Forum for snow- and landkiters
KiteVol
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boards for Ice?

Postby KiteVol » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:47 pm

Anyone have any info on ice boards? I heard someone out in Montana makes some..

Thanks
KV

kiteny
Medium Poster

Postby kiteny » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:37 am

Hi! Keith at http://www.mticesports.com makes them. Tell him I said, "Hi!"

Seth

KiteVol
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteVol » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:20 pm

Seth,

Sunday looks good :thumb: (10 -20 mph..avg 15 mph) for Paupack...Are you in so far :?: ..How about kopele?

I think I want to buy an Ice board...from Keith..I hope they work well.

Thanks
KV

montanakitesports
Medium Poster

iceboard

Postby montanakitesports » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:09 pm

Hiyas!
I have a couple of boards ready to go...how much do you weigh? If you are interested in a board I will tune it to your weight for no extra charge! Drop me a line at montanakitesports@yahoo.com for info on shipping etc.

Keith

kiteny
Medium Poster

Postby kiteny » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:41 pm

I'm in for Sunday! I'm sure Kopele is as well.

Let me know if you get the ice board, as I'll definitely come down your way to check it out. The last I spoke with Keith, he ships them with no bindings; that's up to you, so the best bet is to get whatever is on your snowboard.

We'v got light wind here today, so hopefully I'll have some time to get out the Frenzy 7.3 and my ice skates.

Seth

KiteVol
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteVol » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:06 pm

Keith,

Sent you an e-mail..maybe you can give me a call..(the number is on the e-mail).

Seth,
Probably won't have the board for the weekend but hopefully there is still snow up there..Maybe we can call on Saturday..(I Know it might rain up there on Saturday)..

How much snow was there last weekend?

KV

kiteny
Medium Poster

Postby kiteny » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:15 pm

There was a lot of snow up there, and it was crusty on top, which made it very fast. It's supposed to rain Saturday, then get cold that night, so it will likely be very crunchy, which is fine for skis and perhaps a snowboard. It definitely will not be good for the iceboard.

I'm looking forward to the rain here Saturday, since it should help smooth out our ice. The quads drove all over the lake when it was slushy, and then it froze with their tracks still there, so the conditions are awful in places.

How is your lake?

KiteVol
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteVol » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:22 pm

It is all ice..so I haven't gone at all. Also, I have the same problem..with the 4x4's and snow mobiles...

Are you riding on bare ice..how is it..I don't think I can go on it with my snowboard.

KV

kiteny
Medium Poster

Postby kiteny » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:04 pm

I have over-sized speed skates -- see http://www.nordicskater.com/hiking/index.html

I have the ones from the top picture. They are very stable, and since they are so long and have a big slope at the front, they handle the bumps quite well. My problem is that I'm not much of an ice skater, so I'm learning that and kite handling at the same time. I've been using a Little Devil 2.1 with handles. I did 6.5 miles and hit 20mph the other day with only 2 falls, so I'm definitely coming along.

Keith gave me the best suggestion in the world for ice: get a really good pair of knee-pads (I have size XL skateboarding knee pads from Curb Dog - about twenty bucks and they are perfect) and screw some screws through the back of the pads pointing out the front. Cut them off with a bolt cutter so they are not too long. That way, when you fall, instead of sliding for miles, stick your knees down and dig the spikes into the ice. Trust me, you'll slide to end of the lake without them!

Seth

KiteVol
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteVol » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:08 pm

They look pretty nice...

KV

Return to “Snow / Land”