Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Foam cored wings (another way)

Postby mopman365 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Kevin Brooker wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:42 pm
I'll try to find my older molds and make up a pert to show the Easter egg method. There are simple ways to make up the leading edge and I'll try to find the rest of the Mylar sets for a small wing and make up a set.
That would be first prize, thanks Kevin. Maybe just a few hand sketches would help us get it?

kostantin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards
Has thanked: 0

Re: Foam cored wings (another way)

Postby kostantin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:47 pm

mopman365 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:06 pm
kostantin wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:00 am
Greetings,

I have been working for Schempp Hirth beginning of the 80's.and most of my life I have never made anything else, then carbon and glass. Never a hole foil with holes had been used. Have a look on the video ~ 2.17min. You see very few holes on a very large surface. All are hand made after the layup.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/I_atJwXxcrU[/youtube]

On the the tube squeeze problem. It will happen to you sooner or later. Murphies law.

tks

Kosta
Thanks Kosta, I can see you guys are pros and probably getting perfect ratios at the layup stage already. I have considered using less/smaller holes before, but was worried about trapping air pockets between layup and film. Do you roll these out before vacuum or does the vacuum take care of trapped air under the film?

Murphie's been kind to me on the last wing. After the last vacuum top-up before going to bed I forgot to turn off the pump. Next morning the pump was still running fine, sucking massive vacuum and it didn't crush the wing. Resin must have set before I left it on.
No worries about the amount of holes. 5-6 on each side should be enough. There will be no pokets underneath. Don't roll on the surface, let the vakuum do the work. Should you roll, you will end up with marks in the surface and you might roll away the resin. By the way for the result of your parts it is better to use 2 paper kitchen towels, top and bottom instead of one.

I had a time switch in the TT times, controling both the pump and the heating box. Right now I let sonoff switches and Alexa doing this. It is more fun to tell Alexa " Shut down the chicken shack " then walking through the cold.

Hope it helped

tks

Kosta

Return to “Gear Builders”