Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

sad news to share

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:43 pm

Careful out there! http://bangordailynews.com/2015/02/17/n ... -accident/
Man killed Monday in kite skiing accident on Crystal Lake

By Beth Brogan, BDN
Feb. 17, 2015, at 6:34 a.m.
HARRISON, Maine — A 49-year-old man was killed Monday morning in a kite skiing accident on Crystal Lake.

Adam Tsapis was skiing on the lake at about 11 a.m. Monday when the kite he was using to propel him across the snow caught a gust of wind and lifted him off the ice, slamming him into a shed on the shoreline near 14 Shore Lands Road.

Harrison Fire and Rescue personnel took Tsapis to Bridgton Hospital with traumatic injuries to his leg and arm, according to a release from the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office. He was later taken by LifeFlight of Maine to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, where he died.

No additional information as immediately available.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Re: sad news to share

Postby matthepp » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Dammit that sucks. My sympathies to friends and family. Do the best you can to mitigate the risks and enjoy every moment you've got.

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby rvrrat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:27 am

:( Very sad news. Sorry to hear this. Condolences to his friends and family. JR

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:30 am

yes, sad to hear this!

My condolences as well.

Luckily there are not that many fatalities in snowkiting...although the risk is higher on the hard grounds.

RIP

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumarcil » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:32 am

My sympathies to the family and friends.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby NHKitesurfer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:53 pm

I started the day Monday on a lake a couple of hours southwest from where he was at. The wind was as bad as I've ever seen with lulls dropping to <10 knots and gusts well over 30 and at times it was coming from 2 different directions. The surface conditions on the lake I was snowkiting were pretty bad...wind blown snow with 4' drifts, jagged edges and bare ice every now and then.

I really struggled at times as the wind would scream from one direction and then switch to another. It was scary if the kite was at the zenith when this was happening. When it came time to call it a 30+knot gusts came through just as I was setting my kite down. I struggled to keep it from relaunching and was ready to punch out with my hand securely gripping the quick release at all times. It was a very unnerving feeling. Monday was a gnarly day for beginners and advanced riders alike.

My condolences to the family.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:20 pm

Ugh, that is awful to read. Very sad news and sincere condolences to his family.

I think a lot of us kite in shittier inland conditions as the wind tends to be gusty but we don't have to worry about swimming back like we would in the summer. Those severe gusts around hard ice and other objects scare me any time I experience them. Luckily in the past I've been able to park the kite at the edge of the window with my finger on the safety release and wait it out. As NHKitesurfer said, it's a different story if it comes in when your kite is high.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:36 pm

From reading his bio online, his passion in life was working with disadvantaged kids in the outdoors. He was doing good works and a real value for society. Awful way to go, my sympathies for the friends and family. He will be missed.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:34 am

That is sad, we see very little accidents in the winter as the playground is huge but when you wipe out, it is always painfull

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:45 pm

My sympathies to his family and friends.
Such an unfortunate and what seems to be an avoidable accident.

NHKitesurfer, based on your description of the conditions, I have to ask respectfully.... why were you out there? Actually, why was anyone out there? 30 knots with lulls less then 10 knots, shifting directions, challenging, if not down right miserable surface conditions. Did you even enjoy your session?
I see people going out in awful conditions quite a lot, its like they made the drive so therefore they have to go out....
You don't have to go out. I would rather kite the next day then go out in crap and risk my life today. There will always be another day....

RIP Adam

Pete
NHKitesurfer wrote:I started the day Monday on a lake a couple of hours southwest from where he was at. The wind was as bad as I've ever seen with lulls dropping to <10 knots and gusts well over 30 and at times it was coming from 2 different directions. The surface conditions on the lake I was snowkiting were pretty bad...wind blown snow with 4' drifts, jagged edges and bare ice every now and then.

I really struggled at times as the wind would scream from one direction and then switch to another. It was scary if the kite was at the zenith when this was happening. When it came time to call it a 30+knot gusts came through just as I was setting my kite down. I struggled to keep it from relaunching and was ready to punch out with my hand securely gripping the quick release at all times. It was a very unnerving feeling. Monday was a gnarly day for beginners and advanced riders alike.

My condolences to the family.

Return to “Snow / Land”