Snow spots within 3 hours of NYC?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
kiteny
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snow spots within 3 hours of NYC?

Postby kiteny » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:17 am

Hi! Is there anyone on the list who knows of good spots for snowkiting within 3 hours of NYC? I'm an hour north of NYC on a big lake, but the recent rain left the surface as very uneven, rippled ice, which is not fun with much other than an iceboat.

I had some lessons from Rachael at Stormboarding in the Albany area last week, and the conditions there were pretty good.

I'm trying to set up something for Saturday, and hopefully we'll get some others to come along. As of now the predictions are for lots of wind!

Seth

Styrax
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Styrax » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:39 pm

Lake Placid has great conditions that should last for a long time. Went up there 2 weeks ago. There were several other kiters on the lake. Get on the lake at the public boat launch near town. Don't even try Mirror Lake in downtown Lake Placid, the winds there are very turbulent.

I've heard of people kiting on Lake George but I'm not sure of the current snow cconditions.

kopele
Rare Poster

Postby kopele » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:55 pm

Hi guys!
I snowkite second year. I leave 1 hour north of NY – Peekskill, Westchester. WHICH LAKE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ? wHICH LAKE WERE YOU ON?
I kited mainly at Orange Lake. Yesterday though I was told I can’t kite there any more.
It is a private lake. Too bad – it was perfect. The surface was hard packed snow – perfect for skis. I kited at Croton park on the river – north side – 1 inch of snow, close to the beach – the rest, blue ice…I want to try Candlewood lake. It is a big lake. Where do you guys launch from at Candlewood? Is there anybody having any info about Lake Wallenpaupack – it is 1 h 30 min from me ob 84 west on the Pennsylvania border. What about lakes in Putnam, along 87 north – Slyvan and Whaley? Any info will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

kiteny
Medium Poster

Postby kiteny » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:56 am

Hi! Great to hear from someone else in the area! I'm in Mahopac (Putnam County) -- about 15 minutes West of you. I live on Lake Mahopac, which is about 600 acres. Normally it's awesome, but it's pretty much bare ice right now, which isn't too much fun.

Round Lake, just north of Albany, is great, at about 300 acres and snow-covered, but that's about a 2 hour drive from here.

I'm not familiar with any of the other lakes you mentioned.

Are you up for taking a trip Saturday to find open areas with snow?

kopele
Rare Poster

Postby kopele » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:27 pm

Hi!
It is strange - Orange lake is very close to you - the same altitude on the map and is was very godd two days ago - the snow fall is so unpredictable. If you go to http://www.poconoweather.com/vidcam5.html you can see webcam of lake Wallenpaupack. It is 1h 20 min from me 85 miles - west on 84 on the Pennsilvania border. It is hudge. I am thinking to try it Saturday. i don't think you can find good open fields arownd. We didn't have a good snow fall lately. In any case tell me what you want to do. You can write me dirctly, my e-mail is popow@aol.com.

KiteVol
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteVol » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:12 pm

Hey guys...I live in NW New Jersey (Hopatcong) and am about 1 hr from Paupack..I have never been but would be interested in hooking up for some fun. I may not be able to meet up this weekend but can do it the following.

Kiteny brings up a good point in that most lakes are now ice because of the recent rain and freeze we had last week. I can't tell from the picture if the lake has snow on it or not..

Kiteny,

How was the class up in Albany? How do you like the Frenzy..I tried calling you but you were out..probably kiting.

KV

kiteny
Medium Poster

Postby kiteny » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:47 pm

Orange Lake is a bit North of me, so it probably got snow when we got rain. Too bad they won't let people kite there...

Do you know if Lake Wallenpaupack has snow on it? According to http://www.wallenpaupack.com, it's 5,700 acres! I just called a hotel & marina on the lake, and they told me people snowmobile on the lake, and it has a bit of crusty snow, which is perfect! The hotel is in zip code 18428, and weather.com says 22 mph winds Saturday! I'm in!

I met up with two other people 2 weeks ago on Candlewood Lake, and it was fantastic -- but I'm sure it has the same icy conditions now. We went to Echo Bay Marina, which is on a very large, open spot.

Seth

stormboarding
Frequent Poster

Postby stormboarding » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:41 am

It is awesome to see so many people in NYC-Upstate NY psyched about snowkiting. I flew up the Hudson (from Philly-Burlington) this morning and all the Lakes were bare ice until well past Kingston.

Seth is right, the Albany-Saratoga area is still pretty reliable and a little closer at 1.5 hours south of Lake Placid. Lake George was all snow (just need to slalom the ice fishing huts and snowmobilers) and Lake Champlain is looking great.

Hope you all can make it up to the Kitestorm Feb 28-29. It is another hour or 2 up North but should be fun and a good opportunity to ride with lots of other kiters.

rzm

KiteVol
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteVol » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:43 pm

Kiteny,

Did you guys meet up this weekend? How were the conditions..etc?

KV

kiteny
Medium Poster

Postby kiteny » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:56 pm

Lake Wallenpaupack was amazing! We had fairly constant 15-20 mph (my estimate) winds. My Frenzy 7.3 was well powered. I was only able to be there about 3 hours, but still registered 34.5 miles on my GPS.

It is HUGE -- you can go for miles without turning if you want. It's hard, crusty snow on top of ice. It was great for skis -- very easy to edge, but hard so you don't sink in, which makes it very fast.

If it's windy this weekend, I'm definitely up for going back.

Seth

Return to “Snow / Land”