kiting snow board

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: kiting snow board

Postby Starsky » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:13 pm

One piece of advice..... Sidewall construction snowboards hold up a lot better to the abuse that is kite snowboarding than cap construction boards.

Side wall is exactly that. The top sheet comes to an end and you can see it in cross section from the side with another material making up the side wall down to the metal of the edge. There will be a sharp corner from top sheet to side wall. These are side wall boards:
sidewall.jpg
Cap construction is when the top sheet is moulded down from the top of the board down the side to the metal edge. There will be a rounded corner from top sheet down the side. These are cap construction:
cap-construction.jpg
cap-construction.jpg (93.24 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Hope this helps.
cap-and-sidewall-snowboard-.gif
cap-and-sidewall-snowboard-.gif (42.4 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
As for board shape and riding style. Generally go for a type of board that closely resembles the type of riding you will be doing with your kite. Deep powder, get a nice wide powder board. Wind swept lakes, get a board designed for groomed hills. Wanna hit kickers and jib off stuff, get a park board. Thing is, anyone who knows how they wanna ride, already knows all this stuff!

If your new to snow kiting, your safe in knowing that in general most middle of the road designs work well as they allow for a fairly balanced binding placement on the board. Anything too downhill oriented will have a lot of offset to the inserts and have a definite bias in direction. If its your first snowboard for kiting, don't spend a ton of cash. You are far more likely to hit rocks, earth and plenty of hard ice with a kite. There are a few people who like having a board with no side cut for the times there is ice but little snow. They are not my choice, and I would rather wait for snow, but they work in those conditions.

joe cheng
Rare Poster
Local Beach: China, Qidong
Favorite Beaches: Qidong, Munai, boracay
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha, ozone
Been thanked: 0

Postby joe cheng » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:12 pm

lewmt wrote:
Any comments about the:

length,
width,
stiffness,
She was amazed, thrilled, & mesmerized.....ooops wrong forum.

Again - what conditions are you riding? Deep powder in backcountry? Marginal lake cover on ice? Lots of freestyle or huge airs, gliding, free riding? The deeper the snow the bigger the board - generally. Not wider - just longer. Do you currently have a snowboard? Its probably fine. If you're totally into backcountry riding in big terrain you may want something a little stiffer & floaty-er . Lots of twisty/turny freestyle handlepassy stuff - shorter & lighter.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:23 pm

joe cheng wrote:kindly advise what are the best kiting snow board in the market for:

1. Upwind

2. Freeride
1. Upwind.

Cheap.

2. Freeride

Cheap.

3. what else?

Cheap.

Unless you live in POW POW mountain you are going to mash up your kite snowboard. Around here we have a few kiters with fantastic snow kites, like that aboard escape or the nobile map n5, I mean those are some fantastic snowkite specialty boards, the thing that makes them great is the reduced radius, we are edging constantly so you want a much flatter edge so that you aren't constantly riding on the toe and heel. Normal snowboards force you into a carving turn pretty much all the time but we want to be able to ride hard on the edge load up and then carve. But nothing matters as much as those little rocks, corn stalks, who knows what under that snow. Even on a frozen lake if you are riding your perfect snowkite snowboard you can burn off your edge in one session or there might be some frozen gravel left by the ice fishers quading around. The guys around here that have those snowboards ride them twice a year when conditions are perfect. The rest of the time they are like everyone else, on a $100 board. Save your good board for the slopes. I'm not like stars I can't wait to ride if there's a half inch of snow I'm there. If you are like me and try to get at least 100 sessions in for a snow season you will end up with a snowboard that you can see through at the end of the february. Snowkiting is much much harder on a snowboard than going down the slopes. You want to have two snowboards. One for going down slopes and the perfect once a year snowkite sesh and your beater that you don't mind p-texing every day after a good sesh.

Just my two cents. If you like pick up a nobile they make great ones. Just be careful with it.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:46 pm

Why do snow sports people use all these annoying words like:

Dump
Pow Pow
cornflakes
p-tex
?
-------

Drives me insane.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:54 pm

corbett wrote:Why do snow sports people use all these annoying words like:

Dump
Pow Pow
cornflakes
p-tex
?
-------

Drives me insane.
wut? shred the gnar gnar pow pow on a huge dump or wipe out a yard sale on death cookies i dont know any other words.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:58 pm

edt wrote:
corbett wrote:Why do snow sports people use all these annoying words like:

Dump
Pow Pow
cornflakes
p-tex
?
-------

Drives me insane.
wut? shred the gnar gnar pow pow on a huge dump or whipe out a yard sale on death cookies what other words are there?
Moderator!!!!! Toby!!!!! stop this guy!!!!!!!

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:04 pm

it's 70F (21C) right now in Michigan blowing 20 knots. I am pretty sure the closest I'm getting to actual snow kiting this season will be that shaun white snowboarding game. thanks El Nino.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:48 pm

"shred the gnar gnar pow pow on a huge dump or wipe out a yard sale on death cookies i dont know any other words."

Hells yeah bro brah total sickness white gold superman torpedo dolphin! Bring it El Nino-

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:31 pm

P-Tex is not lingo.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:37 pm

matthepp wrote:"shred the gnar gnar pow pow on a huge dump or wipe out a yard sale on death cookies i dont know any other words."

Hells yeah bro brah total sickness white gold superman torpedo dolphin! Bring it El Nino-
so jelly. el nino is dumping you but it's boiling the midwest, the only whites i see is on my fried eggs

Return to “Snow / Land”