Windstoked
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Thermalito Afterbay and Sherman Island, California
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Upcoming Rockies Snowkite Trip

Postby Windstoked » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:38 am

A few of us are thinking about driving out to the Rockies for a snowkiting trip from California the week after Christmas, but the 10-day forecasts aren't looking very promising for wind at any of the usual sites. I noticed that Raynolds Pass on the Continental Divide between Idaho and Montana has been going off every day lately, and this time of year it shows the best wind stats of any place I've found that's suitable for reasonable access snowkiting.
The topo map shows a gently sloping bowl-shaped valley that funnels the wind nicely, but it's all cross-slope as near as I can tell, and therefore I'm uncertain how good of a site it is to work on gliding.
Anyone have advice on this site or others likely to have good wind next week?

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Re: Upcoming Rockies Snowkite Trip

Postby lewmt » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:20 am

Island Park, Raynolds Pass, Mount Haggin, Big Hole Pass, Ririe, Antelope Flats, all have potential to be good over the holidays. There's plenty of snow cover for most of the park & ride spots. If you have a bile the potential is boundless. We usually look 1-2 days ahead & plan spots accordingly. Anything further out - timewise - is a waste of energy. Most spots have very defined wind directions which work well. Be prepared to drive plenty and if you see kiters out - go there. Raynolds Pass has some public & some private land and its best to know where to launch & ride. Often land owners are willing to allow kiting if you're courteous enough to ask permission. They almost always get pissed and may even call authorities if you kite on their land without asking. Sometimes its hard to tell who the land owner is. I know there will be plenty of kiters out in SE Idaho & SW Montana through the Christmas week. The Raynolds, IP area is a great starting point.

Windstoked
Medium Poster

Postby Windstoked » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:53 am

Thanks for that great info lewmt.
We were looking at the readings from Raynolds Pass the last three days and my buddy thinks that sensor must be off. Are these for real?
Raynold's 12-20.JPG
Raynold's 12-20.JPG (38.23 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Raynolds 12-19.JPG
Raynolds 12-19.JPG (32.39 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Raynolds 12-18.JPG
Raynolds 12-18.JPG (25.66 KiB) Viewed 3385 times

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:44 am

No. We've been getting some crazy winds. An area N & E of there was getting 80+ mph gusts. Should settle down a bunch in the next few days with new snow on the way. Colder too

Windstoked
Medium Poster

Postby Windstoked » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:26 am

That's incredible wind. I couldn't go back to Saturday on Windalert, but it was averaging in the 30's.

Here's a topo map showing Raynolds Pass in the upper left corner with Henry Lake lower right:
Raynold's Topo.JPG
I assume that everything south of the Targhee National Forest Boundary is private property, and everything over the pass on the Montana side is also.
It looks like a cutout of private property into the NF just south of the gravel pit includes some cabins off to the west of the Highway. Any other areas of private property that we should be aware of?
Here's a video I found of the area that looks great. Is that cool cornice on public property?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUtTySYL7vo

Kevin Brooker
Medium Poster
Style: snow
Gear: Home sewn

Postby Kevin Brooker » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Cool video, thanks for sharing. Kiting flat lakes in New England seems like a tease.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:23 pm

All if the spots around jackson WY are in great condition right now. If you come this way be sure to look me up so you know where to go. Have fun!

Windstoked
Medium Poster

Postby Windstoked » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:09 am

waynepjh wrote:All if the spots around jackson WY are in great condition right now. If you come this way be sure to look me up so you know where to go. Have fun!
Thanks, Wayne.
There's nothing we'd love more than getting a chance to kite with the Masters. You guys are truly inspirational.
We'll be rechecking the forecasts a couple days beforehand and following the wind, and if we end up in your area will definitely connect to pick up a few tips and shred some world-class powder.

Nelson

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none
Been thanked: 0

Postby rvrrat » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:07 am

Just left the house and headin' west. Gonna be runnin' around the Northern Rockies for the next 3 weeks. Got a small taste of all the snow you all got a couple weeks ago. I know you got a bunch more since then. I'd be stoked to hook up with ya Windstoked. Holler at me if ya like. Got a bunch of Ozone Foils, Teleskis and my machine. Hope I get to run into ya! JR
Attachments
IMGP9738.JPG

Windstoked
Medium Poster

Postby Windstoked » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:24 am

Wow, that's quite a rig and collection of toys for your roadtrip west, rvrrat!
We ended up choosing Skyline, Utah at the last minute when they upgraded the Wednesday forecast, and it delivered as promised.
Today was the best kiting day we've ever had, and also caught some of the action for an upcoming video. Some good wind in the forecast for Sunday and Monday, but have to work Monday and with and 11 hour drive ahead of us, will probably head home tomorrow night. Will be out again tomorrow, so maybe we'll see you up there.
Have a great trip.

Return to “Snow / Land”