Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Would you like to see a Utah ride guide?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Would you like to see a Utah ride guide?

Postby fernmanus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:26 am

I have been thinking about writing a Utah ride guide to Utah Snowkiting. I receive a lot of questions on where to ride from both locals and from riders visiting our state. It makes me sad when I see visitors and locals missing out on the optimal places to ride. For example, Strawberry has 8 launches and Skyline has 4. Depending on wind direction, wind strength, and coverage some locations are going to be better on a given day.

I am not thinking about charging anything, I would just ask that locals give me the 411 when I visit their home spots.

My questions for you. Should I write a pdf or just start a thread on this forum or would someone like to host it elsewhere? What info would you find helpful? In addition to launches, I was going to talk about where to stay and what equipment to bring.

By the way, this is a special year at Strawberry. The conditions are the best I have seen since I started Snowkiting there 15 years ago. The snow is deep with no exposed sagebrush. Skyline is just silly deep with a 100+ inch base.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Would you like to see a Utah ride guide?

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:44 am

Great idea! For sure if you write one post it here as well !

And of course would be great if you could put all info on the spot page of kiteforum!
http://se.kiteforum.com/spots

Windstoked
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Thermalito Afterbay and Sherman Island, California
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Windstoked » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks, Fernmanus.
A Utah snowkite guide would be greatly appreciated.
We originally got our trip planning info from old forum searches, but that's hit and miss at best.
When we arrived, other kiters in the parking lot sometimes knew less than we did.
For example, our first time at Skyline we sat in the parking lot with our kites pumped and rigged because there wasn't enough wind, and a local showed up and hiked a couple hundred yards over onto the base of Bosco's Ridge and kited up. We learned that when the wind is borderline in the parking area, it's often kiteable once you get over on the ridge.
Another time at Skyline it was blowing mild straight east and there was almost zero wind in the parking lot and there also wasn't enough wind on the ridge west of the parking lot because of the wind shadow from Bosco's. We debated hiking up Bosco's to kite the east side of it, but weren't sure if that was a safe area or if there would be enough wind there. We ended up finding a spot about a mile north on Skyline drive where the wind was howling through a low saddle on the ridge and we had a great session.
Our first time to Strawberry we drove in expecting to see a ridge loaded with kiters like you see on the videos, but there were only two kiters on the frozen lake, and after driving 5 miles past it looking for the good spot, we turned around and got info from them (an instructor giving a lesson).
For those learning to glide, the terrain variations at Skyline have significant impact on the best area where even subtle changes in wind direction can be significant.

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:53 pm

+1

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:03 am

+1 It'd be a great tool. Good idea.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:33 am

Windstoked, I really appreciate your comments. The scenarios you mentioned are exactly what I had in mind. By the way, the day you rode the saddle, the wind was out of the NE. You could have also driven across the street to the parking lot on the west side of the road and launched there. The east side of Bosco is rideable and can be awesome on an east day. What is less known is that the south side of Bosco is also rideable when coverage is good (like this year).

I think I will dedicate a thread to each launch and a thread for other topics like forecasting, equipment, etc.

Windstoked
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Thermalito Afterbay and Sherman Island, California
Gear: Core

Postby Windstoked » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Great idea, fernmanus. The kiteforum spots is helpful, but it doesn't include an ongoing thread from users where more detailed info on a launch such as the dynamics of wind direction or current condition updates are discussed. In addition to basic access info, wind data etc., I often find the varied user experiences and discussions of a site more valuable.
Perhaps if an experienced and knowledgeable local just started a separate thread for each major snowkite launch in the snowkite section, it would be more visible to forum readers, because condition or event updates would keep it near the top, at least for the snowkite section where there isn't the volume of new threads that continually push topics off the first page.

MajnoLo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sudbury
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, First Encounter, Pleasure Bay, Nahant, Revere, Vineyard Sound
Gear: Water stuff: CrazyFly board, 8m Switchblade, 9M Naish Park, 11m Switchblade, 12m Omega, 14m Rally, 15m Turbine
Been thanked: 0

Postby MajnoLo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:42 am

Hi there Utah people
I am a kiter (water) from Boston - also a decent skier - headed to SLC towards the end of March. Would love to try snowkiting. Would love to talk to someone about it first though. Any chance I could get a call or a phone number to talk to someone? You can check me out on FB - Lorenzo Majno. My phone number is 617-480-3710 and my email is lorenzo@inspeed.com. THANKS! Dying to try this!

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:32 am

Hi Fernmanus I have been thinking of coming over there from Western CO for 4 to 5 days. Yes what you are describing is what I'm literally looking for right now. I could give you the low down on basic Grand Mesa kiting if you want to try to include western CO.

Return to “Snow / Land”