Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:12 am

Grand Mesa conditions snow is still fairly fresh with a hard layer underneath that allows walking. Winds today 10 to 14 MPH. Overall good day. Flying my 15.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:15 am

Ready for the next big adventure. Took the snowmobile out today to the front edge of the Grand Mesa. I towed Todd out on ski's and he brought me back on my board. You know the song Miles and Miles. That's how much open country is back there. We're going to do a second day at the beach with the RV Maybe, With the Snowmobile definitely, shuttling people to the winter wonder land of the western edge of the Mesa for some epic kiting. Come on up it should be fun. Get a hold of me to make definitive plans. Winds at midday Sunday forecast for starting around 10 at noon and picking up to 15 by 3. Thinking 9:30 to 10:30 to meet. Meeting at the highway 65 turn to Lands End, park on the shoulder of the road avoid the snowmobile crossing point marked by poles and kind of obvious. :D :D Snow conditions are freezing over night with crust thawing by noon to one. Old snow. :bye:

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:55 pm

Anthony - sounds like fun! I've got two weeks off work 20 - 30 March and am looking to make a 3-day trip out west to check out some of the spots out there like Lizard Head and Grand Mesa. Let's keep in touch.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Hey Anthony, how was the scouting mission yesterday? Ironton was really flukey. The warm temps and sun are starting to take a beating on the lower elevation snow conditions. No storms in the forecast at all.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Success!!!!! Todd, Zack, Chris( my son who explored the Mesa on the sled), and myself with one snowmobile made it almost four miles into the Grand Mesa. Towing 3 people on skies and snowboards is definitely an experience. I caught an edge on my snowboard on the way out thank God I had the Helmet on, that snow might as well have been a sheet of ice. As for the kiting which was our goal, Zack and Todd started out small with a 7 and a 5 meter kite respectively. I liking to live dangerous put up my 11 :thumb: . In their defense I outweigh both of them substantially and Zack by 80#. Later the wind eases up and we all put up our big kites. Snow was hard, icy, and not fun. But the experiment was a success and we look forward to seeing and kiting more of the Mesa. :rollgrin:

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:25 pm

I kited Hoosier Pass this weekend - Hoosier was much more windblown and Icy and scarce than I'd hoped w/ freezing fog. Dropped down to Dillon Res afterwards and was able to salvage a nice lightwind session down there. Dillon had about a half inch of snow on top of ice/frozen corn. FWIW, Anton thinks there's only about a week left on the lake for the season.

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Dillon is all uneven ice at the moment
Attachments
20170312_135341.jpg

PDCK
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Kited up Upper bear creek yesterday morning, toward Ophir ridge.
Couldn t make the last few meters to the ridge due to wind direction.
Then kites up the W facing slope, as high as possible, till no snow was left. The last storm had some 100+mph wind at the top.
Was a fun ride.

Playground of the day with my 8m UL.
Dist travelled 11.34mi
Trip time 3.38
Max speed 33.45mph
Max elevation 12870'

Here is where i launched.
IMG_6306.JPG
Track of the day.
IMG_6303.JPG
Exit was a bit rocky :D
IMG_6305.JPG
Ophir ridge and T12 to the right.
IMG_6304.JPG

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:13 am

Mickey that look like an amazing spot, nice work! My afternoon work break today was a little more pedestrian but a lot of lit powered fun still.
Crystal 3-13-17.jpg

Zackbones
Rare Poster
Gear: Frenzy 7, Summit 12

Postby Zackbones » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:13 am

I'd like to take a trip down to the SW zone and check out the Snow Mesa/Lizard Head Pass/Red Mountain Pass etc. areas for a few days. Its nice and warm for camping finally. I'm a little skeptical about snow conditions though. The snow around here have really gone to shit. "Frozen Ocean" conditions up on Taylor Pass above Aspen (12K). Gross and basically unrideable. Pretty bad snow on Grand Mesa as well but I wonder if that will corn up soon. Same story around the SW zone? Better to wait for a snow refresh or corn cycle? Thanks for any advice.

Return to “Snow / Land”