OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby matthepp » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:20 am

Yo PD,
I got out on Crystal Reservoir Sunday with maybe an inch of snow on top of smooth ice. Good thermal conditions for towing 3 rugrats behind me. Made lemonade out of lemons. There were a few inches on the ground up in mtn village today. Let's see some pics from the LH season opener!

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Saturday me and my buddy Aaron took a chance on Hoosier Pass, hoping the small storm from the night before might make it rideable. Expectations were pretty low but we did get rewarded with a few inches of blow powder and ended up having a pretty good time. Winds were pretty gusty and a bit tricky since they were coming from the NNW and the best snow was found playing the leeward side of the windslope. Had a fun time though and ended up being a great opportunity to test out the new HQ4 Montana X in fairly challenging conditions.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:32 pm

Heading up on the Mesa today. Suspect ground is not well covered but all the lakes are solidly frozen. With 4 to 5" of fresh on top should lead to some fun, Will keep you updated.

sklar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, TX
Gear: Slingshot Turbine 17M, 15M. Core 11M. Slingshot Rally 8M. Lyft Foil and Celeritas surfboard.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sklar » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:53 pm

I am going to be in Telluride Dec 25-28th and am thinking of bringing kite gear. I have kited at Lake Dillon but that's the limit of my mountain wind knowledge. Was hoping to get by with 2 kites but have no idea what the "normal" wind conditions are. Forecasts showing for Ridgeway and Lizard Head suggest leaving gear at home. Would love local input. My options: 17M, 15M, 11M, 8M. ps - great forum!

PDCK
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:06 am

Went to lizard yesterday, Friday, for the first one of the season.
It s sad.
Went the day after the storm, and only 2/4 inches, no base. Was extremely gusty, 5mph/30mph.
We are supposed to get an other inch or two by Monday and then nothing for as long as i see.
Same for the wind, it looks very light. Bring a big kite.
It always works better with N or S dominant. Too W or E usually does not work well.
If I see It could be good, I ll be there. I usually ride my 15m or my 8.
Here is a decent forecast : https://www.windguru.cz/158771
Bring some gear, there is nothing worse that leaving the gear home and missing a good sesh.
Mickey
494C3D17-2DAC-4182-80A9-2B9E24236B36.jpeg

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:18 pm

There is some frozen lake kiting on the Grand Mesa about 2.5 hrs north of Telluride. Bring larger kites typically lower wind speeds. I'm free to show you around when ever.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:19 pm

Sklar,
I hate to be a choad press, but based on the ski hill conditions and the snow/wind forecast my advice to bring your ice skates.

ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby ScottN » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:05 am

Taylor has about 4 plus inches of snow on top of the ice. Light winds today, gusty yesterday and not to bad on Friday on more NNW. Hopefully more snow tonight.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:37 am

So new found skill set today. 6 lifts one up about 4' had an awesome
Session. Small lake about 3" of cover over ice, doable!! Grand Mesa Rocks

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Heading up again today at least 5" of fresh and the wind looks great. Grand Mesa season is on. Matt you should join us at least once this year.

Return to “Snow / Land”