Local Beach: Troon Beach
Gear: HQ Beamer 3
Libre Buggy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What is "Flying on brakes"?

Postby Bozeuk » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:06 am

Hi guys, been getting into kite buggying and have been increasing my collection. I'm getting to grips with it all but have just bought a 6.7m PKD Century II and I keep reading about how they like to be flown on brakes and I have looked and looked for an explanation as to what this is but can't find anything.

I'm very keen to learn all I can about this, I want to know the techniques and technical processes that can improve my control, speed and agility and that will get the most out of my kite. Can anyone help by either explaining it or pointing me to a good tutorial please?

Many thanks guys.

Damo

Iceni
Rare Poster
Gear: Old gear.
FF Sting, Bullet 2.5,4.5, Blade2 4.9,9.0(crossover),
PL Venom1 13m
FF Airdeck,Buggy
Wind-dragon Buggy.

Re: What is "Flying on brakes"?

Postby Iceni » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:47 am

Flying on the brakes depends on the kite model. It's a learnt skill.

What it means is to generate the maximum power from that kite you have to keep some pressure on the brake lines. For some kites that might be just keeping the lines tight, others it might actually be a little pressure, Or even enough brake to slightly stall the kite and keep it back in the wind window.

It's not a new thing Race kites are often described as needing to be flown on the brakes.

The only way you will learn how much brake pressure is needed is to actually use the kite. And to go as fast as it will let you, You should be able to feel the point where the kite is pulling the hardest.

For racing it's also easier to use handles hooked in. It will allow you to hold the brakes on easier, whist still been able to slide the handles through the hook for slow turns and dab the brakes for fast turns... and not have to have the power go through your arms.

When it's right you will be on the ragged edge. Enough power to be on the line between overpowered and slideing sideways, without an upwind compromise.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:01 am

Iceni wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:47 am
Flying on the brakes depends on the kite model. It's a learnt skill.

What it means is to generate the maximum power from that kite you have to keep some pressure on the brake lines. For some kites that might be just keeping the lines tight, others it might actually be a little pressure, Or even enough brake to slightly stall the kite and keep it back in the wind window.

It's not a new thing Race kites are often described as needing to be flown on the brakes.

The only way you will learn how much brake pressure is needed is to actually use the kite. And to go as fast as it will let you, You should be able to feel the point where the kite is pulling the hardest.

For racing it's also easier to use handles hooked in. It will allow you to hold the brakes on easier, whist still been able to slide the handles through the hook for slow turns and dab the brakes for fast turns... and not have to have the power go through your arms.

When it's right you will be on the ragged edge. Enough power to be on the line between overpowered and slideing sideways, without an upwind compromise.
What he said ^

Some kites need more than others. Race kites need a delicate touch. Pansh sprints, firsts and the newer Cerberus fly well with your little fingers putting tension on the brakes, you get a feel for the power it generates. It also stablises the kite to avoid frontal collapses by increasing the aoa slitghly.
After some practice, get hooked in as soon as possible but use a witchard qr coupled with a pulley for emergencies.

You will do better and progress faster if you join a club.

SWATK is the best club for this. Good bunch of people and mark coombs and his team can get you moving around a course, get your race licence then you can compete nationally. They do their own club races too which no licence is needed.

They are based near Weston super mare on uphill beach in summer and brean sands in winter

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:54 pm

You asked about a tutorial, maybe check out http://revkites.net/learn-to-fly/revolution-techniques

Technique 10 “Horizontal Reverse” would be a good tutorial for flying on brakes, sliding the kite horizontally in the power window.

Depower power kites on bars allow limited flying techniques, fixed bridle power kites on handles allow more techniques depending on the kite. 4 line stunt kites like the Revolution arrangement will allow the flyer to learn a large array of techniques, many that are not possible with power kites, like many listed in that link:
  • Forward and Reverse Flight
    Horizontal flight
    Horizontal reverse flight
    Basic Reverse Launch
    Fly and Slide
    Full Spins
    Inverted Hover
    Advanced Reverse Launch
    Tip Landing
    Horizontal Reverse
    Facet Turns aka The Clock
    Inverted Snap Spin
    Slide Turns
    Instant Stop
    Reverse Flight Up
    Inverted Side Slide
    Slow Motion Spins
    Spin and Climb
    The Float
    etc…

Bozeuk
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Troon Beach
Gear: HQ Beamer 3
Libre Buggy
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bozeuk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Great, thanks guys. I use handles and have a strop and harness which I'm just getting used to.

Unfortunately I can't join that club as I'm in Glasgow and also not really up for competing. It's more about having fun and going fast, sliding about and getting exercise whilst using my brain to learn something new.

Thanks again for the info, all I need now is time by the looks of it 😄

Return to “Snow / Land”