Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Colorado State Parks

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Sojourner
Medium Poster

Colorado State Parks

Postby Sojourner » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:44 am

Will update this topic when I hear more. If someone has expertise on land management issues, please let us know.
Last edited by Sojourner on Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

FrontRangeJeff
Rare Poster
Style: unfolded lawn chair maybe?
Gear: a couple Cabrinha's
a couple Switch's
some slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Airush, Nobile, Trampa blah blah
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Colorado State Parks

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:19 pm

Bummer Sojourner! I too kited at the same spot several times in the past with ZERO issues. As my user name covers I'm on the front range but several times a year found myself down there.

Any interest in joining forces to have a meeting with the chief ranger of the park? I could drive down with another buddy or two maybe having a few of us being super diplomatic we could get the park to officially recognize it as acceptable.

On another forum I had a "flavorful" discussion with a member regarding our state parks. I had this offered as "proof" we aren't welcome at our state parks.

From the 2014 CO State parks Land & Water Regulations Page Two:
It Shall Be Prohibited......

AIRCRAFT
15. To land or take off with any type of aircraft on any Parks and Outdoor recreation lands and waters except as specifically authorized by these regulations or in case of emergency. “Aircraft” means any device or equipment that is used or intended to be
used for manned flight or to otherwise hold humans aloft for any period of time, including powerless flight, and specifically includes, but is not limited to, airplanes, helicopters, gliders, hot air balloons, hang gliders, parachutes, parasails, kite boards, kite tubes, zip lines and other similar devices or equipment.

Well my responses would be this: kites are not for manned flight. Holding a human aloft for any period of time is a grey area - because I'd contend that I rarely ride powered enough to get airborne. Even a powered jump is often less airborne then an air chair/foil behind a boat.

Sorry for the book response but I too struggle to find non-avalanchy options especially for buddies whom are still learning and are intimidated.

Just ping me if maybe getting a couple people together can help in anyway!

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many
Has thanked: 0

Postby corbett » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:27 am

Last edited by corbett on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrontRangeJeff
Rare Poster
a couple Switch's

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:36 pm

Corbett: You are a reverse barometer on this topic in my opinion.

Being a confrontational ass hat; ie telling someone to f*** off and get a real fucking job would not be constructive ideas (as specifically requested by op).

Additionally you have not a clue about consent to regulations. Upon entry to a state park via either purchase of a day pass or annual pass the pass itself clearly states acceptance of all regulations. On a day pass and annual pass both you must provide your name, address, license plate number.

So the terms and interpretation of the regulations are paramount. Park rangers have wide sweeping "final say" of what is ok and what isn't. The terms of the reg are vague, poorly crafted and given our niche existence many may choose to deny with authority to cover the bases of what is really a pretty weak stance.

I've had success by going to the visitor center first and seek out rangers I see in advance. It is pretty hard to kick someone out when you've had a positive interaction before the kite was ever seen.

Sojourner
Medium Poster

Postby Sojourner » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:10 pm

I was the only person for what felt like 100 miles.
FrontRangeJeff absolutely said it perfectly in last year's post when this topic came up. This is a massive space and our activity doesn't affect anyone. The ranger's were still friendly at the time Jeff posted.

The ranger said he only sees 2-3 people a year doing what I'm doing. By his own admission he singled me out for the sole purpose of enforcing a regulation. He acknowledged I wasn't jumping/flying or impacting the land or other users. The interaction on his part wasn't in the interest of public safety.

The purpose of my post is to gather information about when a government authority is enforcing a regulation by misrepresenting the rule. Also I need help understanding the obligation of Land Managers to make the land available to all uses that are in agreement with the State Park mission.

Thanks for your input. I'm hopeful.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster

Postby corbett » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Last edited by corbett on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrontRangeJeff
Rare Poster
a couple Switch's

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:55 pm

Corbett...you are really bad at trolling. Keep trying though.

So feel free to get back to me after your testicles finally descend and you move out of that tiny basement belonging to your mother.

Sojourner, I think you are on the right side (obviously :)) enforcing for the sake of enforcing proves that it is silly. Might just take a single chat with the head ranger to "clarify"...could even just kite the other side.

Lots of times I find BLM or any other public lands rather then the lakes - if you have a Gazetteer they are awesome for finding little gems from the roads. Hit me up with a pm - there are some decent spots if there is coverage on the way to the park.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:31 am

I would call the Colorado Division of Wildlife and Parks and ask for someone that can help you with regulations and how they should be applied, or not applied, to kiting.

The rangers at Rocky Mountain National Park said I could kite up there but that is a federal park. The Ski Patrol at Beaver Creek said I couldn't kite at McCoy Park but that is reserved for cross country skiers and hikers - although they used to allow paragliding up there but maybe not anymore.

volock
Rare Poster
Gear: Lots

Postby volock » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:28 am

I've always wondered about Colorado State Parks... I visit my parents who live in Kiowa these days, and have debated bringing kite gear to a state park... I've only ever kited on NFS/Private land so far up there... Anyway I decided to just go ahead and ask the Steamboat Lake State Park on Facebook what the rules were for snowkiting.... https://www.facebook.com/Steamboat-Lake ... e_internal has my post and their response... Now this does absolutely nothing for official rules or anything else, but I figured it could be asked by an apparent outsider to see what happened.

Hope you guys get access! NM doesn't have us kiters banned anywhere (yet) but there's limited venues that are usable for water anyway... Snow the state parks have been open armed to us. I even have had rangers offer to let me know when the "usual" wind is picking up.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster

Postby corbett » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:39 am

Last edited by corbett on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Snow / Land”