Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: I'm new to landboarding

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Looking at your quiver of current kites. Why not just use your leis to begin with? They will work sweet. The foil will give you the advantage of quick launch and land without pumping. But you will need to learn slightly different techniques to fly it properly. So rather than have a kite learning curve and a board learning curve. Use the kites you already know then later if you feel the need for a foil buy one.

PS. Get a landboard with bigger wheels for bumpy or soft terrian or small wheels for hardpacked terrain.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:44 am

sub 10knts on grass, haha,,, well thats a whole different story u will probally need something bigger than a 12m for that. may be like a 14m or flysurfer 15m. I would advise u to try a nice day on the sand when the tide is out u will learn faster that way and will use less power than on grass.

NewGuy wrote:Thank you guys!! That's exactly what I'm wanting to do is landboard on days that there isnt enough to kitesurf or days I can't make it to the beach cuz there just isn't time. I would be riding grass unfortunately I'm still trying to scope out sights that I could ride. I have only found one so far :'(. So my goal is to get out in sub 10knts.

parksy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Camber, Greatstone
Favorite Beaches: Pembrey
Style: arms and legs all over the place
Gear: HQ Beamer 3 3m , Exit pro 6m, HQ Montana 3 9.5m, Pansh Blaze 2 12m, Eola R1 ATB, Maui Mystic Aviator seat harness Wow that was a long time ago!
Now riding Flysurfer Speed 5 12m and 15m, CKB LB44 Ocean Rodeo Session 2 harness
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby parksy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Hey Newguy, what 12m FS are you thinking of? Like any kite 'it' won't be too big or too small, it will depend what wind you take it out in. I'm not sure what 200lb is in stone, and cba to look it up now, but as you already have experience with other kites, judging by your sig, you will be fine around 12 to 15mph, probably underpowered, but you'll get used to the pull and work out your timing and balance. Speed 2 are nice and solid, Speed 3 are nice and grunty, Speed 3CE really nice control, stability and power, Speed 4 slick and floaty, Speed 5 another planet, everything you want and more. Like any kite, take it out in lower wind, get a feel for it, then take it out in more wind when you are comfortable with it. Don't worry about what people are flying on the water, you are just learning to board, start gently in lower wind with the 12m, get moving, get your basics done ie start, stop and work on it. In my opinion a bigger kite in less wind is better, you don't want a whippy kite in high wind wanging about while you totter about on an unfamiliar board! Good luck with it, avoid soft sand unless you like the taste! ps if you getting S5 maybe try it in 10mph first!!!

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:40 pm

I learned to land board at the beach in sub 10mph with a 17m Flite. I did this when the winds were not ideal for the ocean. Finally got some balls and landed some backrolls and one front roll the other day. How do you guys keep your bearings from rusting after riding in salt water?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:48 am

Buy stainless bearings. You can get cheap ones on eBay. I get between 1 and 2 years for my land board bearings.

Return to “Snow / Land”