressed together with a perfect seam. Bagging each half separately trimming then bonding together will allow for exact part to the mould. Its a pretty commont contruction method.

opie
Medium Poster

Postby opie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:27 pm

plummet wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:53 pm
opie wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:24 pm
plummet wrote:

If you fill the mount then clamp together you will need an exact layup with an exact core. If you do that then you will be able to press out excess resin, But it will be pretty damn hard to get both halves pressed together with a perfect seam. Bagging each half separately trimming then bonding together will allow for exact part to the mould. Its a pretty commont contruction method.
You're convincing me. I am still firmly in the learn from experience phase so I might as well try both methods. :)

Kevin Brooker
Medium Poster
Style: snow
Gear: Home sewn

Postby Kevin Brooker » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 pm

For gluing up there is a method of building a lip or ledge a few mm thick which slips inside the other half increasing the gluing surface for a stronger bond. I'll see if I can find a name for the process. It is very simple to do but difcukt to describe.

opie
Medium Poster

Postby opie » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:44 am

Kevin Brooker wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 pm
For gluing up there is a method of building a lip or ledge a few mm thick which slips inside the other half increasing the gluing surface for a stronger bond. I'll see if I can find a name for the process. It is very simple to do but difcukt to describe.
Like the middle connection on a plastic Easter egg? The skin of one half has a lip that continues down the inside of the other half's skin?

Return to “Gear Builders”