Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby PDCK » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:21 am

Lizard was epic today!
Really powered and the snow was soooooooo deeeeeeeep!
What a day!
IMG_6125.JPG
IMG_6124.JPG

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Full value sunset yesterday on McMillan with Parker and Lorne. Gusts on the Putney sensor in the 50s!
Big Mac 1-31-17.pdf
(234.13 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Man, it looks like you guys have been having some great conditions out west. PDCK - those pictures deserve to be hung on a wall - awesome!

I've been having some great days out and about the Fairplay area the last couple of weeks as well. Turning out to be a great winter!

PDCK
Medium Poster
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:32 am

Haven t been to Big Mac yet this winter! Looking good Matt!

Today could launch SW corner at LH and ride all the way to NW corner.
Terrain behind those trees is awesome!
IMG_6133.JPG
IMG_6134.JPG
IMG_6135.JPG

PDCK
Medium Poster
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:05 am

Yesterday started extremely gusty and nasty!
Struggled for about an hour, till it settled and turned out to be pretty good with my 8m UL.
Lizard always surprise you!
IMG_6136.JPG

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:14 am

Getting some good time on the Grand Mesa Over 6+ feet of snow. It was nuts driving up there last weekend 10' walls along the road leading to absolutely no parking. But they got it all pushed back and parking is great again. Friday 20 to 30 mph gusts ended my day early with a 10' lift and drop that trashed a binding on my board. Got some shots of my friend Todd on his Skies, he ended up flying a 3 and was still moving around pretty well. Got up early this morning and saw a flat line of 11mph winds for over 4 hrs, on Wind Alert got up there by 10 worn out completely by 2. Man am I out of shape. To much time pushing the RV around. :D Great day. Hey PDCK I'm good for lizard head any time you want to meet up. I'm seriously jonesing for some different kiting. :cool2:

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Oh man the sunset was amazing last night at 12k! The beauty made up for the hard pack and sastrugi. I kited til dark then packed up and gravity skied back down to the car by moonlight. Magical.
20170208_174523[1].jpg
20170208_175055[1].jpg
20170208_175203[1].jpg

SupaFly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas / Colorado
Gear: Ozone Access 9m
Salomon Sanchez 152cm
CrazyFly LW
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SupaFly » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Beautiful pictures guys!

Noob kiter here... my first time out was on Turqoise Lake last Sunday. I have about 15 hours of water lessons behind me, but it was my first time on snow... alone too. I have a quick question.

Before I figured out I could pull on the middle lines then release them to get the kite to shoot back up in the air (I am on an Ozone Access 10m), the wind died down and I wasn't able to get it relaunched untill I figured that out.

I strapped out of my board and sunk down into about a foot of water on top of the ice below the powder. The ice seemed solid, but it scared the heck out of me.

One person I have talked to said this was normal, but I thought I would get a second opinion here, as he hadn't been kite boarding in a decade. With the recent heat wave, it makes me worry more. At what point in the season should I start to worry about how thick the ice is, and if it is too thin for kiteboarding?

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

If any kiters have Sunday/Monday off and live around Leadville (or Vail/Frisco), I would be down to go kiting with you!!! Kiting alone seems lonely/sketchy, but my love for the wind will get me out there alone anyways. Just as with kiteboarding on the water, after just one time on the snow.... I am hooked!!! I am looking to go kiting again on my next "weekend" (Sunday or Monday). The early forecast for Monday seems decent.

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:07 pm

SupaFly wrote:Beautiful pictures guys!

Noob kiter here... my first time out was on Turqoise Lake last Sunday. I have about 15 hours of water lessons behind me, but it was my first time on snow... alone too. I have a quick question.

Before I figured out I could pull on the middle lines then release them to get the kite to shoot back up in the air (I am on an Ozone Access 10m), the wind died down and I wasn't able to get it relaunched untill I figured that out.

I strapped out of my board and sunk down into about a foot of water on top of the ice below the powder. The ice seemed solid, but it scared the heck out of me.

One person I have talked to said this was normal, but I thought I would get a second opinion here, as he hadn't been kite boarding in a decade. With the recent heat wave, it makes me worry more. At what point in the season should I start to worry about how thick the ice is, and if it is too thin for kiteboarding?

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

If any kiters have Sunday/Monday off and live around Leadville (or Vail/Frisco), I would be down to go kiting with you!!! Kiting alone seems lonely/sketchy, but my love for the wind will get me out there alone anyways. Just as with kiteboarding on the water, after just one time on the snow.... I am hooked!!! I am looking to go kiting again on my next "weekend" (Sunday or Monday). The early forecast for Monday seems decent.
Water and slush under the snow but on top of 16" of ice is fairly common. Some people even ride with a mini ice scraper to knock it off when it freezes to your board. I'll probably be out on Lake Dillon the Sunday after this one.

SupaFly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas / Colorado
Gear: Ozone Access 9m
Salomon Sanchez 152cm
CrazyFly LW
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SupaFly » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:47 pm

kitejumping wrote:Water and slush under the snow but on top of 16" of ice is fairly common. Some people even ride with a mini ice scraper to knock it off when it freezes to your board. I'll probably be out on Lake Dillon the Sunday after this one.
Thanks for the info! I may be out there on Sunday/Monday too depending on the wind. Maybe I will see some of you guys out there. :D

Return to “Snow / Land”