Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Snow / Land Kite Sport "Munikiteln" (kite + unicycle)

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

New Snow / Land Kite Sport "Munikiteln" (kite + unicycle)

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:16 am

https://youtu.be/J6CjoPId7WM

If you can handle a unicycle, which takes a few days, and you are experienced in kiting, it is pretty easy.
If the wind drops the kite can easily be pulled to stay in the air.
Very nice uncomplicated sport, limited just by driving speed, but speed is not all.
Just take a unicycle and a small light kite as the Flysurfer Peak, cycle to the next field and try it. And don't care, if wind is very low, wrong direction or road very narrow, it will work and be fun anyway. :D

Happy Munikiting

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Re: New Snow / Land Kite Sport "Munikiteln" (kite + unicycle)

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:42 pm

I always get wrecked when I ride the unicycle. :-(

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:13 pm

So basically flying a kite while on a unicycle? Why? The kite is not providing any motive force.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:29 pm

socommk23 wrote:So basically flying a kite while on a unicycle? Why? The kite is not providing any motive force.
Hi socommk23,

no not flying a kite while on a unicycle but being pulled by a kite on a unicycle as on a mountainboard, buggy, snowboard, TT or other vehicles.

Don't be bewildered because the pedals are always turning, there is just no free-wheeling on a unicycle, but the force is delivered by the kite if you want, the legs are just moving free without force and just do a low force job for stability not for propulsion. But the advantage of a municycle is, that you always have the possibility to use your own leg propulsion if you want or it is needed, because kite force is to low or the wind is even to low to keep the kite up. In these moments you just can start to pedal and keep the kite up for miles instead of crashing the kite into a tree.

So when you are munikiting you can nearly go everywhere on nearly every terrain, as you have the the low rolling resistance as on a buggy, the low weight of a mountainboard (so good for jumping) extended with your own propulsion. And if there is absolutely no wind, just pack the kite into backpack and go on municycling. The joy is the easiness.

What impressed me after 20 years of testing new or young sports as for example:
downhill mountain boarding 1997, wind and kite skating 1998, ice kiting and skating 1999, snow surfing, etc.

As I know pretty well how new sport look and feel in the first hours (just check Robby Naish and Co kiting in 1997, they where not even able to go upwind)

I was so impressed how perfect fitting and balanced munikiting felt in the very first two hours you see on the video, therefore I am sure there is some potential. :)

There is nearly no place in the world you can't reach with a unicycle, maybe combined with a kite can bring you even further?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbkL5fNgwpg

@Hardwater Kiter: Never give up :) , it is worth the effort, even if it is just your new shopping car, as I used for a while.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Sorry. But i remain unconvinced. By all means im impressed by the skill combo. However im not sold on the concept. Seen it done on a welsh beach a couple of years ago. Never again untill now.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:52 pm

socommk23 wrote:Sorry. But i remain unconvinced. By all means im impressed by the skill combo. However im not sold on the concept. Seen it done on a welsh beach a couple of years ago. Never again untill now.
Thanks and no problem. :) World would be terrible if everybody would like the same things. I know it looks a bit special, but I am still so exited about the potential for cross country: "just grab your kite and muni and ride towards the sun". I will keep on rolling and checking the potentials anyway, hope tomorrow, as I kept mono foiling which seems to be a similar project :lol:
http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2393935

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:44 am

Next sport is kiteboarding while juggling with one hand.

Have you tried kiting with a skate on one foot and a roller blade on the other?

How about kiting whilst playing badminton? :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:51 pm

fernmanus wrote:Next sport is kiteboarding while juggling with one hand....
Sorry has already been done by Peter Goldbach from boardway.org for a promotion video of the Flysurfer Extacy from 2005. Can't find it.
fernmanus wrote:How about kiting whilst playing badminton? :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:
It seem the combination of unicycling and basketball is pretty popular, there are also special designed unicycle just for basketball (a friend got's one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9vtPU0Edy0

I think sports starts to die,

when most of its participants are thinking, that it is just allowed to be done the one way as the manufacturer is showing in its prospect. If this is the point, the sport can go where every sports go to die, loose their soul and get finally commercialized the hard and ugly way, today called: Olympia. And I fear normal kitesurfing is ready for that, as windsurfing was some years before: http://www.neilpryde.de/crx/movement.html

But don't mind,

there will always be people trying new thinks who don't care if their experiments looks silly as kitesurfing did from 1980s to 1998. Just ask Corey Roesler :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLKMSJTtypU
1-Corey Roesler.jpg
1-Corey Roesler.jpg (20.02 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
When I started landkiting with a mountainboard in 1999 it was as silly as the 0,5 m jump on the photo (check http://www.windskating.com/ "coole videos" if you need more :wink: )
3-landkiting-theresienwiese-1999-.jpg
3-landkiting-theresienwiese-1999-.jpg (21.36 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
But was developing fast, as buggy kiting did before.
4-landkiting-jump-munic-2000.jpg
4-landkiting-jump-munic-2000.jpg (66.58 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
And maybe another pulled vehicle as the unicycle could one day, just lets wait a few years. :)
5-landkiting-jump-munic-2017.jpg
5-landkiting-jump-munic-2017.jpg (93.97 KiB) Viewed 2789 times

Return to “Snow / Land”