Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How thick can I lay carbon fiber?

Postby tahoedirk » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Nice effort , No matter what hardener you use you still have to de pot the resin onto your work or a plate as soon as possible.

Finish one side completely , first one layer , let harden, clean up opposite side early if necessary , then 9 more. Wax the new side a couple times , especially the edges/creases, of part to mold, then light coats of hairspray to perfection and you should be fine. I did another run with just resin when the edges came out really shitty and the mold came out best ever.

A mast takes 2 or 3 hours for me to layup , so time is a factor but multiple batches of medium speed will not get out of control

I still have meltdowns regularly, try not to breath the smoke, I bet it is not healthy! Has anyone seen flames ,really??

Spring is coming

opie
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby opie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:16 am

PLA mast mold worked pretty well. I got impatient at the end and the mold warped, but the mast seems good to me. I did overfill the mold so the mast is a good eight inch wider than intended.

Spurred by my success I tried a fuse mold with a little more patience. It came out better but the mold still had a small amount of warping. Small waves formed where I can see the pattern of the support material underneath.

I am printing a plate mold with a thicker outside layer, 1.2 mm to try next.
Attachments
20180326_123921.jpg
20180325_154652_resized.jpg
20180318_193412.jpg
20180318_193358.jpg

fluidity
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Old Flexfoil 9, Switch Element V4 11m, Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 7m 2014, Nitro14m v6, Nitro9m v6 12mSwitch Legacy2
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving.

Postby fluidity » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:16 am

opie wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:24 pm
I have a mold for a mast that is .75 inches/2 cm thick. It's made of PLA plastic that softens around 150 f / 70 c. I am thinking if I lay it all at once it'll exotherm and melt the plastic. Is this a valid concern?
Thanks.
Nice mould Opie,
You could try designing in a water cooling pipe channel next time?
Or print the model and cast the mould in polyurethane or silicon rubber? That's worked well for me.
Or use a slow cure epoxy, some are designed for a post cure to fully harden and won't exotherm much.

Return to “Hydrofoil Builders”