ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby ScottN » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:09 pm

I'm always up for Snow Mesa. I'll let you know how Saturday goes. The 10th should work for me.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:09 pm

:P OHHHH Snow mesa I could go there so easy! 10th could work for me. Up date for Grand Mesa 6" more of powder. Most rocks at lands end road covered.

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:09 pm

I could be talked into Grand Mesa as well if things looked better to go there. Its all about the same distance for me. It seems like Grand Mesa is leading the State for snow right now.

Look forward to hearing your report for this next Saturday, Scott. Sooooo ready for the season to begin....

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks Anthony for the info on Grand Mesa. One other question - it seems like there are a fair amount of trees up there, but I am having a hard time gauging how big the open areas are. Are the winds pretty smooth, or do they get a little squirrely from the treeline?

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:23 am

I almost hate to give my opinion being so experience limited. The only other place I've snow kited is lizard head with Matt. Comparatively, L H has ten times the open space and much cleaner wind I only had one session there. On the other hand for a more skilled rider the potential for the Mesa is truly awesome. If you could get a sled ride to lands end you could literally kite 10 to 12 miles back to Highway 65. Not saying it is wide open but mostly so. Trees sometimes come down to 300 to 400 yds apart from the lands end road. It my friend Todd and my dreams to check out some of the more isolated meadows of which there are literally miles of open area. Winds on the other hand are typically on the low side. 10 mph on your typical day. I found a video on you tube called kiting the Mesa and it appears to be where Todd and I go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORvWWLYLfGk This could give you some appreciation of the area.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Regarding Grand Mesa, I think Anthony has nailed it. From my attempts to kite there, there are plenty of open-ish areas but enough surrounding trees to distort winds. Winds tend to be lighter at GM than Red Mountain Pass for instance. I think this is due in part to the relatively lower elevation. I have had a couple of cool kite tours on GM threading open glades together with very challenging tree slots and terrain. One ended badly when I stuck my old 9m 50' up a spruce tree.That was some expensive holiday decorating! It took 2 trips with various gadgets just to get the litter out of the sky.

I think the jewel of the area would be the Land's End but you need a machine to get out there. Looks great but still fairly flattish compared to Snow Mesa or McMillan. Grand Mesa is a worth a detour shortcut if you're traveling from SW Colorado to the I-70 corridor or points beyond.

In other news, McMillon is covered now enough to ride. More snow today.

ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby ScottN » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:05 pm

Johnny and I got down to Snow Mesa on Friday, took the sleds about half to two thirds of the way up the trail. As long as you go slow and watch for rocks it's doable. Skinned the rest of the way up. The snow up top was set up pretty well. The wind cooperated and we had a great day. I'll probably go down again next week and can make the 10th work if the forecast looks good.

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Guys, thanks for the info on Grand Mesa - that was kind of the vibe I was getting from Google Earth, that it might be a little tight until you can make your way out further west.

Forecast looks a little wonky for Snow Mesa on Saturday - pretty significant gust factor at the moment - but maybe it will settle down in the next few days. Snow Mesa would definitely be my 1st choice; my buddy Aaron is also looking to come along. Also looking at Rabbit Ears Pass as a potential back-up.

In other news looks like the Snowkite Summit is off to a good start with good snow. I just couldn't make it this year. Maybe next time.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:31 pm

Good N thermal winds yesterday at Lizard Head right up to sunset. About 16" coverage making everything rideable. Still punchy in the bushes.
20161203_162144.jpg

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Snow conditions at Rabbit Ears Pass are very good. Knee-thigh deep fairly dense base.

I officially hate the drive back though: Dillon/Silverthorne is a complete zoo esp if you have any snow falling.

Return to “Snow / Land”