DIY Trackmount into surfboard

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
snowycarter
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DIY Trackmount into surfboard

Postby snowycarter » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:20 am

Hi all, I am trying to get into foilboarding on the cheap. I have an old epoxy 5 2" surfboard that i dont use that i was going to convert and then i have a friend who can sell me a Liquid Force Rocket Fish foil setup that has the 90mm 4 bolt system

I was thinking of using the attached , it is a high density PVC foam block that has 2 longboard fin tracks spaced 90mm apart. the tracks are glassed into the PVC block that is about 6 cm deep so i would just sand the deck side down quite a bit cuz the board is only about 5 cm.

Is this type of track system workable, is it a fiddle to get the foil on and off..... getting all those 4 bolts to line up each time not a big deal?

Would appreciate any advice for a newbie.

thanks
Attachments
1-1.jpg

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: DIY Trackmount into surfboard

Postby kjorn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:48 pm

Last edited by kjorn on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kjorn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:49 pm

snowycarter wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:20 am
Is this type of track system workable, is it a fiddle to get the foil on and off..... getting all those 4 bolts to line up each time not a big deal?
Very easy.

I use alan keys to tighten my bolts. First I push the nuts in the tracks to the ends of the tracks. One at the front and one at the rear in each track. Then I attach the rear of the foil plate to the rear two nuts and only tighten them a little. Then I push the visible bolts at the front end of the track back (using the alan key) so the are in the right place. Then push the bolts through the plate and tighten a little. Now move the foil into the correct position for you (for my board it is 5cm from the back of the track) and tighten. 2 minute job. If a bolt slides out of reach under the foil plate I just take it all off and start again. Or pick it up and shake. My bolts are stiff and won't move if you shake the board.

I would carve a hole for the unit you have in the picture. You need to attach it to the top deck and to the bottom deck. I would put patches of carbon fibre on both top and bottom.

Sounds like a fun job and will work perfectly!

snowycarter
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby snowycarter » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 am

Awesome suggestions. Thankbyou so much.

Return to “Gear Builders”