Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Forum for snow- and landkiters
kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby kitejumping » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:33 am

Currently on Lake Dillon, the north side is all either slush or choppy ice depending on how warm it is, the south side is really hard pack, although it warms up in the afternoon if it has been sunny and 40s all day. Video from late this afternoon, south side, we really need another foot of snow.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Got out to Colorado last week for some boarding, and between a couple days at Telluride and a few days at Silverton, I had set some time aside to snowkite. I had one day of good wind, one day of marginal and one day of none...

...I have to again give a huge thanks to matthepp for the sincere hospitality and local intel on my second trip to kite in SW Colorado. Even more than the water kiters, I've found the snowkiters to be extremely welcoming and will go out of their way to help out visiting kiters. We had the same experience visiting the Jackson Hole kiters last year. That said, here's the SW Colorado trip report...

I had two days at Lizard Head pass. Had to wait a bit for the wind to fill in on Day 1, but then got a ripping session until sunset. I need a bigger kite, though. That 12M just doesn't cut it in the deep snow and variable air. The guys on 15Ms always seem to have a lot more margin to play with. Watching matt soar off the hills and float down in pretty light air was a treat.

Visibility was a little sketchy, but I went back the next day to find a bluebird day. The wind was much lighter. I got to slog around a bit (would have done better on a 15M or Peak 12) but it was one of those gorgeous days that I didn't really care. It was just a treat to be out there!

Day 1 LH

Day 1 LH, came in to a gorgeous sunset. Always love a sunset session...

Day 2 LH, view from above

Day 2 LH,

Day 2 LH, light wind, waiting for a gust.

For my 3rd snowkiting day matt called and said they were taking Timbersleds into the Maggie Gulch area. They were hoping to kite and offered me a tow in. "hell, yeah!" was my response. This is an absolutely gorgeous valley that I have to imagine is epic on a windy day. We didn't get the forecast wind for the day, but matt did drag around a bit on his 15M. I didn't mind the lack of wind. It was a pleasure to be out in that beautiful area, tour around a bit on skis, and watch the guys have a field day on the sleds. Definitely felt lucky to see that area as a tourist. Absolutely gorgeous.

On the same day, though, TommyGun went over to Lemon reservoir and they had a nice snowkite afternoon. Some pics of MG;

Day 3, MG

Day 3, MG

Day 3, MG - these guys pulled my ass in. Thanks again for the effort to get me in here! (lorne, matt & tom)
How bad-ass are these sleds? Damn!

:thumb:

(sorry about the purple tint to many of those photos - those were all editted while traveling on the iPhone. I just cropped, hit the auto enhance button, and uploaded. Came to find out that Apple thinks everyone like a little purple with their snow! :) )

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rvrrat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Awesome trip report. I know what you mean. The snowkiters out west are top notch! Love how they are into helping us east coast guys that make the effort to go west get the goods. HERE'S TO YA!!!! JR

Zackbones
Rare Poster
Gear: Frenzy 7, Summit 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Zackbones » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:08 am

I'm sure this is a long shot but has anyone kited up near the Opus Hut (Sort of near Ohir)? I've been there before and I remember a lot of open, above tree line terrain. It's an impressive zone for skiing.
I'm heading there this weekend and am considering bringing the kites to see if I get lucky.
Cheers, Zack

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:30 am

Hey Zach,
I would say that if you're staying at the Opus hut, you should already consider yourself lucky! Bring kites! Forecast is for south winds so there should be spots around to catch wind but it'll be mostly steep right near Bob's hut. Ophir Pass itself is a small area aligned east-west. We normally kite more easily accessed on the other side of highway 550 that tends to catch west wind. Keep an eye out for wet slides on the sunny stuff with the warm up on the way. Good luck.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts

Postby matthepp » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Hey Gang,
Winds look good this weekend both days for Lizard Head. Snow should be great! Light, sunny, warm Saturday and maybe a little rowdy Sunday. JR is rolling through. It would be fun to get a posse out there, maybe even a race. Who's in? I'll show up with kids, sleds, cooler, grill, hot dogs.

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:19 pm

You're killing me Matt. If I didn't have family obligations, I'd really consider driving out.

I've got a break coming the last two weeks of March and will be looking for an excuse the check out some of more Western CO spots - maybe we can find a date to meet up. I would love to check out Lizzard Head at some point - pictures look amazing.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:53 am

Hey Matt Your killing me too. I was thinking of heavily investing in a Mesa weekend, and now I saw your post. Killed another phone yesterday this has not been a good month for Phones. :roll: Will communicate your intentions to Todd maybe we could get out there and Join you. What time are you thinking of try to get there to set up. Who knows maybe I'll remember to bring an actual set of boots. :-? :-? Here's to hoping we get together this weekend.

PDCK
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:09 pm

Hey Matt,
I ll see you in the afternoon!

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts

Postby matthepp » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:50 pm

Anthony We should have have a posse up there by noon. Forecast looks really good today. Stinking Parker already tracked it up yesterday on his 17m. Point forecasts are calling for gusts in the 90s tomorrow so git it now

Return to “Snow / Land”