Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Detroit, MI - powerfoil for scudding/lift ?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
FDpod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Detroit, MI - powerfoil for scudding/lift ?

Postby FDpod » Tue May 18, 2004 4:13 am

Hi folks,

I live in the US, NW of Detroit, MI and was thinking about adding a foil to my kitebag.
Right now I do not plan on going kitesurfing or kiteboarding (maybe later :-)), I just want more pull for skudding and jumping (just a few feet ;-)).
My weight is 160lb.
The wind speed 'round here IMHO is around 5-25mp/h.

After endless forum studies, test reviews, ... I ended up narrowing it down to : flexifoil bullet, blade or the ozone little devil with approx. size around 4.5m2.
(Actually I got the reccomendation at a store to step down from my original intention of a LD 6.0)
The Blade is a little pricey for just trying it out but I like the slogan on their site: ....Recommended for intermediate to advanced flyers - and those with no fear... < I'm going with the last part 8)

Anyway, anybody local that has a recommendation what'll work best ?
Has anyone flown one of those foils around Detroit ?
Is the 4.5 size a appropriate size or too big / too small ?
Am I making a wrong choice on the type foils after all for Detroit ;-) ?
BTW: Are there any bigger local flying fields around ?

Thanks
Frank :bye:

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Re: Detroit, MI - powerfoil for scudding/lift ?

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue May 18, 2004 11:25 pm

FDpod wrote:Hi folks,

I live in the US, NW of Detroit, MI and was thinking about adding a foil to my kitebag.
Right now I do not plan on going kitesurfing or kiteboarding (maybe later :-)), I just want more pull for skudding and jumping (just a few feet ;-)).
My weight is 160lb.
The wind speed 'round here IMHO is around 5-25mp/h.

After endless forum studies, test reviews, ... I ended up narrowing it down to : flexifoil bullet, blade or the ozone little devil with approx. size around 4.5m2.
(Actually I got the reccomendation at a store to step down from my original intention of a LD 6.0)
The Blade is a little pricey for just trying it out but I like the slogan on their site: ....Recommended for intermediate to advanced flyers - and those with no fear... < I'm going with the last part 8)

Anyway, anybody local that has a recommendation what'll work best ?
Has anyone flown one of those foils around Detroit ?
Is the 4.5 size a appropriate size or too big / too small ?
Am I making a wrong choice on the type foils after all for Detroit ;-) ?
BTW: Are there any bigger local flying fields around ?

Thanks
Frank :bye:
You weigh almost the same as me. The sizes you have chosen will be ok for the winds you say you get, but at 25mph a 4.5LD will be quite a handful.
If the winds tend to be stronger rather than lighter then maybe consider the 3.0LD? The 3.0 flies faster and develops good apparent wind power

Blades, especially Blade 3's are awesome traction kites, but I do think you get what you pay for, how much are they asking for a 4.0M 0r a 4.9M?

Bullets and LD's are quite similar, although I prefer the way an LD flies.
I have been flying and selling both brands from several years.

FDpod

Postby FDpod » Wed May 19, 2004 3:11 am

Hey Steve,
wow that's what I call local :-) How's Australia these days :-)
Just kidding. Thanks for the comments.

Actually I think the wind's going to be on the lower end, but I guess I'll eventually still end up somewhere around the 4.5m size.

The Blade MK3 4.0 is 500US$ (w/o lines) & 4.9 is 550US$ (http://www.cobrakite.com/index.htm)

Since you say the LD and Bullets are similar, could you describe the difference a bit from you direct comparison point of view? How do they fly different?
Do they produce any lift at all BTW in the 5-25mph range?

Last but not least a controversial question:
Blade 3's are awesome traction kites, but I do think you get what you pay for
What makes for instance the Blade more expensive than the LD or Bullet. ? Is it the material, the manufacturing process, the R&D, the targeted user group, ...? No offense to anyone but the LD i.e. is said to be top quality but it still costs a good deal less than a Blade same size...

Regards
Frank

rudeboysaude
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby rudeboysaude » Wed May 19, 2004 3:37 am

I have a LD 6.0 and it's a great kite, but not really much for jumping. I wiegh about 200 pounds though so it's gotta work to get me flying. I used it this winter snowkiting and can't remember once ever getting good lift. The frenzy's and flysurfer have good lift and nice floaty rides through the air. If you want to do more jumping in the future with your foil, that might be the way to go. I use my viokites all the time and they get the job done very well. They are even developing a new land model only kite with open valves. I've got the proto and it's a pretty sweet kite. Very reasonably priced too brand new. Plus they are depowerable, where the LD is not. Essential for solo kiting in my book.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Thu May 20, 2004 2:54 am

FDpod wrote:Hey Steve,
wow that's what I call local :-) How's Australia these days :-)
Just kidding. Thanks for the comments.

Actually I think the wind's going to be on the lower end, but I guess I'll eventually still end up somewhere around the 4.5m size.

The Blade MK3 4.0 is 500US$ (w/o lines) & 4.9 is 550US$ (http://www.cobrakite.com/index.htm)

Since you say the LD and Bullets are similar, could you describe the difference a bit from you direct comparison point of view? How do they fly different?
Do they produce any lift at all BTW in the 5-25mph range?

Last but not least a controversial question:
Blade 3's are awesome traction kites, but I do think you get what you pay for
What makes for instance the Blade more expensive than the LD or Bullet. ? Is it the material, the manufacturing process, the R&D, the targeted user group, ...? No offense to anyone but the LD i.e. is said to be top quality but it still costs a good deal less than a Blade same size...

Regards
Frank
Hi Frank
Its a small world, we just happen to be on opposite sides of it, but that should not make my advice any less useful to you.
Blades sell for similar prices here, Bullets sell for approx $100AUD per size less. You get a much better backpack, and a much better performing kite, thats what I meant about getting more value for money, value to me is flight perfomance. I guess that is where we are all different though, as to what defines value.

Over all its performance that makes the difference between a Blade and those other models, all of which are good kites, especially if you only want to skid down a beach or cruise in a buggy or on a ATB, but if you want to race, jump, kitesurf, kitesnowboard, and get upwind better, then you will be better with a Blade.

FDpod

Postby FDpod » Sat May 22, 2004 5:16 am

@ Steve,
all right, when I'm ready to place the final order I guess I'll have to rule out the LD & Bullet then if I want to do jumps any time later on. :-)

@ rudeboysaude
It's really tough for a newbie in foils to pick the right starter foil that's forgiving in the beginning and still demanding when further down the line of experience. I haven't run into the flysurfer-kites so far. They look really good and have a wide range of sizes, ....
I'm not quite sure if it's my league though. ;-)

It's really strange but all recommondations seem to turn up new kites to consider instead. :roll:
I'll probably just have to close my eyes, take a pick and hope for the best.

Either way thanks for the insights. :thumb:
Frank

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat May 22, 2004 11:32 pm

FDpod wrote:@ Steve,
all right, when I'm ready to place the final order I guess I'll have to rule out the LD & Bullet then if I want to do jumps any time later on. :-)

@ rudeboysaude
It's really tough for a newbie in foils to pick the right starter foil that's forgiving in the beginning and still demanding when further down the line of experience. I haven't run into the flysurfer-kites so far. They look really good and have a wide range of sizes, ....
I'm not quite sure if it's my league though. ;-)

It's really strange but all recommondations seem to turn up new kites to consider instead. :roll:
I'll probably just have to close my eyes, take a pick and hope for the best.

Either way thanks for the insights. :thumb:
Frank

G'day Frank

I hope you are not confused Frank, you would not be disappointed if youi got any of the kites that have been mentioned. I would go for one that you can buy locally, so that you get adequate service and support with it.

Keep in mind that jumping on land with any kite makes you a candidate for the Darwin Awards.
Everyone I know who has done it has miraculous escape stories to tell, or is badly hurt and has a debilitating injury for life from it, or they are in the ground pushing up daisies.!!
Have fun, do all the other things, beware of jumping on land, once you lift off, you are not in control anymore, the wind is. :o

Return to “Snow / Land”