Forum for snow- and landkiters
Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite size question

Postby Don Monnot » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:46 am

Sorry if this has been discussed to death somewhere on the forum, but I can't find an answer when I search.

It's been a while since I've used an open foil kite. I've got a 12m Flexifoil Sabre (2009 vintage) and would like to know the approx. equivalent size in LEI. Is a 12m foil kite about the same as a 15m LEI race kite or a 9m LEI race kite? What say you who really know?

Don

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Re: Kite size question

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Ok I start ... With a question first since the answer is unfortunatelly not so obvious ... : what is your support ? buggy / MTB on hard vs soft ground , ski / snowboard on hard snow or on deep powder ?
The way LEI delivers power against foil kite is different (force amplitude for start phase vs traction angle for speed as a "very" short explanation), so the power comparison will depend on the glide quality you have under your feet ...

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Don Monnot » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:11 pm

I usually ride either skis or a snowboard w/ Switchblade on thin snow cover over ice.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Regis has a point as far as far as the physics of the power delivery because they deliver their power a little different to each other but a foil kite will be more powerfull overall regardless usually 2 sizes up compared to an LEI. so a 12m foil will be like a 14m LEI.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:56 pm

So quite a fast support with a medium "anti-drift support" which goes into the direction to feel that an equivalent LEI size will generate less speed and be more "tractor";

BUT ! I did not know the Sabre in particular before my above comment ; Now after looking at videos , it seems that its Aspect Ratio is particularly low compared to the current foilkites I know; So its L/D ratio should be quite close to an LEI , hence my first guess is that the power and speed will be quite similar to an LEI of the same size. To be completed with the opinion of other kiters knowing this Sabre in particular.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:12 pm

windrider1 wrote:Regis has a point as far as far as the physics of the power delivery because they deliver their power a little different to each other but a foil kite will be more powerfull overall regardless usually 2 sizes up compared to an LEI. so a 12m foil will be like a 14m LEI.
I agree with you for 80% of the configurations; but it can change in case of "bad gliding support" in my opinion ; in some cases like light wind with a big TT or snowkite with deep and sticky snow, planning is easier to catch with a LEI of the same size. For example with my huge spleen door on water, I had approximately the same planning limit of 9-10 knots with a 12m LEI (bandit Dos F-one) as my Flysurder Speed3 15m foilkite. It is a bit extrem I admit but I think a snowkiter can encounter this situation when climbing the slope with loops for example.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Sabre 1 and 2 9m were both roughly the equivalent to a 14/15m LEI. They were essentially the same AR as the same year Ozone Frenzy.

Sabre 1 was either Red or Blue. Had an interesting bar/line set up which worked somewhat like a pulley bar but in a different configuration. Mad for pretty nice bar pressure and fast turn rate, even in the 12m.
Also used a Cobra cleat trim system which was awesome but chewed up trim lines like crazy.

Sabre 2 came in a couple of multi color colorways and had a more traditional bar set up. Had higher bar pressure and IMO was not nearly as nice to fly as the original.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Hardwater Kiter wrote:Sabre 1 and 2 9m were both roughly the equivalent to a 14/15m LEI. They were essentially the same AR as the same year Ozone Frenzy.
Wahou !!! I am impressed ; thanks for the feedback from your experience with the Sabre, certainly more applicable in that case than my own experience on water with another foilkite design.

Return to “Snow / Land”