Forum for snow- and landkiters
Nate
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

mountainboard recommendations

Postby Nate » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:55 pm

I'd like to get into kite mountainboarding. I've been researching boards a little and have three choices all in the same price range: Terraboard F117, MBS Core 16, Ground Industries Flight. Anyone recommend one over the others or something I've overlooked. I'd be using it mostly in grass, sometimes tall grass with bumps, and sand once in a while or plowed fields. I'm 165lbs and good at other boardsports. Thanks, Nate

Tempest Riders
Rare Poster

Postby Tempest Riders » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:04 pm

I favor Ground Industries Flight Deck because they are pretty light. :thumb:

Tempest Riders
Rare Poster

Postby Tempest Riders » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:05 pm

heavy or light, your gonna have a tough time in tall grass or soft sand. You will want to stay with short grass and hard packed sand for max fun.

Fatolebastard
Rare Poster

Postby Fatolebastard » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:28 am

Check out http://www.windscooting.com as he is doing a brilliant deal on the best kite specific board made.

It isn't mainstream, it isn't mass produced but it is awesome to ride and very easy to get on with, brilliant on everything but soft sand!

:D

Summoner242

Core 16 is a great board

Postby Summoner242 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:51 pm

Hei hei.

I bought a Core 16 for kiting a while ago and it's sweet. Fat Bastard there is always espousing the merits of the windscooter, and I've heard really good things about the inline boards, but the big practical disadvantage is that they are directional. You can't just stop and start travelling in the other direction, you have to turn, and they have a larger turn radius than a standard 4-wheel board. Not to say that they don't rock.

But, as for the boards you listed, there are two practical issues: the first is weight and the second is availability of parts and things. These boards take a fair bit of abuse, and I've lost screws and stuff like that. MBS sells really nice replacement part kits and there are way more places that sell MBS boards and parts than any other board maufacturer that I've ever seen. I think basically all the good mountainboard manufacturers use MBS Matrix trucks, so maybe the same parts are good for any board.

Even though I bought it for kiting, I get more use from my board as transportation, so the specialized kite decks may not be the best use of money as they don't perform as well, all around.

HTH

-J

mrmille
Rare Poster

Postby mrmille » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:17 pm

I use MBS Core 16 aswell.

There are some good things and some bad with the core 16.

Bad.
The bindings, called Free flex, are a bit slippery. I bought the MBS F3 bindings and are very satisfied with the result. The Free Flex bindings are made for downhill but sucks when you kite with them.

Good.
Stable and solid board.
The matrix trucks rocks (period). Ive put new and harder eggshocks in mine wich made the board wobble-free.
The tires and ball-bearings are of very high quality.

I really must recomend this board, when the winds fail it can give you some very nice moments riding downhill. If the winds are strong your landings will be soft and smooth.

mad_marc
Rare Poster

Postby mad_marc » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:34 am

There's nothing wrong with 'Fat Bastard' suggesting to have a look at the windscooter. Everyone 'good at water-board sports' will most probably be rather disasppointed about a 4-wheeled boards sensation. Expecting a sports car and getting a bulldozer :wink:

There's a short paper about the PRINCIPAL difference between 2-wheelers and 4-wheelers, which is independent of brand or special design. It contains a few facts, that the 4-wheeled riders never tell:
http://www.windscooting.com/doc.html

Yes, you can't ride an inlined board backwards. But do you really believe we stop, pick it up, turn it around by hand an then start again? Hahahaha. Dream on!
I personally turn it around with the front foot in the time my kite needs to turn into the new direction. If I don't turn it around by a hop. I've never found this a problem. I have the impression, that most of the time, 2 additional wheels are needed to compensate a lack of imagination.
If windscooters don't rock, then kitesurfboards don't rock either.
The only thing that rocks is a tiny-wheeled offroad skateboardlet (of 1960's technology) with a damn cool design painted on it (and the letters MBS of course), right? :roll:

4 wheelers are either damn heavy OR have too small wheels. That's a fact!
They are either made for high speed (egg shox provisory) OR they turn well. Another fact.
Besides the lack of surfing feeling. Yet another fact.

cov

mbs core 16

Postby cov » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:06 pm

I have recently bought an mbs core 16 and currently use it for mountain boarding i find it to be a great board althought the bindings could be better. I am now looking for a kite to go with it so that i can try kite mountain boarding any suggestions?

.:TheBeest:.
Frequent Poster

Postby .:TheBeest:. » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:49 pm

it all depends on what you want to spend...

If you have got bags of moeny go for a Flexifoil Blade/Bullet or Ozone Frenzy or something like that.

If your on a budget go for a PKD Buster, HQ Beamer or Rhombus Firebee.

:thumb:

Flexifoil
Ozone
PKD
HQ
Rhombus

Return to “Snow / Land”