Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2017 Hardwater Kiting Snowkite Speed Ranking is On!

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

2017 Hardwater Kiting Snowkite Speed Ranking is On!

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:31 pm

That time of year again and this season we all seem to be getting an actual winter!!! Last season we had 50 riders in the ranking with the fastest speed posted by Guy Lebrun of Quebec @ 70.87mph.

It's always great watching people progress and watching the top riders battle it out for the top spots. It's as much a matter of lucky conditions as it is skill so you never know what will happen.

If you have a GPS and want to participate we would love to see you in the ranking.

For more info please visit the Hardwater Kiting GSR page.

http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/speed-ranking.html

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2017 Hardwater Kiting Snowkite Speed Ranking is On!

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:00 pm

Always a good read seeing how incredibly fast you guys go on the ice. What is the world record?
Interesting to see the high aspect R1 near the top. I predicted that would be right up there. I wont be suprized when the high aspect foils take out the top speed.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Yes, cool thing guys!

Let's see how fast you can go in 2017!

Would a single skin be faster? Possible with high speeds?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:17 pm

It's got to be more about conditions than the kite. If you look at the world records for water it's something like going 50-60 knots in 40-50 knots of wind so something like 1x or 1.5x wind speed. On ice the resistance is so much lower very easy to get 2x wind speed in 20-30 knots. Nice smooth surface solid smooth wind, small kite, good gear, and a good direction. Most of all though you need massive brass ones. Not sure how many runs you get on skis because you burn off that sharp edge so quick. Skis are really nice because of the amount of control you get, but I would hate to crash on them. Has to be an amazing rag doll going 50 knots. I don't think you need a special kind of kite so much as special conditions, get everything to line up right.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:28 pm

What about ice skates?

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:31 pm

regular ice skates are impossible, the slightest gust and you get knocked down. Those huge finnish speed skates are better so you can probably build up more speed on them but still it's awkward fighting the pressure of the kite with those tiny little blades. It's why I built my ice board. I've only taken my iceboard up to 30-40 knots and doubt I will go faster, for me it's not about the numbers but the feelings. Props to those that chase that record! I think the fastest I've gone is almost 40 knots on a 1 inch pack snow over ice on my snowboard. That's plenty fast for me. Also, can't chase the record in a snowboard because skis are so much faster.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:37 pm

If you look further down the line st you see speeds for speeds for skates and boards. I do agree it's more about conditions and balls than kite.

But all other aspects being equal what is the fastest kite?

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:41 pm

check out 3rd place. envy. I have an envy that has to be the dog slowest kite you can possibly use it's medium aspect kite with big sides, good all around but terrible drag. Fastest kite know of course those are the race kites, but who wants to buy a 5 meter race kite just to bust a snow record, when you can hit the leader board with your regular 7 meter kite? Also the ozone chrono v2 doesn't come in a 5 meter size . . . . so I dunno. I guess use the 7m chrono v2 that's got to be the fastest, that's a lot of money to spend just for bragging rights.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:02 pm

My buggy record is 61.6mph with a 3m fb race kite pansh first in about 25-30mph winds.
I can not imagine 70mph on skis and over ice. Gotta have big kahoonas for that.
Sadly our winters are just more rain and no snow or ice or lakes for that matter.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:57 am

edt wrote:check out 3rd place. envy. I have an envy that has to be the dog slowest kite you can possibly use it's medium aspect kite with big sides, good all around but terrible drag. Fastest kite know of course those are the race kites, but who wants to buy a 5 meter race kite just to bust a snow record, when you can hit the leader board with your regular 7 meter kite? Also the ozone chrono v2 doesn't come in a 5 meter size . . . . so I dunno. I guess use the 7m chrono v2 that's got to be the fastest, that's a lot of money to spend just for bragging rights.
It would make or a crazy fast hydrofoil foil engine too . I've flown the 6m r1 in a buggy in 30 knots in the sand dunes. That was insane!. ... . . .

But yes. I myself don't buy one for your exact reason. But if I was hunting speeds on water or land or snow ice and that was my passion then I would be tooling up with the fastest kite possible. But i'm not hunting maxing speed. I enjoy it and do it when the conditions allow (not very often!) I topped out at just under 90kph in the kite buggy in October. That was fun!. It did that on my little 6m reo. how faster would I have gone if I was on the 6m r1? actually I can tell you. about 5kph faster. As that's how much faster my buddyy was going as he blazed passed me on his 6m r1.

Return to “Snow / Land”