Forum for snow- and landkiters
Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Snow kiting with skis

Postby Don Monnot » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:40 pm

Skates on smooth ice are fun, but scary fast. With so little contact with the ice there's no drag. It's easy to more than double (triple?) the speed of the wind. The intensity of focus is fun--always looking carefully well ahead for cracks, bumps, rough patches, ice fishing holes, etc. I usually prefer a snowboard with a switchblade adapter just for the stability. I have trouble getting my ski edges sharp enough to stay upwind on such smooth ice, but the speed runs are awesome! Better (faster) than the snowboard/switchblade combo.

Don

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:51 pm

No doubt, having a board with a Switchblade really opens up the number of days a boarder gets on the ice. Especially here in New England. They really are amazing pieces of equipment.

Right now our ice (what we have) is bare. I'm in heaven.

Flying the Chrono 15m on ice, easily triples the wind speed. :D
Attachments
Snapshot - 215b2.jpg

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Don Monnot » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:53 pm

edt wrote:"LEIs dont get horribly smashed on crashes into snow?"

not really. You are probably safer smashing a kite in the snow than on the water. Just don't land it in a tree.

"will doing an inverted rotation risk slicing my lines with my skis' edge sincs the skis point in front of me instead of side to side like a snowboard?"

Yes. Don't slice your lines! You can slice them with a snowboard too if you are doing inverted tricks and get careless.

"Now why do long gliding jumps deteriorate your gear more than doing lots of jumps on the water?"

I don't see why they would.
Long gliding jumps would not deteriorate your gear any more than on the water. The difference is the consequences of gear failure. If you're 30 feet off the water and a line or your CL breaks, it'll probably hurt. If you're 100 feet over rocks and a line breaks that's a much different outcome. With the updrafts you get from terrain (and the fact that the land surface drops away from you) you can get much higher off the ground than you can get off the water, and the surface you're flying over can be much less forgiving.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:23 pm

Twin tip skis for riding switch are a must, its always fun to watch who's behind you!

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:10 pm

And they kick up serious rooster tails in the pow. :D

Return to “Snow / Land”