Style: freeride
Gear: flysurfer, ozone,best,griffin
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Where to start?

Postby bacon2109 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:58 pm

Quote;
My idea is to focus on the board only.

check this 1, strait foward way to build a board, minimun shaper skill.
Some pics building a XPS, paulownia, carbon foilboard ; http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=199&t=2400849

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:26 am

3.1-3.2kg is quite a lot for my 59kg :)

I think 300g triax carbon is overkill, particularly on both sides. The main overkill is 300-350 Euros if true. Can u buy a second hand board for that price?

To be fair, I do not see a point of having plate rails, which are pain in the a.s to mount and unmount. The reason for this is weight and cumbersome handling. Plus possibility for moisture to sneak in behind the wood.

Also, I would stay clear from any type of plywood. 3 layers of 3mm ply is heavy as, we talking 9mm plank here, check that weight!

My mantra is well known: you'll always reach for lighter gear no matter what (valid for light riders I guess).

V formed between.. way to complicated. The epoxy does what it wants, it does not pour as *you* want it. It does expand when curing and than shrinks when finished. Epoxy does pour nicely in "curved" grooves, and tends to create a lot of bubbles in not so 'curved' shapes. Like V shapes :)

Rails are important. Rails add up to a beauty of the finished product, and they protect your hard work. One drop on a concrete, and it's ruined, the core might delaminate and what not.

D.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:20 pm

Ultimately, it depends on how much time and money you want to put into it. There is a reason that a lot of us did foam cures with vacuum bagging- it makes a really nice board. If you want something you can do in a weekend though, use plywood and deal with the weight.

My first (and so far only) board has a foam core, and while I really like the board, it ended up taking me weeks to finish.

Making foam boards is a hobby- it is cheaper than buying them, but it is a lot of time and usually ends up being not that cheap. I probably spent $300 on mine.

If you just want a board now, plywood will do.

Zandman
Rare Poster
Gear: Zeeko
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zandman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:10 pm

Zandman wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:40 am
Yes, as a first project I want to go as KISS as possible. Both materials and tools. (e.g. I'd rather wait for epoxy curing)

What I think of doing is:

1) Get 2 or 3 of sheets of wood sized 135x45cm
(2 or 3? How many mm? 3mm? What kind of wood? Where do I find it?)

2) Glue the sheets together, while drying use a 7x7cm square beam and the car to create a rocker

3) Cut a symmetric round/elliptic nose with a template and a saw and then sand the cut

4) Use fiberglass and epoxy at bottom side - Extra glass layers where the foil will mount
(Which epoxy? Which glass? How many layers? )

4.5) Wait to dry

5) Turn the bottom side down and pour extra epoxy at the rails - in the V formed between the dried fiberglass and the wood

5.5) Wait to dry

6) Do Steps 5 & 6 at the upper side

7) Use epoxy and salt at the upper side for grip

8 ) Drill 4x10mm holes for foil and fill with epoxy (using paper tape at the bottom to hold the epoxy)

9) Once the epoxy is dry, drill 6mm hole and use big washer on the upper side and nut at the bottom to hold the foil.
A few more beginner questions:

Could I use eps or xps foarm instead of plywood with the same process?
(even creating the rocker by gluing 2 sheets?)

If I find foam blocks of 1m , can I glue them together to achive more length, e.g. 1.5 meter?

If I want to glass 2-3 layers, do I have to wait for the first to dry, or I can put all 3 clothes together?

I assume that for the foilplate I'd better insert a piece of wood in the place of the foam. Right?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:39 am

Zandman wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:10 pm

A few more beginner questions:

Could I use eps or xps foarm instead of plywood with the same process?
(even creating the rocker by gluing 2 sheets?)

If I find foam blocks of 1m , can I glue them together to achive more length, e.g. 1.5 meter?

If I want to glass 2-3 layers, do I have to wait for the first to dry, or I can put all 3 clothes together?

I assume that for the foilplate I'd better insert a piece of wood in the place of the foam. Right?
To be fair, it does not matter for your first project. Just normal white foam can work providing you wrap the foam nicely in glass/carbon etc. Sure, the epoxy might "eat" the foam, test it before to be sure.
Ultimately, the foam is here as "filling" for the outer layers. Think of an inflatable SUP, has it got any filling? Nope, it's compressed air. Similarly, you could build a board with wood ribs and nothing between but air;)

Yes, you would know how much overlap is needed, for some wood, it is 3x1, as 1 is thinness and 3 is length. Or 4-5 to 1, who knows for foam.

2-3 layers of what? 200grams fabric, 80g fabric or 300g fabric? Uni or biax or triax? Hand layup or using a vacuum?

If wood, it must be meticulously protected where the bolts are going in. One small crack and the moisture will go in. And most epoxy is brittle.

Here, in a case you've missed it:
http://boardbuilders-forum.1077691.n5.nabble.com

Return to “Gear Builders”