KV
There is a write up on them in http://www.kiteatb.co.uk

KiteVol
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteVol » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:26 pm

I really like the windscooter but it's way overpriced...Anyone know of any websites showing how to make one? Anyone selling one second-hand?

KV

Fatolebastard
Rare Poster

Postby Fatolebastard » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:18 pm

KiteVol wrote:I really like the windscooter but it's way overpriced...Anyone know of any websites showing how to make one? Anyone selling one second-hand?

KV
Funny old world isn't it eh? You could say the same about a Lada or a Merc couldn't you after all they are just cars why such a difference in price.

the kitescoot isn't mass produced it is a handbuilt to your spec from the best materials, kite traction specific kiteboard. It is special and it is very cheap for what you get. The quality smacks you in the face and every time you ride your appreciation for the simple and robust design brings a smile to your face.

My origional is 2 years old and has been hammered to death, I am a heavyweight, it is just as good as a new one, no bearing replacements no mangled decks no broken straps and fits me like a glove. Best money I ever spent. As for making one yeah it is a very simple design and that is why it's so good but it is the material compatability that is important and I don't think the patent owner of the steering mechanism should be ripped off.

Not everyone's bag which is fair enough but it ain't expensive it's quality.

:D

Mad_Marc-

Postby Mad_Marc- » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:32 pm

KiteVol wrote:I really like the windscooter but it's way overpriced...Anyone know of any websites showing how to make one? Anyone selling one second-hand?

KV
You can get one on http://www.intoko.de (German site) right now by choosing "Sport & Wassersport" | "Landsurfen / Landkiten".
intoko is more relaxed than ebay, just a way of getting in contact. So you can make an offer without beeing forced to buy it, if you decide different later.
I will put a few more older models there and also some parts to build your own, if there's enough interest.
The new ones made of aluminium won't be available second hand, because nobody is so stupid to sell his board, really :)

Marc - mad_marc@windscooting.com, http://www.windscooting.com

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:47 pm

Dirtsurfer inline boards are the same or less money than windscooters. They are also a simple design, based on the proven physics behind bicycles. They have the most ground clearance for riding rough terrain and are as stable as you can get at high speeds!

No question for my money

See for yourself:
http://www.dirtsurfer.com

mad_marc
Rare Poster

Postby mad_marc » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:53 pm

On KiteATB.co.uk forum, there's a thread about windscooter - dirtsurfer.
'proven physics' ?
Yes, a dirtsurfer is as stable as a bike, especially at low speed, when the front wheel twists around for no reason. That was the impression when I rode them :)
Is 390EUR really that overpriced?? Compared to a kite? Compared to a water kiteboard?

And you know that, without having ridden a windscooter I bet.

Marc

-- http://www.windscooting.com

Fatolebastard
Rare Poster

Postby Fatolebastard » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:10 am

Anonymous wrote:Dirtsurfer inline boards are the same or less money than windscooters. They are also a simple design, based on the proven physics behind bicycles. They have the most ground clearance for riding rough terrain and are as stable as you can get at high speeds!

No question for my money

See for yourself:
http://www.dirtsurfer.com
I can't knock dirtsurfers they do the same job as a kitescooter but they don't do it any better except in outright speed. The kitescooter is more stable at any speed period. The dirtsurfer as you quite rightly point out is based on bicycle principles in their construction and abviously because they have two wheels inline, just like a kitescooter, where the big differences lay is the physical size for a start off, the kitescooter is only slightly longer than a standard mountainboard and not as wide, the dirtsurfer is pretty huge in comparison, the kitescooter in it's heaviest form is as heavy as the lightest dirtsurfer, and last but most importantly not least the kitescooter is specifically designed for kite traction and it is the precision of the steering mechanism that sets it apart from anything else out there.

There is no inline board that steers with the same predicatable precision due to deck tilt manufactured yet, that comes close to this board.

Dirt surfer are a good mass produced functional inline board and heaps of respect...the kitescooter is from the same family but is the next level and really can't be compared....back to the cars... a VW beetle is essentially the same as a Porche.......

Pay your money dude and make your choice but don't slam the kitescooter on price alone without sussing out why it costs what it does and the fact that it is "dead ard" and can take any abuse you think you can throw at it without dissapearing up it's own backside.

Keep smilling :D

The fatone

srod
Medium Poster

Postby srod » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:07 pm

regarding windscooter and/or dirtsurfer what happens when really powered up - are powerslides easily controlable or do you just end up losing edge and slipping on you arse?

what kite are you using in that windscooter vid? bar looks about 2 metres long!

mad_marc
Rare Poster

Postby mad_marc » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:01 pm

@srod: About sliding: there's a set of new videos and the one I nearly hit the cameraman shows some overpower. If you can, watch it in slow motion. You can see the drift of the rear wheel and the front wheel eagerly searching it's path.
I like slides on wet grass when riding downhill. I do slides sometimes to stop at the end of a grass field. Because of the tilt of the wheel, there is too much friction in my opinion and the grass is ripped out. This is not the way to stay friends with the farmers.
4-wheeler's tires stand perpendicular on ground, so they can slip with less friction and less damage of nature.

My bar? Hahaha, that's ONLY 1.2m :)
I ride the ARC11.20 with a 120cm bar (that's 94cm between the lines) but would prefer 100cm. The ARC8.40 with a 80cm bar, but there are also some vids with a 60cm bar.
Power is nothing without control!

Marc

Postby Guest » Sun May 16, 2004 1:26 am

I am from Calgary, Canada. After long considerations I decided to buy a kitescooter. It arrived yesterday and we gave it a try today. Here are my impressions (if you need it in one word - awesome!)

My son (19 years old, learned how to surf by himself in 7 days, great skier, windsurfer and kiter, NO snowboarding experience) nailed it instantly, he started to carve by the third run. For me (I am 49, same sporting background as he, only I never was able to stand up on the surfboard, plus I broke an ankle learning to kite 3 years ago on grass) it was a bit longer. About half an hour. The biggest problem for me is phsycological, when starting. It turned out to be much easier on the STEEP slope. No need to push - just stand up on it and here it goes. by the end of my first hour I was making turns both ways. I am planning to do it as often as I could. I will move to the kite only after feeling very comfortable at all speeds.

also, the thing is so solidly build, it is so light and compact (comparable to Dirsurfer), and the steering mechanism is very precise (no loosiness)

Return to “Snow / Land”