Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: DIY Thick surf foil wings

Postby direnc » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:30 pm

Yes, I meant these back wings to work without lamination, and did try the first one straight out from the printer.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:27 pm

direnc wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:28 pm
mandiw wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:38 am
great job. did you already design a rear wing? if yes, can you also upload the file to thingiverse? thanks
So it was sized to fit in the build volume of the printer. It was printed vertically in PETG material. Vertical printing orientation makes it weak, but I tried it on the water...
Is PETG the best material. I understand it is one of the few printing materials that absorbs water?

Also does anybody know the best material to laminate onto? ie which does epoxy stick to best?

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr

Postby direnc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:19 pm

faklord wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:27 pm
Is PETG the best material. I understand it is one of the few printing materials that absorbs water?

Also does anybody know the best material to laminate onto? ie which does epoxy stick to best?
PETG, and many other materials absorb moisture, but it is usually a problem while printing. I don't think it matters post print.
As for lamination, ABS is probably best, but even that is not a very good bond as far as I know. Also ABS is difficult to print in large sizes and sharp cornered shapes. I tried HIPS, thinking it would bond to epoxy well and be easier to print, but not only it was difficult to print, the bond was worse than PLA. I tried the back wing in PETG thinking it would be stronger, but maybe PLA (without lamination )will be good enough with a design that wont strain the back wing too much.

I printed a front wing in PLA and laminated it with fiberglass and carbon fiber. Plan to try it this week and see if it holds up. Others seem to have tried PLA+fiberglass, and it seems to work well enough.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:45 pm

Thanks for that info
👍

Looking forward to hear how it goes.

Would also be interested hear some of the significant slicing details you used. Eg skin thickness, % infill etc

direnc
Frequent Poster
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr

Postby direnc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:02 pm

I printed the back wings with 0.32mm layer height (highest possible with 0.4mm noozle). I used 4 outer shells and 80% infill.

For the front wing I used Simplify3D and used its variable settings feature where you can set different infills and skin thicknesses for different Z heights.
Do not have the exact numbers on my mind, but for the part of the wing that mates with the fuselage I used a thick skin and almost full infill. For the rest of the wing I lowered the infill towards the tips, but kept the thick skin. Also printed with .32mm layer height, so that the wing surface is more rough and gives epoxy more surface to grip. BTW Cura has a feature called "fuzzy skin" where it makes the outer layer fuzzy, and it gives lots of area for epoxy to grip. That may be useful too, but Cura lacks the variable infill percentage feature, which I believe is more important. I set the nozzle temperature as high as possible for a given material so as to achieve the strongest layer adhesion possible.

I would also like to hear from others who 3D print wings about their preferred slicer settings.

I also suspect with a span-wise internal metal/carbon rod or two, it may even be possible to print a front wing that wont require lamination and will be strong enough. Lots of opportunites for experimentation. But would be really cool if it's possible.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:04 pm

direnc wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:02 pm
I printed the back wings with 0.32mm layer height (highest possible with 0.4mm noozle). I used 4 outer shells and 80% infill.

For the front wing I used Simplify3D and used its variable settings feature where you can set different infills and skin thicknesses for different Z heights.
Do not have the exact numbers on my mind, but for the part of the wing that mates with the fuselage I used a thick skin and almost full infill. For the rest of the wing I lowered the infill towards the tips, but kept the thick skin. Also printed with .32mm layer height, so that the wing surface is more rough and gives epoxy more surface to grip. BTW Cura has a feature called "fuzzy skin" where it makes the outer layer fuzzy, and it gives lots of area for epoxy to grip. That may be useful too, but Cura lacks the variable infill percentage feature, which I believe is more important. I set the nozzle temperature as high as possible for a given material so as to achieve the strongest layer adhesion possible.

I would also like to hear from others who 3D print wings about their preferred slicer settings.

I also suspect with a span-wise internal metal/carbon rod or two, it may even be possible to print a front wing that wont require lamination and will be strong enough. Lots of opportunites for experimentation. But would be really cool if it's possible.
Thanks again for the info's.
I confess to being I'm a relative newcomer to 3D printing (using FreeCad and Cura) but it does look like it is possible (though not super simple) to set different infills, in a single part, using Cura (see https://youtu.be/PUwf79wySUY). I haven't yet printed anything using this but it looks like it will work.

direnc
Frequent Poster
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr

Postby direnc » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:25 pm

faklord wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:04 pm
Thanks again for the info's.
I confess to being I'm a relative newcomer to 3D printing (using FreeCad and Cura) but it does look like it is possible (though not super simple) to set different infills, in a single part, using Cura (see https://youtu.be/PUwf79wySUY). I haven't yet printed anything using this but it looks like it will work.
Thanks a lot! Did not know Cura could do that.

kostantin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards
Has thanked: 0

Postby kostantin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:40 pm

direnc wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Greetings,

from my experience there is no material sticking on PLA seriously. Worse is PETG. A printed wing will not give you any idea if your design is good or not. The problem here is beside others like strength is torsion.
Standing in your shoes I would print negative molds, sand, filler and paint them till they are glossy. What you have to be aware is that around 43° PLA is loosing contour, so the cure process needs to stay below this mark. In this case you need to play the time vs. temp game.

I use something different. I print two positives an pull molds from them.

By the way, different fff files work only on specific printers

tks

Kosta

https://imgur.com/a/0kNOE5u

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:44 am

How thick you make the front wing?

Bodziobsz
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hill Head UK
Gear: Airush Varialx 10m, RRD Addiction 13m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bodziobsz » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:41 am

Hi there and thank you for your work.
Just start to printing this wing but one thing that bother me and try to but can't do it for myself is can you please add wing tips for that onda wing?
Thanks!

Return to “Gear Builders”