Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Cavitation

Postby airsail » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:16 pm

I have two foils, all rigid carbon except for the rear stab. One is on a 70cm mast, the other a 90. Both front wings are similar, the 90 having a better finish but both sanded with 600. But I have cavitation issues with the 90, not the 70. The 70 has downward winglets, so tried it on the 90, still cavitates at about 26kmh.
Does anyone have a fix that worked for them? I

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Cavitation

Postby grigorib » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:59 pm

Do you really get cavitation problem when surface of the wing gets damages due to air micorbubbles exploding on the wing surface?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:43 am

I’m going out in a limb and saying you’re talking ventilation not cavitation (which happens at 55 knots plus typically). The foil is crashing because of ventilation, air getting tracked down along the mast from the surface. Either pre-existing mast surface condition or bad foil shape could be to blame.

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby opie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsN-2T7zMLM

I am no expert but you need to make sure there are no small nicks anywhere. Some foils just don't ride well with even small imperfections. When mine starts to act funny I always use glazing compound like in the video. Good luck.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:13 pm

BWD wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:43 am
I’m going out in a limb and saying you’re talking ventilation not cavitation (which happens at 55 knots plus typically). The foil is crashing because of ventilation, air getting tracked down along the mast from the surface. Either pre-existing mast surface condition or bad foil shape could be to blame.
Can you start a cavitation process at a lot lower speeds by breaching the wing? Ventilating the wing tip that creates a lower-pressure zone that propagates cavitation once the initial ventilation has ceased?

Watch this vid from 17-21 seconds. The wing breaches and ventilates. Then it submerges again but continues to ventilate or cavitate well after the initial ventilation has stopped.

https://vimeo.com/192818963

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:37 am

plummet wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:13 pm
BWD wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:43 am
Can you start a cavitation process at a lot lower speeds by breaching the wing? Ventilating the wing tip that creates a lower-pressure zone that propagates cavitation once the initial ventilation has ceased?

Watch this vid from 17-21 seconds. The wing breaches and ventilates. Then it submerges again but continues to ventilate or cavitate well after the initial ventilation has stopped.

https://vimeo.com/192818963
Unless the hydrodynamic conditions depress the pressure on the wing surface to the point that the water is above its boiling point for that pressure, it is not cavitation. Cavitation is steam bubbles with no surface air in them. Surfaces are damaged when the bubbles collapse on them because there is a shockwave generated.
The same phenomenon, low pressure, is also responsible for air pockets/bubbles from the surface sticking to the wing tips, top, or trailing edge. Since the pressure is low, the bubbles can appear to grow and stretch. Loss of lift and crashing can happen but not extreme shockwaves and erosion of the surface.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:07 pm

Ok, thanks, we will call it ventilation, air passing along the mast and onto the wing. Will try some crude fixes to start with, slap a vortex generator on either side, this will tap any air off and send it to the trailing edge and not down the mast. Failing that a wing fence, yep, crude but effective. At least it gives a starting point to nail down the problem.

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby opie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Please let us know what you try and the results. There's definitely something to be learned here.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:09 am

airsail wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:07 pm
Ok, thanks, we will call it ventilation, air passing along the mast and onto the wing. Will try some crude fixes to start with, slap a vortex generator on either side, this will tap any air off and send it to the trailing edge and not down the mast. Failing that a wing fence, yep, crude but effective. At least it gives a starting point to nail down the problem.
I'm not a foiler yet but I was thinking the mast as a common element must be passing air down to the foil region. Something to remember when I start my own foil adventures!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:26 pm

George's latest tech video from Delta Hydrofoil recommends any surface finish be in the 1000 grit+ range for exactly this reason.

Return to “Gear Builders”