Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Skyline / Strawberry snow conditions?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Skyline / Strawberry snow conditions?

Postby Matteo V » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:01 am

Nice! I am soooooo jelly.......

My snow season got cut really short this year for unrelated issues. I am living though all the kiters still getting some.

Zackbones
Rare Poster
Gear: Frenzy 7, Summit 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Zackbones » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:10 am

I would be very appreciative for some forecasting help for Skyline/Strawberry. I've never been to either areas. I have a window of opportunity to hit them this week starting Tuesday. What is best direction? Looks NW on Tuesday. My areas favor a SW and anything else tends to be gusty and pissed off. Does one area favor a particular direction or wind strength? My biggest kite right now is a 12 Summit. I'm small and on skis so I figure with a more spring type snowpack I don't need super duper strong conditions. Any advice to not waste a 5 hour drive would be greatly appreciated! A secondary question would be recommendations for free truck (4x4) camping in either area. Cheers!

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Not up there now - Can a local chime in and help with current conditions?

For free truck camping, the lot up at skyline is free with vault toilets but no running water. Stay where you launch the kite. Internet access is just about 1km away up the hill at the turn off for the unplowed Skyline drive. That spot up at the top of the hill makes a decent launch on super light winds. And NW there tends to be more west than N so Bosco, the gliding hill, is lit up on that.

At the multiple pull offs for Strawberry, you just camp in the lot at any accesses with a vault toilet, or walmart camp in Heber City if a storm is dropping snow. It's best to stay out of the parking lots so they can be plowed for you when it is snowing. If you stay and a plow is working in your lot, get your a-- up even in the middle of the night and move so the snow plow does not have to work around you. That goes for Skyline too. And pitch in by shoveling out the toilets too.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:58 pm

I am a local. The snowpack is excellent with more fresh on Sunday. Every direction is rideable at Skyline. I just checked ikitesurf and NOAA and the upcoming week looks good, the only iffy day looks like Wednesday if your largest kite is a 12. You might get by that day, but you never know as the forecast can change from day to day. If it were me, I would make the trip as it looks like a lot of windy days and good conditions.

Zackbones
Rare Poster
Gear: Frenzy 7, Summit 12

Postby Zackbones » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:32 am

Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated.
-Zack

Busterpike
Rare Poster
Gear: Skis and a 15m kite.

Postby Busterpike » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:43 pm

Any reports on current snow conditions at Skyline? Pretty grim out at strawberry.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:32 am

From what I have heard, its not ready yet. The US snowcover map looks pretty anemic, still.

There are some people going up there but some sage is still sticking through. Best wait another week or so. I am headed there hopefully around the 15th of January or somewhat later.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:18 am

Strawberry is not ready - not even close :cry:

Skyline is still pre-season conditions with exposed rocks and sagebrush. It is the worst start to winter that I have seen in the past 20 years. We have had a high pressure ridge over much of the west, so storms are going to the north of us. Head to Wyoming or Montana if you want good snow.

The situation is slowly improving. We had a weak storm today and another is forecast for mid-week, but we will be lucky to be riding Strawberry by February. It takes a lot of snow to cover the sage at Strawberry.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:43 pm

I am grateful for our little bit of snow here in the Midwest. But I still have not ridden any good terrain. We would have needed at least 12" more to fill in the tall grass around here. If that would have been the case, some of the days were perfect direction for riding on some of the dam faces and spillways.

All I need is a spot to set up my kite and a road ditch with some snow to ride on. I have no sled so Jackson would be the only option for me, and me no likey there.

Return to “Snow / Land”