Duncan
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ozone Frenzy or alternatives

Postby Duncan » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:08 pm

Hi,

I've been using tubekites for kitesurfing in the UK for about two years. I am in Canada for the winter and fancy getting into snowkiting. The Frenzy seems to be the kite of choice at the mo. I weigh 70kg and average local wind is between 10-25 kph. The site I want to use currently has about 40cm of fairly soft powder. What size would work best?

Also, where in Canada can I get hold of these kites (so I don't have to pay huge duty from the States) and what sort of price am I looking at?

Finally, any alternatives to the Ozones?

I look forward to the advice

Cheers

Duncan

kiteny
Medium Poster

Postby kiteny » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:36 pm

Hi! I just did a huge amount of research into snow kites, and ordered a Frenzy 7.3. I'm about 86 kg (190 pounds). Here's the quick scoop on what I found:
- for snow use, the Frenzy is by far the best price/performance deal. There are a lot of kites out there I feel are inferior to the Frenzy, but cost quite a bit more.
- I was told that for bigger people (like me), the 7.3 is best for medium to strong wind, and the 12 for light wind; for smaller people, the 5 and 9.5 are the ideal combination
- Other than the Frenzy, the flysurfer kites stood out in my mind, particularly as they are closed-cell foils, and good for water as well. Without actually flying one, however, I can't tell you for sure, and they are very expensive.
- Pay particular attention to safety systems! The Frenzy seems to have them all. I recently tried a 6-meter foil with chicken loop depower system, but the chicken loop didn't lock in, so when I pulled in the handle to power up, the loop fell out, leaving me with only full power! It also didn't have any quick releases, which I consider to be another big problem. I'm on a big lake, but there are power lines on one side, and a number of people have bubblers to keep the water from freezing their boat lifts, and if I were down being dragged toward one of these obstacles, I'd want to be able to cut the kite loose, preferably without having to go for the hook knife.
- I have more moderate winds here, but they do sometimes stay at 20mph, so the 7.3 made sense for me, and then I can get the big one down the road.

I hope this helps.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:31 am

The Frenzies are great on the snow, but do not water relaunch. If you want a kite that is good for both check out the Flysurfer Voodoo. If you plan on staying on the land, the Frenzy is the best choice currently available.

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!

Postby Windzup » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:45 am

The Ozone Frenzy is definitely a sweet kite, it can be found at snowkiting locations across North America....and the rest of the world.

For Canadian sales check out http://www.mullerwindsports.com
In the USA http://www.windzup.com
and http://www.flyozone.com for everywhere else across this big ol' ball.

Good luck with whatever kite you choose to fly.

edmis
Medium Poster

Postby edmis » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:27 am

try out Voodoo if you can get one. flysurfer has done good job on this one

edmis

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:37 am

just to balance the equation up heres alittle run down on the new voodoo, without the hype.

its water relaunchable, from the side and dead downwind.
it has sealed vents and sealed leading edge zippers so can be flown open cell or closed cell.
it has rear edge blow out valves, that operate at low and high impact speeds.
it has the most minimal bridling of any current top end foil.
it has a rotor leash for loops and spins so does not tangle over the safety.
it comes with full carbon bar.
it has chicken loop and leash releases and can be killed on one outside line like an lei.
the bridle system has easy change performance settings allowing you to tune the kites performance for more pull, more depower, more turning speed, more upwind ability, torsion turn and brake turn options.
and they do a cheaper version with all the features but alloy bar and a slightly cheaper cloth in the canopy.

the ozone and the flysurfer voodoo are definately the top two choices, the new ozone is a tweaked design, the flysurfer is a completely new and unique deisgn.

try them both.

Urban
Rare Poster

And my opinion.

Postby Urban » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:12 pm

The kites mentioned here are top of the line kites and you will probably not be dissapointed either way you go. But if you do not need the kite to be very packable (for back country skiing) there is another very, very good, less expensive, alternative and that is the Peter Lynn "G-arc" or "Bomba". The downside of those are re-launch but since you have a lot of experience (they will only go down if you put them there) this should not be a problem at all. They are almost 50% less cost compared to both Frenzy and Flysurfer.

There is more info on the Bomba at: http://www.powerkiteshop.com

Just my two cent.

:bye:

/Urban.

vesku
Medium Poster

Re: Ozone Frenzy or alternatives

Postby vesku » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:36 pm

Duncan wrote:I weigh 70kg and average local wind is between 10-25 kph. The site I want to use currently has about 40cm of fairly soft powder. What size would work best?
Bigger the better! If you are familiar with inflatables Frenzy04 is for you: very similar feeling. Of course you can also use your inflatables in winter, no problems.

Take 12 (and then 7.3 for heavy wind). I'm 78 kg and I can ride Frenzy04 12m2 easily to 10 m/s (36 kph) gusts. This year's model turns easily so it is not the problem anymore.

Take care,

VESKU
Last edited by vesku on Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiteny
Medium Poster

Postby kiteny » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:45 pm

Question for guys with Flysurfer Voodoo kites: I had been told that previous flysurfer kites flew "differently" than other kites, so a lot of people didn't like them. Is that still the case with the Voodoo, or does it handle like other kites?

www.kite-surf.com
Frequent Poster

Postby www.kite-surf.com » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:32 pm

kiteny wrote:Hi! I just did a huge amount of research into snow kites, and ordered a Frenzy 7.3. I'm about 86 kg (190 pounds). Here's the quick scoop on what I found:
7.3 and 86 sounds very small! I'd get the 9.5 for a medium/strong wind solution. I flew a 9.5 last year up to 30 knots with 85-90kg. No need for such a small kite.

This year I'm using a Frenzy 04-12 for light/medium and 9.5 for stronger winds, because I will never go smaller than 9.5. Then it's just too much wind.

I'd rethink my decision for the 7.3

Take care,
Robin

Return to “Snow / Land”